The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jets hire Rick Bowness as head coach

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I hope Jets can keep there top centres around Scheifele 29, Wheeler 35, Dubois 24 RFA will demand new big contract..

Dubois 24, 6'3 - C/W -- RFA  might want a new home..Short term deal if he is not traded.. 2 yrs X 7.4 million

I thought Rick wanted to take some time off... Thought that's why he resigned his post at Dallas? 

Anyway, good choice for Jets.  I think Bones is top 5 coach's in the league.  As a result of this hiring alone, I won't be surprised to see Jets make playoffs... this year anyway.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I thought Rick wanted to take some time off... Thought that's why he resigned his post at Dallas? 

Anyway, good choice for Jets.  I think Bones is top 5 coach's in the league.  As a result of this hiring alone, I won't be surprised to see Jets make playoffs... this year anyway.  

Jets probably gave him an offer he couldn't refuse. Might also only be a short term hire, with an eye on hiring Trotz if and when he comes back. 

Think Bowness is better as the #2.  Hiring Trotz is a bit of a pipe dream though *currently*.  Him, an actual native of Manitoba, has said he's not interested in the Jets open position (though it wasn't really a knock on the Jets organization as he won't commit right now to *any* particular team):

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/barry-trotz-reportedly-not-coaching-next-nhl-season-1.6502582#:~:text='I could not commit to,commitment to winning. ...

5 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I agree look what Rick did with that Dallas team over 3 yrs. Bowness is a players coach, so maybe Scheifele 29, Wheeler 35 and Dubois will want to stay. Jets have a decent team and a good goalie.. Hope there centres stay around..

• Cheers 1

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Report] Jets hire Rick Bowness as head coach

Fans on CDC complain about Vancouver.

Winnipeg I think is in a worse spot. They are in win now or else territory, and they are losing depth.

I guess it depends on if the scuttlebutt is true that there's divisions in the room.

And you have a forward in PLD that is looking to test the market as a UFA.

I don't envy Rick at all.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Fans on CDC complain about Vancouver.

Winnipeg I think is in a worse spot. They are in win now or else territory, and they are losing depth.

I guess it depends on if the scuttlebutt is true that there's divisions in the room.

And you have a forward in PLD that is looking to test the market as a UFA.

I don't envy Rick at all.

Two year window with PLD.  I wonder if the Jets would value Garland a bit more than some other teams because he’s signed for four more years?  I sure like Pionk.