Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Beer and Wine Thread


Ghostsof1915

Recommended Posts

Don’t know if available in BC but Anderson’s brewery in London makes a really nice product. They have stock IPAs which I don’t drink and seasonal beers which are usually fantastic. 
I just don’t like IPAs. Those floral hops just taste like drinking shampoo to me. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I stopped drinking a few months back. Not forever, but or now. 

 

I am a former director of an LRS group and have my WSET 3.

 

I am vicariously enjoying this thread, some of you have really great taste  :)

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Don’t know if available in BC but Anderson’s brewery in London makes a really nice product. They have stock IPAs which I don’t drink and seasonal beers which are usually fantastic. 
I just don’t like IPAs. Those floral hops just taste like drinking shampoo to me. 

I once heard that North American Westcoast IPA's are far hoppier than all else.

It came with a fun theory. Hops are the sister plant to Marijuana. The West Coast has lots of weed smokers ( puts hand up) so, consumers in the West enjoy more of those grapefruity, armpit, shampooish qualities. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, bishopshodan said:

I once heard that North American Westcoast IPA's are far hoppier than all else.

It came with a fun theory. Hops are the sister plant to Marijuana. The West Coast has lots of weed smokers ( puts hand up) so, consumers in the West enjoy more of those grapefruity, armpit, shampooish qualities. 

Those fragrant herbs I can appreciate, the floral hops not so much. :sick:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DrJockitch said:

Those fragrant herbs I can appreciate, the floral hops not so much. :sick:

I love all IPA's.

I dont know why other than my weed theory.

They smell like all kinda wrong....but for some reason really right for me. 

 

Though I used to love pounding good old Fat Tug and I really like the 'Play Dead' from Yellow Dog.

But, look up the calories in those bad boys....yikes.

 

I have recently stated to purchase some THC based beverages( spoiler, they taste like pop without sugar) but that's another thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, shiznak said:

Go to - Alexander Keith’s IPA

Seasonal - Granville Island Lions Winter Ale

Enjoyment - Bridges Bourbon Blood Orange Ale

 

Good choices.  Love the Winter Ale.

 

 

I typically try various microbrewery stuff to support local.  Not a fan of Red Truck though…just alright.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I love all IPA's.

I dont know why other than my weed theory.

They smell like all kinda wrong....but for some reason really right for me. 

 

Though I used to love pounding good old Fat Tug and I really like the 'Play Dead' from Yellow Dog.

But, look up the calories in those bad boys....yikes.

 

I have recently stated to purchase some THC based beverages( spoiler, they taste like pop without sugar) but that's another thread.

I believe there is some genetic variation in how people taste floral hops. Someone explained it to me once, I am not vouching for the veracity of this. Some people just get a very soapy flavour from them. An IPA really does taste like soap to me. Most people I think taste them differently.  Clearly as IPAs are a major fad atm. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Clearly as IPAs are a major fad atm.

Fat Tug was the best selling bomber for about a decade in my shops, by quite a margin. It is known as 'the bench mark' . Many reps would pitch their IPA's saying stuff like, 'similar to, better than, kinda like...Fat Tug'

More than a fad imo. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Fat Tug was the best selling bomber for about a decade in my shops, by quite a margin. It is known as 'the bench mark' . Many reps would pitch their IPA's saying stuff like, 'similar to, better than, kinda like...Fat Tug'

More than a fad imo. 

Not saying isn’t a well established type of beer, or that it doesn’t have long term fans.  It just seems that lately every microbrew that comes out comes out with the different IPAs and a sour.

Edited by DrJockitch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Not saying isn’t a well established type of beer, or that it doesn’t have long term fans.  It just seems that lately every microbrew that comes out comes out with the different IPAs and a sour.

Yeah. true dat.

I find sours fit the bill as a fad. As do breweries in general. I lost count of the many new craft breweries in the last few years. It's like rock bands in the 90's...a new one around every corner. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Variety is the spice of life and all.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Here's a question for all

 

Would you like the wine in Liquor Stores to be racked by varietal or country of origin?

 

 

Probably keep at country of origin to prevent the localized varietals from getting lost in the mix, specifically the Italian and Spanish ones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Probably keep at country of origin to prevent the localized varietals from getting lost in the mix, specifically the Italian and Spanish ones.

Most shops do rack grouped by country of origin but in my shops we did it by varietals.

 

It took getting used to for new customers but most started to like it. All the brands of each specific varietal grouped together. That way you don't have to walk to a bunch of different racks to see what the shop has to offer. Eg: all the Pinot Noir in one place. You can price check compare and wont miss one tucked away.

That said for blends, (old world) we did have to break the blends down by country within that rack.

 

I've never seen it but I would love a shop that did that with beer styles too.

All your lagers in a few doors of the fridge ( with sub grouping...pilsners, helles etc)...then in to the ales, ipas, stouts and so on.

 

As an IPA drinker, I would love to stand in front of one or two fridge doors and see all they have to offer of my fav style. Instead of walking up and down. 

 

Rep and companies hate the idea cause they want to brand block. It's not the best retail strategy either. For example, most shops will put their cheapest products deep in the store so you have to walk by all the other nicer stuff tempting you along the way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/3/2022 at 11:05 AM, bishopshodan said:

I once heard that North American Westcoast IPA's are far hoppier than all else.

It came with a fun theory. Hops are the sister plant to Marijuana. The West Coast has lots of weed smokers ( puts hand up) so, consumers in the West enjoy more of those grapefruity, armpit, shampooish qualities. 

I find some IPAs undrinkable with the over hopping thing that happens here. 

31 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Most shops do rack grouped by country of origin but in my shops we did it by varietals.

 

thats a nice touch, it probably helped customers learn what they liked faster. 

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see Alexander Keiths has been mentioned a few times....I like them both, but I prefer the Keiths Red Amber to the IPA.....

 

....but a few years ago, I switched to Lava Bed Red, from a brewery in Terrace, an hour and a half down the highway:

Lava Bed Red Ale - Sherwood Mountain Brewhouse - Untappd

 

I have also found that the Fernie Brewing Company makes several beers that I enjoy....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...