The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade Ryan McDonagh to Predators for Philippe Myers, Grant Mismash

2 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

How did the Leafs manage to give up a 1st (13th i think ) round pick just to dump a year of Marleau. Lmao

RM isn't a problem but could be soon 

The best part is the Canes used that puck to draft Jarvis who’s looking looking like an absolute stud at just 20. Probably the next Brayden Point,

Never change Leafs.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

They might also be losing Forsberg and are clearly desperate to stay competitive.

Fabbro would be the perfect partner for Hughes IMO.

So you're saying, Forsberg goes to free agency which opens the door to a Miller for Fabbro trade?   

48 minutes ago, JM_ said:

well, they are certainly set on the left side, and it didn't cost them any valuable assets. Looks like a solid move to me. 

Ekholm can play on the right side.  Josi-Ekholm were a pairing for a while with Ellis missing time due to injury (knee and then the concussion).  That's why I wonder if they won't re-unite.  

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

So you're saying, Forsberg goes to free agency which opens the door to a Miller for Fabbro trade?   

Forsberg going to free agency means they would have cap space and a need for a top 6 player yes.

Whether they would actually trade Fabbro I don’t know. Not really familiar with their depth chart. I know they were willing to pay Forsberg a lot of money though.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Weird trade, seems like a cap dump but McDonagh has a fair bit of value in the short term, not in the long term, so sort of like a rental turn cap dump.

Must mean the Preds want to win next year still. Tampa get a lot of cap relief and barely take any back.

Based on  capfriendly, they have a projected cap space of 18 million (18/23), with Forsberg as there biggest piece that is left unsigned. The Johansson and Josi core is still in their prime and signed for 3-4 years each - so good chance, this trade was done to help facilitate another run with that core.  Off there roster, only Fabbro & Tolvanen (based on there age) are the two players I found that can perhaps be considered, as there young core and I have not delve too much into there prospect pool - so I am not sure so sure, how Poile will accomplishing a competitive rebuild (perhaps, he didn't want to say retool ?).  Anyways, there LHD (Josi, Ekholm and McDonough) are stacked.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Forsberg going to free agency means they would have cap space and a need for a top 6 player yes.

Whether they would actually trade Fabbro I don’t know. Not really familiar with their depth chart. I know they were willing to pay Forsberg a lot of money though.

Forsberg is asking in the low 8s per Seravalli.  Friedman thinks something around 8.5M over 8 years would get it done.  Poile confirmed they made him an 8 year offer. There's a clip somewhere from about a week ago where he says he had hoped things would be already done but they'll keep working at it.

Would Miller accept less term and dollars - he'll be over 30 when his next deal starts while Forsberg is not yet 28. 

15 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Far rather target Carrier. Better D man.

1 minute ago, mll said:

Forsberg is asking in the low 8s per Seravalli.  Friedman thinks something around 8.5M over 8 years would get it done.  Poile confirmed they made him an 8 year offer. There's a clip somewhere from about a week ago where he says he had hoped things would be already done but they'll keep working at it.

Would Miller accept less term and dollars - he'll be over 30 when his next deal starts while Forsberg is not yet 28. 

That’s a lot of money yes.

Miller would gladly accept that contract, probably even one year less.

He’d be 37-38 when it’s over but something tells me Nashville isn’t bothered by having contracts that take their players into their late 30’s. They’re in win now mode.

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That’s a lot of money yes.

Miller would gladly accept that contract, probably even one year less.

He’d be 37-38 when it’s over but something tells me Nashville isn’t bothered by having contracts that take their players into their late 30’s. They’re in win now mode.

They traded Ellis and Arvidsson - those were not win now moves.  

Poile and Hynes always praised Granlund as being the ultimate role model up front.  They let him go to free agency because he was looking for too much term.  He finally signed with them because they stepped up and gave him a 4th year - but it's only 4 years.  Ekholm also only got 4 years.  Poile always talks of father time being undefeated.  It's also why they allowed Neal to be picked in expansion over Jarnkrok.  Poile also mentioned it when he traded Weber for Subban although not the main reason for the trade.

Adding veterans is not the issue.  They are even linked to Kessel.  It's giving up high picks and valuable players to get them. Tomasino, Jeannot are all very much part of their plans but a few others seem to have moved more to the outside.  

Can they get Miller with guys like Fabbro. Kunin, Tolvanen?  Would he take a shorter deal - say 4/5 years.

Edited by mll

3 minutes ago, mll said:

They traded Ellis and Arvidsson - those were not win now moves.  

Poile and Hynes always praised Granlund as being the ultimate role model up front.  They let him go to free agency because he was looking for too much term.  He finally signed with them because they stepped up and gave him a 4th year - but it's only 4 years.  Ekholm also only got 4 years.  Poile always talks of father time being undefeated.  It's also why they allowed Neal to be picked in expansion over Jarnkrok.  Poile also mentioned it when he traded Weber for Subban although not the main reason for the trade.

