The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Mike Yeo, Trent Cull as assistant coaches; name Jeremy Colliton as Abbotsford head coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Seems like it will be a good cop bad cop scenario with Boudreau and Yeo.

He might not have the charisma and the likability of Boudreau but he doesn’t need to. He needs to be the X’s and O’s guy that pushes them hard in practice. It was obvious this team seriously lacked structure in the way they played. That’s where he comes in.

Hopefully it’s a situation where he makes a better assistant coach than a head coach.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So basically Green ran his bench like Benning ran his management group. Only allowing a couple guys to make all the decisions.

Seems like the opposite approach is being taken now where they want as many voices being heard as possible.

It was obvious Shaw wasn’t being utilized properly from the beginning. Provably a scenario where Green didn’t wanna give the control to someone who was clearly a better coach but also someone he likely didn’t agree to bring on board.

The more we hear about the previous regime, the more I get the impression they had low self confidence.  They didn’t want anyone else questioning their choices.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The more we hear about the previous regime, the more I get the impression they had low self confidence.  They didn’t want anyone else questioning their choices.  

Aqua got what he wanted which was a cheap and lean management and coaching group. The results should have not been surprising.

At least ownership seems to realize their mistake and are spending big for a winner. It will pay off in the long run.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Wow, these recent parting comments from Brad Shaw are pretty revealing:

Shaw said he really enjoyed working for Boudreau. He hadn’t really had a role to fill under Travis Green, but under Boudreau he was put in charge of the defence and then later the penalty kill and played a big role in the success the Canucks had over the second half.

“I took a job initially I thought I would love but I felt lost. With the coaching change I felt like I had a chance, more functional. I thank Jimmy Rutherford and Patrik Allvin because it gave me a chance to work again”

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-coaching-staff-changes

This does not reflect well on either Green or Benning.

To hire a guy with Shaw’s abilities and background and then not use him with the defence or PK was a really curious move, at the time, and became closer to unforgivable as weeks passed and the team struggled, particularly in those very areas of the game.

Green’s unwillingness to shuffle the decks, when clearly things weren’t working, was a fatal flaw. Shaw should have been given Baumgartner’s role, working directly with the D and the PK.

And management should have stepped in and forced Green’s hand, if he wasn’t willing to make that change on his own.

You don’t hire a guy like Shaw, known around the league as a “defenceman whisperer” and PK expert, basically a guy tailor made for coaching the areas where this team needed help (and struggled to near historic levels last season), and then leave him with basically no role on the coaching staff.

Unsurprisingly, when the firings came, and Bruce was brought in, Shaw was finally given the role he was meant for, and suddenly those areas where the team had struggled mightily (defence and PK) dramatically improved. Even with flawed personnel and no significant roster changes.

That says a lot.

Shaw’s comment that the coaching and management change in Vancouver “gave me a chance to work again” tells us everything we need to know about what was wrong with how things were being run under the previous coach and manager. 

Geez.  I always like to stay positive about tough situations and gave the old regime the benefit of the doubt but this is something else.  It truly was the blind leading the blind and makes me even more grateful that FA finally pulled the plug and brought in a tried and true guy in JR.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So basically Green ran his bench like Benning ran his management group. Only allowing a couple guys to make all the decisions.

Seems like the opposite approach is being taken now where they want as many voices being heard as possible.

It was obvious Shaw wasn’t being utilized properly from the beginning. Provably a scenario where Green didn’t wanna give the control to someone who was clearly a better coach but also someone he likely didn’t agree to bring on board.

The fact Shaw’s even willing to speak openly about these issues says a lot. 

He’s known as one of the “nice guys” in the game, a high character individual, and a class act.

And hockey people are notoriously tight lipped and cautious about criticism directed toward their previous employers.

For Shaw to say what he did, it’s almost certain that (1) the environment under Benning/Green was likely several multiples worse than what he’s willing to say publicly, and (2) these issues were already well known around the league.

Makes even more sense now why Rutherford has placed so much importance on building an open, collaborative, diverse, and supportive group on the management side. And why Boudreau worked so hard on rebuilding confidence and trust, and just making hockey fun again for the players. The environment was clearly becoming toxic in Vancouver under the previous regime, and those issues needed to be addressed quickly and with a significant focus and energy, before they became systemic to this organization.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typos
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He’s known as one of the “nice guys” in the game, a high character individual, and a class act.

And hockey people are notoriously tight lipped and cautious about criticism directed toward their previous employers.

For Shaw to say what he did, it’s almost certain that (1) the environment under Benning/Green was likely several multiples worse than what he’s willing to say publicly, and (2) these issues were already well known around the league.

Makes even more sense now why Rutherford has placed so much importance on building an open, collaborative, diverse, and supportive group on the management side. And why Boudreau worked so hard on rebuilding confidence and trust, and just making hockey fun again for the players. The environment was clearly becoming toxic in Vancouver under the previous regime, and those issues needed to be addressed quickly and with a significant focus and energy, before they became systemic to this organization.

Well said.

Yea I mean this kind of confirms what everyone was hearing. It was not a good situation in that room. You had a coach that was feeling the heat and making it miserable for everyone.

Hopefully a lot of that damage can be undone and the players can just enjoy playing hockey again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It just shows me Green has some maturing to do. Instead of using Shaw, he froze him out like some junior manager afraid of other skilled people in the room. Instead he leans on the disaster yes man that was Baumer. Good riddance, I'd be surprised if Green got another job anywhere but Arizona. 

