The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Mason Marchment

Despite the fact it seems he's only put things together for one season - that season seems pretty remarkable.

I'll admit to knowing next to nothing about Mason Marchment, but he could solve our search for some sandpaper in the lineup. Especially if the loss of someone like Boeser or Garland creates a hole for others to move up into.

Good stats for a tweener - https://sportsforecaster.com/nhl/p/25906/Mason_Marchment/stats

Nice bio - 

The son of former NHL defenseman Bryan Marchment is carving out his own role as an aggressive forward who is strong enough to make life miserable for opponents. At 6’4” he is more than willing to use his body at both ends of the ice. Needs to shoot more and flesh out his offensive game. Is willing to stand up for teammates.

Long Range Potential: Big depth forward.

And I think his fancy stats are pretty good too.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Putgolzin said:

Despite the fact it seems he's only put things together for one season - that season seems pretty remarkable.

I'll admit to knowing next to nothing about Mason Marchment, but he could solve our search for some sandpaper in the lineup. Especially if the loss of someone like Boeser or Garland creates a hole for others to move up into.

Good stats for a tweener - https://sportsforecaster.com/nhl/p/25906/Mason_Marchment/stats

Nice bio - 

The son of former NHL defenseman Bryan Marchment is carving out his own role as an aggressive forward who is strong enough to make life miserable for opponents. At 6’4” he is more than willing to use his body at both ends of the ice. Needs to shoot more and flesh out his offensive game. Is willing to stand up for teammates.

Long Range Potential: Big depth forward.

And I think his fancy stats are pretty good too.

Do wonder if his success this year will have somebody significantly over pay for him, or he may just be a guy who figured things out late. 
‘This is certainly the type of guy would like to see added to bottom 6 but price would need to be right and probably short term contract.   If the contract can be buried if he was just a flash in the pan this year would be all for it but can’t have another Poolman contract on the books. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Do wonder if his success this year will have somebody significantly over pay for him, or he may just be a guy who figured things out late. 
‘This is certainly the type of guy would like to see added to bottom 6 but price would need to be right and probably short term contract.   If the contract can be buried if he was just a flash in the pan this year would be all for it but can’t have another Poolman contract on the books. 

The thing is, he's not really a bottom six player if he can prove he's not a flash in the pan.

He was on pace for 70 points this year - albeit on a stacked powerhouse, but also with limited minutes.

So it would definitely be a gamble, but it seems like it could pay off in other ways even if he didn't produce as much.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

I like Marchment, but in typical free agency fashion I feel he's likely going to get more money than he's worth and not live up to it. 

This is it in a nutshell. Nice player, but whoever signs him will likely regret it.

Florida has had a lot of these guys. Grinding-type players who fit well playing alongside skilled guys like Barkov, Huberdeau, and Reinhart. But take Marchment (or other guys like him) away from these ideal circumstances, and I doubt he gets anywhere close to the production he put up this year.

Another example is Sam Bennett. He scored 28 goals and 49 points in only 71 games, and was a +27. If he were going to free agency, would you pay him based on those numbers? Especially since he hadn't scored more than 13 goals since his rookie season in Calgary, and was a combined -66 prior to the trade to Florida. But on that team, surrounded by those players, he has excelled. I wouldn't want to bet he (or Marchment) could do it elsewhere.

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, D-Money said:

This is it in a nutshell. Nice player, but whoever signs him will likely regret it.

Florida has had a lot of these guys. Grinding-type players who fit well playing alongside skilled guys like Barkov, Huberdeau, and Reinhart. But take Marchment (or other guys like him) away from these ideal circumstances, and I doubt he gets anywhere close to the production he put up this year.

Another example is Sam Bennett. He scored 28 goals and 49 points in only 71 games, and was a +27. If he were going to free agency, would you pay him based on those numbers? Especially since he hadn't scored more than 13 goals since his rookie season in Calgary, and was a combined -66 prior to the trade to Florida. But on that team, surrounded by those players, he has excelled. I wouldn't want to bet he (or Marchment) could do it elsewhere.

