The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What it's TRULY like to be a Canucks fan...

Rate this topic

iceman64

6 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Yeah and guess who drafted him out of DePaul? He turned into a Red demon!  The Bulls were arguably the luckiest team in the NBA to land him. 

By DePaul, you probably mean North Carolina.  You know, the real school that Jordan went to.  DePaul.  That's just phucking phunny.

6 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Yeah and guess who drafted him out of DePaul? He turned into a Red demon!  The Bulls were arguably the luckiest team in the NBA to land him. 

what on earth are you talking about? are you from an alternate reality?

Some fans are patient.   Our fanbase deserves to have impatient fans.   All types inbetween are acceptable.   That said send most your complains to Bettman for expanding the league and creating a salary cup that screws our teams over.   32 teams.  36.4-53% tax brackets.   

Edited by IBatch

On 7/1/2022 at 4:19 PM, Baggins said:

Again....

Sad.gif.b01ff848e3724cd7517c29726b315a2c.gif

Yet some here just love to play devil's advocate and go against anything simply because they can.

I don't know that anyone's had a pre-game skate/talking to by a ref. Pretty uncommon.

Then there's that Luongo deal.....special sets of rules.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

50 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Yet some here just love to play devil's advocate and go against anything simply because they can.

I don't know that anyone's had a pre-game skate/talking to by a ref. Pretty uncommon.

Then there's that Luongo deal.....special sets of rules.

Well, I'm not a blind homer Deb if that's what you mean. But I'm not a devils advocate though either. The devils advocate takes an opposing view for the sake of taking an opposing view regardless of what they actually believe. I just call them as I see them as the rules apply. Disliking an outcome doesn't make that outcome wrong or illegal. That's called being objective. Homers hate people being objective and will accuse them of being trolls because they lack objectivity.

I agree completely on the Burrows thing and the calls in the game were pure revenge. I never defended that. I do have a Burrows jersey and was among the few defending his being on the team the season before the massive Clutch thread was even started. At least that ref is out of the league.

That CBA clause didn't apply to Luongo alone. It was cap circumvention and I stated that at the time. I even said it would come back to bite us in the butt. It did and I can live with that because I do believe you reap what you sow. But we weren't the only team affected by it. Fans here only seem believe we were. There's that homerism and woe, woe, is us syndrome! We did take the brunt of that clause because Lou would rather work than go on LTI and sit around until his contract expired. Largley because he wanted to work for the team his LTI would have affected. Affecting us simply didn't matter to him. But we reaped the benefit of that cap circumvention as and won two presidents cups.Then we paid the price for it. Blame Lou for not playing out the contract he signed "in good faith".

On 7/2/2022 at 6:52 AM, bigbadcanucks said:

By DePaul, you probably mean North Carolina.  You know, the real school that Jordan went to.  DePaul.  That's just phucking phunny.

No he played for DePaul... Go check.. 

On 7/1/2022 at 12:58 PM, higgyfan said:

And most of them, at least...have won a SC.:sadno:

And/or a draft lottery.

Which other teams in this league, other than recent expansion teams, have NOT won a Stanley Cup and NOT won the draft lottery?

2 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

Try starting at 5 years old. Live through the first few years and hope against all hope we would somehow have a player like Bobby Orr, Guy Lafleur, Bossy, Gretzky, to cheer for as a kid Vancouver won one Championship in 1979 and I wasnt a real soccer fan. We finally won a grey cup in 1985 the year i turned 20. It meant a lot but no where near as much as it would have was i 10.

The Canucks have been a poor franchise most of my life so I dont get too worked up over small successes.

In 82 they got lucky with the oilers getting bounced out by the Kings. We didnt play a team with a better than 500 record until we hit the Islanders. if we had won game 1 it may have been a longer series but we really had no chance against them. The city went nuts.

When Pat Quinn took over i thought we had a chance. He built a pretty good team, thru trades mostly, but did Draft Linden and Bure. They should have won it all in 94 but the league made sure to give "both teams a rest" and move the game 7 one day back so the Rangers could rest up. They were in trouble and the league knew it.That was a great spring.This city comes alive when the Canucks run deep in the playoffs. The three OT winners against the Flames were pretty special that year.