• Cheers 2

On 7/1/2022 at 1:32 PM, Toyotasfan said:

Yeo seems like a fundamental structure guy that lacks leadership and people skills, he’s probably a great assistant but you never want things to go bad enough to promote him to head coach. 

iMo I would take TG as head coach over Mike Yeo.  Even though Yeo has a much higher career winning % than TG. ( which is sad )

All I remember was if we didn't resign TG he would be snagged up immediately & that not signing him would not be good for us. 

A few months later he is fired & we are one of the better teams in the league instantly & he doesn't seem to be on anyone's coach, assistant coach or even AHL teams interest...lol.:picard:

Bruce or many others > TG    all day & every day.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Shaw said he really enjoyed working for Boudreau. He hadn’t really had a role to fill under Travis Green, but under Boudreau he was put in charge of the defence and then later the penalty kill and played a big role in the success the Canucks had over the second half.

“I took a job initially I thought I would love but I felt lost. With the coaching change I felt like I had a chance, more functional. I thank Jimmy Rutherford and Patrik Allvin because it gave me a chance to work again”

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-coaching-staff-changes

To hire a guy with Shaw’s abilities and background and then not use him with the defence or PK was a really curious move, at the time, and became closer to unforgivable as weeks passed and the team struggled, particularly in those very areas of the game.

Green’s unwillingness to shuffle the decks, when clearly things weren’t working, was a fatal flaw. Shaw should have been given Baumgartner’s role, working directly with the D and the PK.

And management should have stepped in and forced Green’s hand, if he wasn’t willing to make that change on his own.

You don’t hire a guy like Shaw, known around the league as a “defenceman whisperer” and PK expert, basically a guy tailor made for coaching the areas where this team needed help (and struggled to near historic levels last season), and then leave him with basically no role on the coaching staff.

Unsurprisingly, when the firings came, and Bruce was brought in, Shaw was finally given the role he was meant for, and suddenly those areas where the team had struggled mightily (defence and PK) dramatically improved. Even with flawed personnel and no significant roster changes.

That says a lot.

Shaw’s comment that the coaching and management change in Vancouver “gave me a chance to work again” tells us everything we need to know about what was wrong with how things were being run under the previous coach and manager. 

Damning quotes. How anyone could look back and defend Green or Benning at this point is beyond me.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

That says a lot.

Sid I was banging this drum all of last season. 

It was inexplicable that Green didn't use Shaw in that role. 

When Shaw and Gustafson got added to the squad, Travis Green did an interview last summer where he talked about Shaw getting a bit of a different role then he was used to. He said that Baumgartner would keep his D men position and that Shaw would just be a side assistant coach not in charge of anything in particular (of course Green made it sound better then that). 

56 minutes ago, awalk said:

Damning quotes. How anyone could look back and defend Green or Benning at this point is beyond me.

If I was in charge of Arizona I would think about hiring Benning as a GM with a President of Hockey Operations above him. 

Jimbo was put in a position to fail and wasn't given much support here. 

Green should be an assistant coach for a while before he gets another opportunity. 

I have no issues defending Benning as a 7/10 GM. He took 8 years to accomplish what should've been accomplished in 5. Bad coaching decisions, ownership mingling, etc. 

25 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

If I was in charge of Arizona I would think about hiring Benning as a GM with a President of Hockey Operations above him. 

Jimbo was put in a position to fail and wasn't given much support here. 

Green should be an assistant coach for a while before he gets another opportunity. 

I have no issues defending Benning as a 7/10 GM. He took 8 years to accomplish what should've been accomplished in 5. Bad coaching decisions, ownership mingling, etc. 

I'd give him a 4/10 

1 hour ago, awalk said:

Benning doesn't honestly deserve as much of the blame for the product on the ice, but the fact that HE was the one who extended Green really shows how he shot himself in the foot, despite all the decent decisions made before that.

If Green didn't run this bench, maybe Benning's teams would have done better. Green was DEFINITELY the problem, and Benning failed to identify/address that.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

9 minutes ago, awalk said:

I'd give him a 4/10 

And Gillis? Lmfao...

Gillis may have brought a winning product, but when it comes to Gillis' drafting and development, the Canucks got siphoned dry, leading to an erosion of futures. Gillis was a 8/10 when everything was going fine, but when taking into account the prices that were paid to get to that point, it's closer to a 3 or a 4.

39 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Sid I was banging this drum all of last season. 

It was inexplicable that Green didn't use Shaw in that role. 

When Shaw and Gustafson got added to the squad, Travis Green did an interview last summer where he talked about Shaw getting a bit of a different role then he was used to. He said that Baumgartner would keep his D men position and that Shaw would just be a side assistant coach not in charge of anything in particular (of course Green made it sound better then that). 

Yeah, I know. I remember being psyched about Shaw getting hired and what he might accomplish with our Dmen and special teams. Then I heard about how the roles would be divided on Green’s staff, and was a little confused, but willing to give it a chance (I usually try to be optimistic and give these things the benefit of the doubt).

When the team struggled so massively out of the gate last season, I figured they’d tap Shaw and get him working on fixing the problems on the D and PK. But that just never happened. Until Bruce was hired, that is.

Hearing that not only was he not utilized where he could have made a real difference, but was basically sidelined and ended up feeling like he had next to zero input or real role on Green’s staff is really disappointing.

Shaw actually saying he felt “lost” and wasn’t given the chance to “work again” until Benning/Weisbrod and Green/Baumgartner got canned is just insane.

Should have never happened that way.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1