For sure, every year in free agency this happens....young-ish players on ELC or small contract that has somewhat of a "breakout" season before he's a FA and some team gives him triple or more what he made assuming his protectory will continue on the same path and next thing you know you have a $3.5-4 million a year player who's on your 3rd or 4th line. I'm not saying Marchment won't or can't continue to progress but it's just as likely or more that we won't. Teams will likely have no problem paying him based on his age and his tenacity but to count on him being a 40-50 point guy on a less talented team is risky.

He has pretty limited NHL experience and a small sample size so paying him based on 1 year is a risk, especially like you said playing surrounded with top end talent. His previous high point total in the NHL was 10 points. He has one season of relevancy and he's ripe to be overpaid on such small sample size. 

Edited by Harold Drunken

Agree with other posters essentially giving the buyer beware take.

Marchment was fairly underwhelming with the Leafs though he was reasonably productive with the Marlies.  Despite his size, I don't find him to be particularly physical so I wouldn't sign him with the expectation of him providing a new physical dimension to the middle/bottom 6.  The whole FLA team was terrible against Tampa which means that every player would have lessons to learn, but that has to be a bit of a concern for Marchment's value for another team.

Would I mind the Canucks signing Marchment?  Not particularly, especially if it was at low cost.  It's probably not going to be at low cost however, and if that's the case, then I think the money can probably be better spent elsewhere, particularly given the uncertainty about whether Marchment's production can be replicated.

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

The whole FLA team was terrible against Tampa which means that every player would have lessons to learn, but that has to be a bit of a concern for Marchment's value for another team.

FWIW, Marchment was injured, and didn’t play in that series. He only played the first 4 games against the Capitals.

His stats against the Caps weren’t good, but he may have been trying to play through an injury.

2 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

For sure, every year in free agency this happens....young-ish players on ELC or small contract that has somewhat of a "breakout" season before he's a FA and some team gives him triple or more what he made assuming his protectory will continue on the same path and next thing you know you have a $3.5-4 million a year player who's on your 3rd or 4th line. I'm not saying Marchment won't or can't continue to progress but it's just as likely or more that we won't. Teams will likely have no problem paying him based on his age and his tenacity but to count on him being a 40-50 point guy on a less talented team is risky.

He has pretty limited NHL experience and a small sample size so paying him based on 1 year is a risk, especially like you said playing surrounded with top end talent. His previous high point total in the NHL was 10 points. He has one season of relevancy and he's ripe to be overpaid on such small sample size. 

You mean like Sam Gagner?

Or Antoine Roussel?

Or even Tucker Poolman?

…I have no desire to go down this road again. It’s much better to identify who has the talent to break out BEFORE it happens, and buy low. That’s what Florida did with Marchment, Bennett, Verhaeghe, Forsling, etc. 

• Like 1

You just know playing on that Panther team inflated his abilities, he's basically a 27-goal pace scoring big strong 3rd liner with size but also some sick hands and speed. However, that Florida team play high-tempo, if you slow him down and get him to play more of a checking game then that offence is going to dry up for sure. He's going to get a silly contract from someone who thinks he can bust into a top-6 and he may swim, but he's probably going to suck.

FWIW Marchment actually played primarily on the third line with Lundell and Reinhart, which granted are still stud players. He only swapped in on the top line with Barkov occassionally. 

Marchment really intrigues me because his numbers were sensational while only playing 14 minutes a game and in a bottom 6 role. I don’t know if he’s a one year wonder or a late bloomer. If the price isn’t heavy, I’d be intrigued to try to take a run at him especially because we need to add size. I also don’t think we’re really in a position to add a top 9 forward though without moving an established player. As it is we need to find room for Kuzmenko in our top 9. I think our attention should be focused elsewhere. But if the price isn’t steep, I’m definitely intrigued at the very least.