The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which Canuck were you wrong about? Good or Bad?

Rate this topic

danjr

I've been pretty good at judging our players.

Currently, I'm wondering if being so high on Hoglander was a good idea. He hasn't progressed like I would have hoped.

Before that, it was actually LE. I thought he would be a solid signing for us, but he was anything but.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, ItalianCanuck1 said:

Despite early struggles, I had high expectations on Juolevi and Virtanen and I was really hyped when Gaudette made his debut.

On the other hand, when in 2019 the team acquired Luke Schenn I had zero expecations on him. He became pretty quickly one of my favourite Canucks.

I really thought Juolevi would be a steady two way defender for many years in Vancouver.

I thought Jake would be a consistent 20 to 25 goal scorer year in and year out once he finally figured it out.

Like you, I had zero expectations for Luke Schenn his first time in Vancouver. I was shocked at just how effective he actually was and he quickly became one of my favs.

Currently, I still have high expectations for Hoglander, but it seems so many other posters here are down on him even though he is still just 21 years old. I think he's got the skill and work ethic to be a very good 2nd line player for many years.

Draft Picks:

Cody Hodgson, I said to my buddy he'd be our future captain. 

Virtanen.

Trades:

Markstrom, thought we were getting Florida's failed goalie project. Wrong.

Cory Schneider, at the time I thought trading him as one of the worst decisions I've ever seen. Wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

I've been pretty good at judging our players.

Currently, I'm wondering if being so high on Hoglander was a good idea. He hasn't progressed like I would have hoped.

Before that, it was actually LE. I thought he would be a solid signing for us, but he was anything but.

I still have really high hopes for Hoglander, there's just so much potential there and his worth ethic and effort on the ice are way up there. He just needs to learn to how finish, that's the missing link is burying the puck then he has the chance. Big year for him.

20 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Jordan Schroeder and Derrick Pouliot.

edit: also thinking that Olli Juolevi could at least be a serviceable NHL d man.

Man, Schroeder was such a stud in the USA development program and world juniors. That was a huge disappointment that he didn't pan out. 

2 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

I still have really high hopes for Hoglander, there's just so much potential there and his worth ethic and effort on the ice are way up there. He just needs to learn to how finish, that's the missing link is burying the puck then he has the chance. Big year for him.

That's why I felt he would be a no-miss player, regardless of how far up the lineup he actually brought himself. 

I haven't given up on him yet either. Last year was unfortunate and obviously he isn't going to blow anyone away with that level of development, but I too have high hopes for him still, and think this will be his year to shine. (Although I did say the same thing this time last season as well).

• Cheers 1

Oh yeah, I forgot about Jake. I was wrong on him too. I felt that with his speed and size, he would at worst be a bottom 6 winger but more likely a 2nd line kind of guy. 

Man was I wrong. 

To be fair, most of us were.

6 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about Jake. I was wrong on him too. I felt that with his speed and size, he would at worst be a bottom 6 winger but more likely a 2nd line kind of guy. 

Man was I wrong. 

To be fair, most of us were.

True, but a few of us were concerned that in the year after his draft year, his production dropped from 45 to 21 goals, he was injured for a portion of that season, yet still made the NHL team in the fall. Even then, I still felt we had a young Dustin Brown if he lived up to his hype. He did not. He was gifted a roster spot, then ate his way into the doghouse. The rest is sad, sordid history.

• Sad 1

Oh man.  Started following prospects with Hodgson/Schroeder and was stoked for that C/W duo to be a Toews/Kane "lite".  Lols.

Shinkaruk looked like he'd flank Bo coming into the league with the ability to put up 20 goals. That short side sharp angle goal at the summer prospects camp comes to mind. Didn't he have 50g in the W?  Thankfully Bo has exceeded expectations.

Then Virtanen and OJ.  Virt looked good to at lease be a 20g/20a player that hits and plays physical.  We all remember him crushing McDavid at the prospects tourney.  OJ was a sure fire top 4, maybe top 2, 2-way D that could potentially put up 40 pts.

Gaudette was Kes 2.0.

Also didn't think Bieksa would put it together back in the day.  He was "casual-kev" with too many turn overs and kind of lost in the d-zone.  Happily eatting crow on that one as he's easily one of my favorite Canucks now.

