The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Blow it up [Proposal]

With Brock signed and it really doesn't seem like a sign and trade scenario. We either go forward with JB's roster push for playoffs tweak here tweak there seems like a weak plan. once the first domino falls (trade Miller) we aren't filling his hole in the here and now any Miller trade is gonna make us worse in the present. So it's gotta be for futures. Once you go that route I can see Bo wanting out so we move him around the deadline. And fail hard for Connor Bedard baby! 

The Miller proposals are beaten to death lets say he goes to one of the teams with a top 6 pick. I think the best fit is NJ that team is ready to flip the switch and contend they just need a goalie. Ill throw some scat at the wall. 

To NJ Miller + Rathbone + Mikey D 

To Van 2OA + Shak (Right shot defensive D with size) + Macleod (Right shot defensive C good in the dot)  

Then I ask myself if Wright/Slafkovski are what we need or if we can do better if we are committing to the rebuild.

To CBJ 2OA

To Van  6OA (Jiricek)+ 12OA (Kaspar) + Svozil

15OA we draft Lambert (Speed kills) or one of the Russians

Trade Myers for an expiring dumperoo and whatever pick get's you one of Reid Schaefer/Lian Bichsel/Nathan Gaucher/Lamoureux/Nyman/Beck

Go after UFA C 

We obviously tank. JR releases a statement to our fans. Bo asks for a trade. This is Pete and Hughes team now give them A's but put the C on OEL because this fanbase needs a whipping boy. 

Bo goes for A playoff teams 1st and 2nd equivalent value maybe more maybe less that's too far in the future to predict. Anaheim?? 2x 1sts? He'd be so good on that team though I'd be worried.

Hoglander Pete Boeser (Brocks 210 with elite board battle % maybe he plays like it? I think this is a better line than Bae Bo Brock FWW)

Garland Karlsson/UFA Podkolzin 

Pearson Macleod Kuzzi

Dickiiki  Richardson Lockwood/Dowling (Insert wood themed meme's here!)

Depth chart/Prospect Chart

Lammi Lambert Klim

Bains Kaspar Scaefer? 

Aman 

Hughes Schenn

OEL Dermott

Burr Shak/Expiring dumperoo!

Juulson

Depth/Prospects (needing to upgrade on the left is a easy problem to solve.)

Svozil Jiricek (Wonder if they'd have good chem? Very complementary!)

Woo Johansson

Finish bottom 3 what's the furthest we can drop? We have additional 2023 picks (Bo) move up for Bedard/Mitchkov.

F1 Racing Sport GIF by Formula 1

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

Draft lottery.

So who knows what pick they'd get?

19 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Finish bottom 3 what's the furthest we can drop? We have additional 2023 picks (Bo) move up for Bedard/Mitchkov.

Edited by hammertime
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Hello 20% chance for Bedard!  :towel:

And who are the top projected prospects 2024, and 2025?  

This is some serious tanking.  

we will get Bedard when AZ drafts him and he refuses to sign, then we'll just trade for him.

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This is some serious tanking.  

Oh no doubt about it. 

The keep Miller and compete now boat sailed with Brock for 6.65 this is a 25 and under team now.  I can't think of a way to tweak the roster to make it better right  now without letting Miller walk at the end of the season UFA after making a weak shot at playoffs. 

Why bother.

If you're building around this <25 group....... Then do it!  Lets go 2025 Canucks! I want a cup in my lifetime. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Oh no doubt about it. 

The keep Miller and compete now boat sailed with Brock for 6.65 this is a 25 and under team now.  I can't think of a way to tweak the roster to make it better right  now without letting Miller walk at the end of the season UFA after making a weak shot at playoffs. 

Why bother.

If you're building around this <25 group....... Then do it!  Lets go 2025 Canucks! I want a cup in my lifetime. 

I have an extra 100 to help you buy our team.  If you can come up with the other 999,999,900 to buy, then you can set this direction.  I (sadly :() don’t think our current owner is interested in a proper rebuild. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Alflives said:

I have an extra 100 to help you buy our team.  If you can come up with the other 999,999,900 to buy, then you can set this direction.  I (sadly :() don’t think our current owner is interested in a proper rebuild. 

There's the problem. This team isn't a tweak away from beating the Avs....... Pick a lane!

47 minutes ago, hammertime said:

With Brock signed and it really doesn't seem like a sign and trade scenario. We either go forward with JB's roster push for playoffs tweak here tweak there seems like a weak plan. once the first domino falls (trade Miller) we aren't filling his hole in the here and now any Miller trade is gonna make us worse in the present. So it's gotta be for futures. Once you go that route I can see Bo wanting out so we move him around the deadline. And fail hard for Connor Bedard baby! 

The Miller proposals are beaten to death lets say he goes to one of the teams with a top 6 pick. I think the best fit is NJ that team is ready to flip the switch and contend they just need a goalie. Ill throw some scat at the wall. 

To NJ Miller + Rathbone + Mikey D 

To Van 2OA + Shak (Right shot defensive D with size) + Macleod (Right shot defensive C good in the dot)  

Then I ask myself if Wright/Slafkovski are what we need or if we can do better if we are committing to the rebuild.

To CBJ 2OA

To Van  6OA (Jiricek)+ 12OA (Kaspar) + Svozil

15OA we draft Lambert (Speed kills) or one of the Russians

Trade Myers for an expiring dumperoo and whatever pick get's you one of Reid Schaefer/Lian Bichsel/Nathan Gaucher/Lamoureux/Nyman/Beck

Go after UFA C 

We obviously tank. JR releases a statement to our fans. Bo asks for a trade. This is Pete and Hughes team now give them A's but put the C on OEL because this fanbase needs a whipping boy. 

