The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Current Construction of the Vancouver Canucks

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

On 7/7/2022 at 9:08 PM, kilgore said:

We both have a penchant for long replies, and hopefully patient reading.  B)

It looks like we actually agree on probably a majority of things.  Only sticking point is that you seem to want to rate Gillis even lower than Benning. Meh. For me its hard to compare apples and oranges. One inherited a team on the rise, one a team almost at the end of its cycle. IMO Gillis only did what any GM would in that position with a contending team.  His only real fault was drafting. A department he never claimed to be an expert in.

I assumed by that you were defending JB as a good GM.  My mistake.  I agree  with this : "Some of my point is that this should have never of happened in the first place. This stems from the let's win now, screw the farm, don't build BUY"

I backed Benning and gave him a honeymoon period like any good polite Canadian will do.  I trusted he knew more than me when he exclaimed he could 'turn it around quickly'.  Even if Torts, Linden, and Gillis said otherwise.  But after a few years I started growing uneasy with his performance. Even just dumb things like blurting out at the season ticket fan press conference that he had not even tried to deal Ryan Miller at all, when most thought he had been as it was the prudent thing to try and get something for him as Marky was developing fast. The fans in the room audibly gasped.  I thought he at least should have been aware that that discussion was going on by fans and media. He seemed oblivious. And the rest is history. I don't want to rehash all the many mistakes, and then doubling down on mistakes to fix the first mistake etc.. I've said enough of that in other threads.

With Green, I was fine with that pick at the time. And Green probably was the right coach for the initial development of youth whom many he had a relationship with already from Utica.  If JB had continued down the road of keeping his picks, and even adding more, shedding vets, going young etc, then Green may have continued to be valuable for longer.  I think as JB added more FA veterans who had been around the block more than once, Travis just wasn't respected enough. And soon he was over his head trying to handle older players making 10x his salary.  Should have switched up to a more veteran coach years earlier.

And I also kinda would've liked to see Horvat traded to inject some future assets, and we keep Miller instead and make him captain. Sacrilegious though that is. But I think you don't give fans enough credit. Or maybe its just that fans have short memories. If that happened, with Bo and JT, yeah you'd have some Bo fans pulling their hair out, but we'd get over it. Just like we did with Linden being traded when, after a couple of years, we were cheering on Bertuzzi and the WCE line. Trevor who?

I think even if Gillis had dealt the twins, as long as he got back say a top RHD and a top center, and or multiple first round picks, fans would have gotten over it after a few years. IF it all worked out.  No one is ever happy all the time. I could care less about the initial furor.

Ha, I'll go even further. we actually COULD go full rebuild if ownership so choose. But I want to see what Petey and Hughes and other young stars can do here in Van as they peak so I wouldn't advocate it at all but.....we COULD get a ransom of picks and/or top prospects if we marketed Boeser, Bo and yes Miller.  Anyone who we could....Myers, Garland, down the list. (Only Demko, and younger players like Podz, Hogz, Rathbone are off limits)  Even Petey and Hughes for the right price. (Like a boatload)  with the thinking that even they will be past their peaks when we finally are ready to compete. Then also take on a couple of albatross contracts from other teams to get even more picks/prospects in order to make it to the floor of the cap. Now THAT would actually cause another riot. But.....if we were willing to endure that, I'm sure we could be a super team in about 5 to 7 years.  We'd have the first half of the first round of the draft to ourselves for a few years. :P  But that ain't gonna happen, and I don't actually want it to. I'm sick of waiting.

I share your pain brother. I've been a fan for decades. Which is why I am so pssed about the last eight years.  As someone said, after that long of futility, we should at least have a farm full of promising prospects.

I suspect it will take more time than I want but I have faith in JR to eventually get us on the right track.

61-5p5GsDGL._AC_SY679_.jpg

In response to the flying saucer, imagine there not being other life in the universe. Only extremely naïve people could believe we are the only life in the universe. 

I agree it is hard to compare GM's when they start from very different circumstances. Would only trade Horvat over Miller if the return made sense, but my viewing of Miller's leadership is that of a hot head like Messier.  Their type of leadership will also have divide in the dressing room, where a Horvat or Sedin type leadership will have everyone's respect because they conduct themselves so respectably.