The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal: blockbuster with Columbus

4 minutes ago, Fen1010 said:

I like it, but think we would have to add to get it done. Maybe a Rathbone or Hogs to sweeten it up?

Possibly, but wouldn't want to part with those guys especially Rathbone.  Rather then add, maybe get 12 oa and a 2nd, rather than 6 oa.  They still keep our 15th?

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I like this better than most. Not sure Dermott is ready for that role but we would have some cap to work stuff out. 
would need another winger though. Cannot depend on Kuznetsov to be first liner. 

Yah, hard to know if either Dermott or Kuznetsov are ready for top minutes but as was mentioned, we'd have some cap space!  Wow, what a concept! :P

I really don't mind Myers... I just think like Hamonic, Dickinson and maybe even Garland... They just haven't been great fits or complimentary additions.  Now Dickinson and Garland may turn it around (fingers crossed) as last year was such a $&!# show all around.  Wasn't much of a sample size for them.  However, we know what we have in Myers.  I think his full value could be realized elsewhere.  He's a good player and person, hope he gets that opportunity. 

Edited by Hogs & Podz

13 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

They just haven't been great fits or complimentary additions.  Now Dickinson and Garland may turn it around (fingers crossed) as last year was such a $&!# show all around.  Wasn't much of a sample size for them.  However, we know what we have in Myers.  I think his full value could be realized elsewhere.  He's a good player and person, hope he gets that opportunity. 

You and I must have been watching a different players. 

Myers was 1/2 of one of the best defensive pairings in the league. I'm not saying don't trade him I am saying don't under value him. 

Garland played almost exclusively 5v5! At 5v5 he was top 30 in the league in points. Could his stats have been even better if he had played PP? He was also 7th in the entire league in penalties drawn vs taken amassing a differential of 38 mins. Power Plays are a thing I like. Garland makes under 5m he's full value so the return better be too. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, hammertime said:

You and I must have been watching a different players. 

Myers was 1/2 of one of the best defensive pairings in the league. I'm not saying don't trade him I am saying don't under value him. 

Garland played almost exclusively 5v5! At 5v5 he was top 30 in the league in points. Could his stats have been even better if he had played PP? He was also 7th in the entire league in penalties drawn vs taken amassing a differential of 38 mins. Power Plays are a thing I like. Garland makes under 5m he's full value so the return better be too. 

I don't undervalued either player.  Just felt both were not utilized properly... Especially Garland.  But by his own admission, he felt he was inconsistent and didn't have a great year overall.  That's great news to me, because as you mentioned, he was our best 5 on 5 player last year.  I won't be surprised if he ends up with 60 points this year.  He does have a great contract, hence I didn't put him in the proposal. 

For what it's worth, I believe, even if they made minor changes before season starts, they will be a much improved team with a good chance at a playoff spot.  However the problem is, that other teams like L.A. and Anaheim will be much improved.  I think the west will be tougher overall this year compared to last.  

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Possibly, but wouldn't want to part with those guys especially Rathbone.  Rather then add, maybe get 12 oa and a 2nd, rather than 6 oa.  They still keep our 15th?

I think that would work better.

Just now, The_Rocket said:

Andrew peake is the most overrated player in any JT Miller proposal. 

canucks lose this trade easily

Would you like to elaborate?  From the games, highlights and articles on him (I admit not thoroughly) seems to be a great, up and coming new aged stay at home defenceman.  With a good to great awareness in his own end.  Able to box out opponents from in front of the net.  What have you seen that concerns you?

1 hour ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Would you like to elaborate?  From the games, highlights and articles on him (I admit not thoroughly) seems to be a great, up and coming new aged stay at home defenceman.  With a good to great awareness in his own end.  Able to box out opponents from in front of the net.  What have you seen that concerns you?