In 2011, well it almost happened. When Burrows scored the winning goal in game 2 I thought hell had almost frozen over. A couple of bad calls, the suspension of Aaron Rome who was the last healthy Canuck D man, the loss of Hamhuis to a hip injury, Burrows biting Bergeron woke up a sleeping Bruins team. It still could have finished well for us but alas Luongo couldnt shut the door especially in Bean town.Another Almost.

Unfortunately for anyone that has lived through all seasons of this team, There's been way too many almosts.Way too many swings and misses. Far too few drafts with a Linden a Bure, a Sedin twins. Far too many Nedveds, Virtanens, Daigneaults, Sandlaks, Who can forget the great success of Dan Woodley or Rob Murphy, Jason Herter, Alex Stojanov(who became Naslund i know), Libor Polasek, I could list them all but that would take more space here.

Along the way i had wondered if my Dad would ever see a Canucks Stanley Cup Parade. Got that answer in 2018 when my Dad passed. Now in my mid 50s i wonder if i will ever see one. Life isnt fair. It hasnt been easy being a sports fan in Vancouver. We got lucky with Jim Robson. Tom Larscheid. Howie Meeker. Babe Pratt. Bernie Pascall. Steve Armitage. Jim Hughson, John Shorthouse. Listening to Jim Robson on a little transistor radio under the covers when Mom told you to turn it off and go to sleep. Even down 6-0 i still have that hope that we will stage the miracle comeback. Even starting as horrible as last year i still watched every game thinking if we could just get into the playoffs. They almost did. Thats what being a Canucks fan is like.

Perfectly said and really captures how I feel as well. You're not too far ahead if me age wise, so this hits home. 

Really love your point about having hope. It's a special thing - I've come to understand - that often teaches you things about yourself you otherwise wouldn't have known or experienced if you weren't Canucks fan ... namely how to maintain hope through difficult, seemingly impossible circumstances.

Also, how to handle disappointment - as your relationship with being disappointed changes - yet still be hopeful while appreciating the good things that do happen within bad seasons.

I remember watching the 82 finals at my grandmother's house, knowing the Canucks didn't have a chance whatsoever ... yet there was still something inside me that said ... "What if" and believed in the possibility of an impossible comeback despite the odds. Of course we got thumped by the Islanders - which taught me how sometimes you have to  accept reality ... but as a fan, I never ever want to lose that "what if" hope. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

Try starting at 5 years old. Live through the first few years and hope against all hope we would somehow have a player like Bobby Orr, Guy Lafleur, Bossy, Gretzky, to cheer for as a kid Vancouver won one Championship in 1979 and I wasnt a real soccer fan. We finally won a grey cup in 1985 the year i turned 20. It meant a lot but no where near as much as it would have was i 10.

The Canucks have been a poor franchise most of my life so I dont get too worked up over small successes.

In 82 they got lucky with the oilers getting bounced out by the Kings. We didnt play a team with a better than 500 record until we hit the Islanders. if we had won game 1 it may have been a longer series but we really had no chance against them. The city went nuts.

When Pat Quinn took over i thought we had a chance. He built a pretty good team, thru trades mostly, but did Draft Linden and Bure. They should have won it all in 94 but the league made sure to give "both teams a rest" and move the game 7 one day back so the Rangers could rest up. They were in trouble and the league knew it.That was a great spring.This city comes alive when the Canucks run deep in the playoffs. The three OT winners against the Flames were pretty special that year.

In 2011, well it almost happened. When Burrows scored the winning goal in game 2 I thought hell had almost frozen over. A couple of bad calls, the suspension of Aaron Rome who was the last healthy Canuck D man, the loss of Hamhuis to a hip injury, Burrows biting Bergeron woke up a sleeping Bruins team. It still could have finished well for us but alas Luongo couldnt shut the door especially in Bean town.Another Almost.

