The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Kings re-sign Kevin Fiala

33 minutes ago, JM_ said:

with Fiala and a healthy Doughty, I think they would take out EDM pretty easily. 

I wonder if Calgary now caves in and gives lil Johnny and Tkatchup 10 mil each?

If Calgary does that, they'll be the Leafs of the West.

• Cheers 4

Just now, BPA said:

It puts Boeser at $6.5-$7M.  Miller at $8.5-$9M.  Both with term and some NMC that turns to M-NTC in the later years of the contract.

I could see it bumping Miller to 8.5-9.5 but that could just be my having had his pay expectations higher than many to begin with. 

If it bumps Boeser closer to 6.5-7 I could see this deal helping get a Boeser deal done here sooner than later as suddenly his much maligned qualifying offer might not be as far off as initially thought. Boeser likely still has to take a hair cut to get a deal done, but his deal likely still ends up being more than the 6M or less some people have been throwing about. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, BPA said:

It puts Boeser at $6.5-$7M.  Miller at $8.5-$9M.  Both with term and some NMC that turns to M-NTC in the later years of the contract.

I think Fiala is expected to produce at his current rate through all 7 years of his contract.  Miller will almost certainly be expected to decline.  So it really depends on total dollars.  What’s the term on Miller at 9 or 8.5?  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Fiala is expected to produce at his current rate through all 7 years of his contract.  Miller will almost certainly be expected to decline.  So it really depends on total dollars.  What’s the term on Miller at 9 or 8.5?  

Term would probably be 5-6 yrs.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

$8.5 x 7  ?

(less if he wants it out 8 years,

and please..

play your cards tight to your vest with every contract, movement clauses, et al.)

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm curious as to how it'll impact the prices afforded to other pending RFA's, but also how it'll impact the price of UFA's

If Fiala gets almost 8M where does that put Boeser and Miller? Fiala just had a career year but if you look at his other seasons Boeser was arguably more impressive. 

Look at the difference in linemates though.  Russo talks of how Fiala always seems to draw the short straw when it comes to linemates since joining the Wild.  Even Guerin acknowledged that Fiala didn't have offensive talent to play with before they brought up Boldy in January.

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Look at the difference in linemates though.  Russo talks of how Fiala always seems to draw the short straw when it comes to linemates since joining the Wild.  Even Guerin acknowledged that Fiala didn't have offensive talent to play with before they brought up Boldy in January.

A fair point, Fiala will certainly get quality linemates in LA. They've got a really good thing going on there between their prospect pool, young players, prime aged guys, and savvy cup winning vets. 

But I still think it'll bump up the RFA pricing market, Boeser's agent is going to argue his numbers vs Fiala's. Management might dig deep and argue linemates and opportunity but the numbers still matter. 

53 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Watch him help Byfield take the next step 

they must be banking on that a bit. LA has kind of made its playoff move for next year with this, burning the 1st and the big contract. They only have <12 mil in cap space left and a lot of RFAs to sign. 

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

A fair point, Fiala will certainly get quality linemates in LA. They've got a really good thing going on there between their prospect pool, young players, prime aged guys, and savvy cup winning vets. 

But I still think it'll bump up the RFA pricing market, Boeser's agent is going to argue his numbers vs Fiala's. Management might dig deep and argue linemates and opportunity but the numbers still matter. 

Agents/teams are now also starting to use advanced stats in negotiating deals.  Foligno said he learned a lot on advanced stats during his contract negotiations.  

Fiala has been considerably more productive than Boeser this season.  He also has the edge over the past 3 seasons.

• Boeser 62 goals and 140pts in 184 games  - 0.76ppg   93pts at EV
  • Fiala 76 goals and 179pts in 196 games - 0.91ppg       129pts at EV

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, mll said:

Agents/teams are now also starting to use advanced stats in negotiating deals.  Foligno said he learned a lot on advanced stats during his contract negotiations.  

Fiala has been considerably more productive than Boeser this season.  He also has the edge over the past 3 seasons.

And his last season showed him take a leap boeser has still done. Been consistent and healthy for a full year and surpassed 30 goals.

this signing should be good for contract negotiations imo with Boeser he should be clearly under these numbers. 

49 minutes ago, BPA said:

Yup.

Fiala had a breakout year and cashed in big.  Previous years he put similar point totals to Boeser.

One would think Boeser should be getting around $7M x 7yrs just by looking at Fiala deal.  

Yeah I think when Benning structured the deal for Boes, the QO was probably not even a concern as he was trending to be a perrenial all star. 

19 minutes ago, JM_ said:

they must be banking on that a bit. LA has kind of made its playoff move for next year with this, burning the 1st and the big contract. They only have <12 mil in cap space left and a lot of RFAs to sign. 

I think it'll work, but I'm also really high on Byfield. I think he's gonna be a stud. 

With Brown coming off the books this season and Quick coming off the books next season I think they'll be alright. They'll also be rid of Phaneuf's dead 1M in cap after this coming season too.

11 minutes ago, mll said:

Boeser should get less, certainly, but I still reckon it'll drive the overall RFA pricing Gauge up. And especially the UFA pricing gauge. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, mll said:

Fiala at 0.91ppg = 75pts per 82 game season = $7.875M x 7yrs.

Boeser at 0.76ppg = 62pts per 82 game season = ??

1 hour ago, Harold Drunken said:

That's a lot of money for a guy with one breakout season. This is his first time topping 60 points and has never scored more than 30 until this year but he's still young too. 

Poor kaprizov. He got his money but now he's going to surrounded by a lack of skilled offensive guys

• Upvote 1

Just now, BPA said:

Fiala at 0.91ppg = 75pts per 82 game season = $7.875M x 7yrs.

Boeser at 0.76ppg = 62pts per 82 game season = ??

There's also play driving to factor in.  Fiala drives his line - it was not Bonino, Rask or Gaudreau (his Cs the past couple of seasons).  Boeser played with Miller, Horvat or Pettersson as his Cs. 

4 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Poor kaprizov. He got his money but now he's going to surrounded by a lack of skilled offensive guys

Kaprizov and Fiala don't play together - weren't even on the same PP unit for most of the season.  Kaprizov has been tied to the hip to Zuccarello ever since joining the Wild.

Boldy looks very promising and Guerin hopes Rossi/Jost will replace Fiala on that Boldy-Gaudreau line.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

There's also play driving to factor in.  Fiala drives his line - it was not Bonino, Rask or Gaudreau (his Cs the past couple of seasons).  Boeser played with Miller, Horvat or Pettersson as his Cs. 

Yup. A great example of his play was vs us in that play in round. Really shocked me how well he progressed over the years. He's even better now