He blocks a lot of shots and throws a lot of hits but he’s not a transition player or puck mover. Stay at home defenseman sounds about right. Can get caught out of position and doesn’t control the gap well but will clear out the net front and keep opponents to the outside. Still gives up a lot but limits high danger chances against. 

he’d be a nice piece but maybe for like, a 3rd or 4th round pick in a trade, not in the deal described above. 

miller is the most valuable piece in the above trade, the 3rd most valuable piece is the 15th overall pick. That means out of the 6 pieces invoked, most of the value being given up is from the Canucks. 

now, if you took out one of Roslovic or peake and added a really good player like, say, Gavrikov, I would be very interested. 

gavrikov imo is the perfect player to target. Better defensively than peak (tho less blocks and hits) but also a great skater, puck mover, and passer. Could play beside Hughes or OEL and would instantly be our 2nd best D-man. 

peake would basically just be another Luke schenn unless he takes a massive step which he hasn’t shown he is capable of

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

He blocks a lot of shots and throws a lot of hits but he’s not a transition player or puck mover. Stay at home defenseman sounds about right. Can get caught out of position and doesn’t control the gap well but will clear out the net front and keep opponents to the outside. Still gives up a lot but limits high danger chances against. 

he’d be a nice piece but maybe for like, a 3rd or 4th round pick in a trade, not in the deal described above. 

miller is the most valuable piece in the above trade, the 3rd most valuable piece is the 15th overall pick. That means out of the 6 pieces invoked, most of the value being given up is from the Canucks. 

now, if you took out one of Roslovic or peake and added a really good player like, say, Gavrikov, I would be very interested. 

gavrikov imo is the perfect player to target. Better defensively than peak (tho less blocks and hits) but also a great skater, puck mover, and passer. Could play beside Hughes or OEL and would instantly be our 2nd best D-man. 

peake would basically just be another Luke schenn unless he takes a massive step which he hasn’t shown he is capable of

Okay... Wow, I haven't done any research on Gavrikov.  I'll look closer, I appreciate the info.  Big reason I come on this site is to learn more about all things hockey and NHL.  I'll study up and respond to your thoughts.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, The_Rocket said:

Looks like Gavrikov is listed as left D though.  I noticed him quite a bit this year when Columbus played against us and also when I watched one of their other games.  He also had that infamous back and forth with Garland.  We were down 0-3 to Columbus at home and ended up winning the game 4-3.  Garland dragged our team into the fight and Podz scored a big goal in that game.  

7 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Bored on Sunday so figured I'd daydream about what we could get and where we can trade Miller to... I know, I know... Another one!!!   So I figured I'd have fun and spice it up a little.  I still feel it could be a possibility... Meaning, I don't think it's totally unrealistic.  Regardless, one more to debate over.  Fire away!

To van:

Andrew Peeke

Jack Roslovic

2022 6th oa

To columbus:

JT Miller

Tyler Myers

2022 15 oa

I like your proposal although you could make it a bit simpler if you feel that asking for the 6th overall straight up is too much.  

To Van: 

2022 12th overall 

Jack Roslovic 

2022 2nd round pick 

To Columbus: 

JT Miller 

That would probably be fair value for both sides.  I've always liked Roslovic as a player.  He is from Columbus and wanted to go back home, so it would be prudent to check if he would accept that trade with open arms.  He was quite vocal about wanting out of Winnipeg. 

7 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

That's how trades work. The Myers of the world isn't is what is going to add value it's prospects that shows promise like Rathbone or Hoglander. 

21 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

That's how trades work. The Myers of the world isn't is what is going to add value it's prospects that shows promise like Rathbone or Hoglander. 

Fair enough but I don't believe they'd have to put a sweetener in the trade as mentioned.  Myers is no slouch (as hammer pointed out), he has value and on the books for only two more years.  Obviously, Myers included complicates things... This was best case (dream) scenario.  

Edited by Hogs & Podz

55 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Looks like Gavrikov is listed as left D though.  I noticed him quite a bit this year when Columbus played against us and also when I watched one of their other games.  He also had that infamous back and forth with Garland.  We were down 0-3 to Columbus at home and ended up winning the game 4-3.  Garland dragged our team into the fight and Podz scored a big goal in that game.  

Thanks yah.... Just found this out as well.  I still think Peeke would be the right fit.  He's ready to plug in the lineup this year.  Roslovic would also be a perfect fit.  But if it's true as van habit mentioned, it maybe a no go getting him to leave Columbus... Go figure lol:rolleyes:.  But I don't think he has a no trade/Movement clause in his contract.