Unfortunately for anyone that has lived through all seasons of this team, There's been way too many almosts.Way too many swings and misses. Far too few drafts with a Linden a Bure, a Sedin twins. Far too many Nedveds, Virtanens, Daigneaults, Sandlaks, Who can forget the great success of Dan Woodley or Rob Murphy, Jason Herter, Alex Stojanov(who became Naslund i know), Libor Polasek, I could list them all but that would take more space here.

Along the way i had wondered if my Dad would ever see a Canucks Stanley Cup Parade. Got that answer in 2018 when my Dad passed. Now in my mid 50s i wonder if i will ever see one. Life isnt fair. It hasnt been easy being a sports fan in Vancouver. We got lucky with Jim Robson. Tom Larscheid. Howie Meeker. Babe Pratt. Bernie Pascall. Steve Armitage. Jim Hughson, John Shorthouse. Listening to Jim Robson on a little transistor radio under the covers when Mom told you to turn it off and go to sleep. Even down 6-0 i still have that hope that we will stage the miracle comeback. Even starting as horrible as last year i still watched every game thinking if we could just get into the playoffs. They almost did. Thats what being a Canucks fan is like.

Well at least we had the best media guys ever.   If those amount to cups we'd have a handful anyways.   I'm still waiting for our Potvin or Bobby Clarke.  Gretzky i got at the time pretty fast was just something that comes once in a century or so.    Then it happened again in PIT lol.    No wonder PHI was ready to give the farm for Lindros who was equally as hyped.     Despite all this somehow i'm still hopeful!   Maybe i should go get my brain checked.  

Edit:  A few years ago THN did a fan suffering issue - was a big mag like a small book lol.  Guess who won!  We did.   Next up Buffalo.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Perfectly said and really captures how I feel as well. You're not too far ahead if me age wise, so this hits home. 

Really love your point about having hope. It's a special thing - I've come to understand - that often teaches you things about yourself you otherwise wouldn't have known or experienced if you weren't Canucks fan ... namely how to maintain hope through difficult, seemingly impossible circumstances.

Also, how to handle disappointment - as your relationship with being disappointed changes - yet still be hopeful while appreciating the good things that do happen within bad seasons.

I remember watching the 82 finals at my grandmother's house, knowing the Canucks didn't have a chance whatsoever ... yet there was still something inside me that said ... "What if" and believed in the possibility of an impossible comeback despite the odds. Of course we got thumped by the Islanders - which taught me how sometimes you have to  accept reality ... but as a fan, I never ever want to lose that "what if" hope. 

That year virtually every sports analyst and writer had the Oilers and Isles in the final with a reasonable majority picking the Isles to win. After the first round I realized they had a real shot to make the finals. The only two teams to worry about in the west were both upset in the first round. I said to a friend that if somebody in the east miraculously upsets the Islanders the Canucks could have a shot at the cup. But I went into that final fully expecting the Nucks to get thumped in 4 straight. But game 1 actually reset me to guardedly optimistic taking them to OT. Game 2 was even pretty good but I think that loss really took the wind out of their sails. Games 3 & 4 they were what I had expected for the entire series. They were just dominated in those next two games.

Btw, my first Lions cup was the Willie and Joe show in 1964. Willie Fleming and Joe Kapp were my favorite players. I was young but it was pretty exciting after losing the Grey Cup year before. My older brother (18 years older) took me to games. About 10 years ago I bought a Lions jesey and had Fleming's name and number put on it.

Personally I don't actually care that much about the Canucks win the cup. At my age the odds are against it. But if I learned anything from the Lions Grey Cups it's that it doesn't really have any affect on your life. It's exciting when it happens and it's kind of fun rubbing it in on friends that are fans of other teams. But it's fleeting compared to watching a full season of great hockey or football from your team week after week. So really that's what I care about most, just that full season of enjoying watching a good team. After Green was replaced last season was fun to watch. It would certainly be nice if they won it, but that's not as important to me as just having a good team that's fun to watch all season long. Through the WCE period to the Sedin era man the Canucks were fun to watch. Honestly, I loved those years more then the Lions winning the Grey cup. I go into each season the same way though - guardedly optimistic.

• Cheers 1