Cody Hodgson I was sure was going to be a lifelong Canuck, and probably captain one day.

The BobFather ravings were over the top.  I wasn't the only one.  So stoked watching him in the World Juniors. He was robbed of the MVP..  Just a sad outcome, between his injury/illness, Canucks denials, and  misdiagnosis, and add to that his helicopter father.

Then we got Kassian as a return and I had new hope that the asset value wouldn't be wasted.  I still remember his first game when he came out like gangbusters hitting everything that moved.  I also remember a young rookie Virtanen suddenly mimicking this new team member, like he was following Kassian's lead.  Neither of these players effort lasted long.

Loui and Virtanen never actually proved themselves enough for me to be disappointed with later.  Both were inconsistent and lazy from the start, with spurts of productivity that teased you into thinking they were 'turning the corner'.

The whole Benning era one could list multiple players who were hyped by him on signing day, to excuse the high priced, and longer term contracts, as being worth it. But lets face it, even before Benning, this team has had a record of disappointing drafts and FA signings.  Its called Canuck Luck.

Shawn Antoski. 1990 First Round Pick

6.4 and 235lbs
Super Fast. Scored 25 goals and 56 points in 59 games in juniors with over 200 pm.
First year in the minors he scores 17 goals and has 24 points with 330 penalty minutes. Second year he again has 17 goals and 33 points with 346 pms.

As a Canuck, he never really figured out any way to be effective. 

nmkZ9Twt8IHjP8rPkYYTirs8rRxTtSnK5H6skU0tiTI.jpg

Edited by dr.naughtypants
  • Like 2

Most recently would be Hamonic.  Thought him and Hughes were going to be very good.

I held out on Jake and Juolevi as well.  

Hamonic went crazy in the pandemic.  I thought 19-20 Jake was breaking through but he’s a complete idiot apparently.  And I wonder what would have been with Olli minus the injuries.  I guess he’s still getting a few kicks on his tires.

Honourable mention to Baertschi as well.

Edited by ilduce39

Man i was Down Bad with the canucks positivity. I thought hodgson was going to turn into a first liner, I thought virtanen had a chance to be a 40 point 3rd liner. I had hopes and dreams Juolevi was recover from his injury. I thought Jim Benning was a good GM,.

• Huggy Bear 1

I don't know that I was wrong about Virtanen but I did defend him for the first few years preaching patience. But I never made bold predictions of what he would be. I still believe he had all the tools to be a very good player. He just lacked the maturity and work ethic to realize that potential. Turned out to be just a big dumb kid. I'm not one to make bold predictions about players very often and frequently preach patience regarding young players. It's nice to be optimistic, but I think it's better to be guardedly optimistic.

• Cheers 1

I was wrong about Aucion...couldn't stand him when he started, kept getting burned and thought like that other Adrian (Plavsic) he'd end up out of the league within a couple years.     Then he tied or almost tied the PPG record lol, and went on to play over 1000 games.    

Recently - i was wrong about EP and QHs, not wrong that they wouldn't be decent, wrong because i didn't think they were the right picks.   

Miller trade.   Said at the time we basically just got another Horvat.   Turned out better then expected and worse at the same time depending on what happens next - to be determined still.   Signing Myers - loved it at the time and still do as far as improving the team goes.   Problem with these two moves is we never properly bottomed out.   It's going to end up a big "what if" we drafted so and so soon enough.    It all depends on what happens next.  

• Like 2

On 7/3/2022 at 2:54 PM, JM_ said:

Loui.

I'm so sorry. 

God the list is too big…

louis me too :( Olympic performance and everything had me hopeful.

schmidt - wa such a fan of his in Washington and even more so after Vegas, thought he’d be a good fit boy was I wrong 

gaunce - thought he’d become an nhl regular 

shinkaruk pre season game he stunted on lundqvist had me a believer 

Probably many more. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Had high hopes for Sergei Shirokov, he got a lot of peoples attention right away "He's the next Bure" was said more than a few times. 

When he scored against Colorado Alains reaction as a coach watching his player score was... odd. If anyone can find that clip please post it.

Edited by canutecanuck