Adding veterans is not the issue.  They are even linked to Kessel.  It's giving up high picks and valuable players to get them. Tomasino, Jeannot are all very much part of their plans but a few others seem to have moved more to the outside.  

Can they get Miller with guys like Fabbro. Kunin, Tolvanen?  Would he take a shorter deal - say 4/5 years.

No but when you have Johansen and Duchene signed to those big deals you are forced to be in win now mode. 

Especially when you have a goalie like Saros and a D man like Josi in their prime, you gotta go for it.

The McDonaugh trade kind of signals that too. They could easily part with Fabbro and be good on D. If they lose Forsberg and don’t replace his offense they might as well blow it up. 

The Preds will be desperate if they lose Forsberg. They’re not gonna look to someone like Kessel as a solution. Forget what they did in the past at that point, Poile’s hand will be forced to make a big move.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Exactly what I've been saying for months

There's a difference between adding a veteran for a song vs giving up high draft picks and key prospects.  They are in what Poile calls a competitive rebuild.  There's the word competitive - ie they want to compete but they are still trying to build for the future.

Adding veterans is not the issue.  It's giving up key futures that is.   Tomasino, Jeannot, Prokop (although who knows with the change of ownership), 1st round picks are not assets they seem likely to part with.  If they can get a veteran for guys on the outside and without hurting their future, you'd think they'd go for it - they want to improve their 2nd line.

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No but when you have Johansen and Duchene signed to those big deals you are forced to be in win now mode. 

Especially when you have a goalie like Saros and a D man like Josi in their prime, you gotta go for it.

The McDonaugh trade kind of signals that too. They could easily part with Fabbro and be good on D. If they lose Forsberg and don’t replace his offense they might as well blow it up. 

The Preds will be desperate if they lose Forsberg. They’re not gonna look to someone like Kessel as a solution. Forget what they did in the past at that point, Poile’s hand will be forced to make a big move.

They already had Josi in his prime as well as Saros when they announced that competitive rebuild.  They even let Granlund go to free agency - he was their best forward that season.

Maybe they get more aggressive with the change of ownership but this move doesn't say anything one way or another.  They are more competitive but they haven't hurt their rebuild.

At the end of the season Poile said that they had to improve their 2nd line.  Even if they extend Forsberg, I expect them to add more proven players for that line.  How they add those players will be a better indication on whether they've changed direction.

Edited by mll

1 hour ago, mll said:

why would he? forsberg best season this year isn't even close to Miller.. he's been injury prone the last 5 seasons missing 10-15 games per season.. and not even a ppg guy.. if Forsberg gets anything 8+.. Millers camp will be licking their chops lol.. an injury prone player that's been less than a ppg his entire career till this season getting 8+ vs a guy that's been relatively healthy and been ppg his last 3 seasons and almost eclipsing 100 points.. 

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I read the guys name as Mishmash.

I thought you just didn’t wanna spell his real last name cause it was too confusing. :lol:

Amazing that teams keep helping out the Lightning though. That’s a big piece of their success gone. Not sure who they replace him

with.

3 hours ago, kacholu said:

How can Tampa get so much help from everyone. It simply amazes me 

Seems like a fine deal for both sides to me. Nashville needs another veteran to insulate young Fabbro and Carrier. McDonagh is still an effective top four defenseman at 32. Pretty meagre return for Tampa, but it makes sense because managing money is more important than managing assets for them at this point.

45 minutes ago, mll said:

There's a difference between adding a veteran for a song vs giving up high draft picks and key prospects.  They are in what Poile calls a competitive rebuild.  There's the word competitive - ie they want to compete but they are still trying to build for the future.

Adding veterans is not the issue.  It's giving up key futures that is.   Tomasino, Jeannot, Prokop (although who knows with the change of ownership), 1st round picks are not assets they seem likely to part with.  If they can get a veteran for guys on the outside and without hurting their future, you'd think they'd go for it - they want to improve their 2nd line.

All I've ever said about Nashville was that at the end of his career, with a team full of veterans, poile wasn't going to clean house and rebuild despite what he says in public.  Obviously I wasn't far off base

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

why would he? forsberg best season this year isn't even close to Miller.. he's been injury prone the last 5 seasons missing 10-15 games per season.. and not even a ppg guy.. if Forsberg gets anything 8+.. Millers camp will be licking their chops lol.. an injury prone player that's been less than a ppg his entire career till this season getting 8+ vs a guy that's been relatively healthy and been ppg his last 3 seasons and almost eclipsing 100 points.. 

They can't get Forsberg under contract although he is apparently asking in the low 8s and turns 28 only later this summer.  Miller will already be over 30 when his next deal starts.  He is a key part of keeping them competitive yet a deal isn't done yet.

Can't see them paying Miller more or longer than Forsberg.  So why would they trade for Miller if they can't get him under contract.  

9 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Yip. Plus, Miller can play center.