Bo goes for A playoff teams 1st and 2nd equivalent value maybe more maybe less that's too far in the future to predict. Anaheim?? 2x 1sts? He'd be so good on that team though I'd be worried.

Hoglander Pete Boeser (Brocks 210 with elite board battle % maybe he plays like it? I think this is a better line than Bae Bo Brock FWW)

Garland Karlsson/UFA Podkolzin 

Pearson Macleod Kuzzi

Dickiiki  Richardson Lockwood/Dowling (Insert wood themed meme's here!)

Depth chart/Prospect Chart

Lammi Lambert Klim

Bains Kaspar Scaefer? 

Aman 

Hughes Schenn

OEL Dermott

Burr Shak/Expiring dumperoo!

Juulson

Depth/Prospects (needing to upgrade on the left is a easy problem to solve.)

Svozil Jiricek (Wonder if they'd have good chem? Very complementary!)

Woo Johansson

And then, 4 years from now, someone else will start a, "Let's blow it up..." Thread, just like others have done, countless times over the past 3 years.

We have a solid core to build around, let's adjust and build!

At some point, you have to stop blowing it up and commit to the players that you have and START competing!

I swear, if certain fans ran this franchise, they would never stop chasing a tank so they could perpetually go after the first overall pick!

35 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

At some point, you have to stop blowing it up and commit to the players that you have and START competing!

Maybe......At some point you have to start blowing it up! Right now we have assets we could actually execute a rebuild.   

Edited by hammertime

This is a pretty apocalyptic thread. Here's my perspective. I have liked the moves and direction and lack of desperation from the new management.

The positive aspect is that under Boudreau this lineup was a 108-point playoff team. But as Minnesota taught us (a 110+ point team) that doesn't mean you are making it past the first round.

I think this lineup requires a patient overhaul. If we blow it up that completely, all of the draft picks we did develop and graduate to the NHL (Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, Hoglander) will want out anyways. And we don't have anything after them in the pipeline anyways. So I don't think a total rebuild is now necessary for a couple of reasons.

First: Yes, some of our contracts are unfortunate. Myers signed when this term was in dire times and UFAs didn't want to sign here and our drafting had been terrible. OEL has a contract that Arizona had to give him for the sake of their franchise, and because of JB we inherited. 

But given the value of our Demko, Horvat, and Miller contracts, it kind of evens out. We have some steals. (Kuzmenko, Schenn)

Now J.T. Miller has became the gift that keeps on giving. Aside from being the heart and soul of our team for the last 3 years, and keeping us competitive, he has also played himself out of our pay range. And his inevitable trade will lead to youth, prospects, picks and/or younger talent coming back.

I encourage a Miller trade for what we expect (1st, prospect, roster player). I encourage a lateral move of Garland for a RHD who is younger like a Marino.

I also encourage not feeling the need to overfill our team with new UFAs. We have to give Podkolzin, Kuzmenko and Hoglander larger roles to raise their confidence and value.

Above all, I think Canuck fans have to be willing to take a step back this year in order to move forward. We are flushing JB toxins our of our organization and that takes a bit of time.

I expect our lineup without Miller to score less and be less dynamic. But if we don't make the playoffs at the end of next year and instead show patience, it will benefit us next year. The 2023 draft will be good and we can sell some assets at the TDL if we feel like we aren't contenders. And that could realistically be a guy like Tyler Myers. He will be a cheaper rental and the final year of his salary (2023-2024) is only $1 million in actual salary. So I believe by playing Myers for the 50 games this year, it will raise his value by the trade deadline. All the while our younger talent will have opportunities to get more experience and develop defined roles on the team.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Maybe......At some point you have to start blowing it up! Right now we have assets we could actually execute a rebuild.   

We already did the rebuild,  once BB took over, we performed the rest of the year, in the top 10 of NHL teams.  We ran out of runway on making the playoffs.

• Like 1

Don't be so calmly catartic. A step back means the sky is falling and everyone will leave us. Why did you have to go and bring 

7 minutes ago, CanuckFanUpNorth said:

(Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, Hoglander) will want out anyways.

Into it? How deep is the rabbit hole? What do you think we could get for them?

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

We already did the rebuild,  once BB took over, we performed the rest of the year, in the top 10 of NHL teams.  We ran out of runway on making the playoffs.

"The rebuild"!  Nice one love the JB support! #CanuckForever

I genuinely feel really comfortable with the direction and management of the team right now.

I couldn't even begin to imagine what those players would bring, but I don't want to be another Arizona.

Funny story, I was looking at the Coyotes on CapFriendly. With so many picks and so few players signed for the following season, I genuinely wonder how they will dress a team. 

The Coyotes franchise is an example of how rebuild after rebuild, without the gifting of a generational talent (Edmonton, Pittsburgh) can be a repetitive and demoralizing process.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, CanuckFanUpNorth said:

I genuinely feel really comfortable with the direction and management of the team right now.

Is that because there is nothing to really judge them on beyond minor details. Do you feel this team is minor details away? The path we are on will require bold moves to be more than a 1st round team as you explained. Those moves will determine our path beyond a+b=c.

40 minutes ago, hammertime said:

"The rebuild"!  Nice one love the JB support! #CanuckForever

We are in a lot better shape than a lot of fans want to admit. There's a reason why the new management team isn't jumping into a tear down and rebuild, they see the overall talent level that we have accumulated and understand that we can get there from here without doing a full rebuild.

We need to do a couple of strategic trades that round out our lineup and put us in a position to compete every night and in the playoffs.

Moving Miller, which I really believe we will do in the next 3 weeks, will bring back the assets necessary to shore up RD and our bottom 6. There will likely be more moved than just Miller, I think there's a fairly strong chance that Myers also gets moved.