The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal: blockbuster with Columbus

2 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Fair enough but I don't believe they'd have to put a sweetener in the trade as mentioned.  Myers is no slouch (as hammer pointed out), he has value and on the books for only two more years.  Obviously, Myers included complicates things... This was best case (dream) scenario.  

I guess the test would be 

If a another team put in Myers with that term and contract to the Canucks as part of the package.

Would our response be "OMG Myers how can we refuse, he's a stud" ? 

Probably not at best people will say "meh" 

8 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Looks like Gavrikov is listed as left D though.  I noticed him quite a bit this year when Columbus played against us and also when I watched one of their other games.  He also had that infamous back and forth with Garland.  We were down 0-3 to Columbus at home and ended up winning the game 4-3.  Garland dragged our team into the fight and Podz scored a big goal in that game.  

True he is LD but he is very good. Handedness shouldn’t be the priority, ability should be. Just play someone on the right side. 

12 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

He blocks a lot of shots and throws a lot of hits but he’s not a transition player or puck mover. Stay at home defenseman sounds about right. Can get caught out of position and doesn’t control the gap well but will clear out the net front and keep opponents to the outside. Still gives up a lot but limits high danger chances against. 

he’d be a nice piece but maybe for like, a 3rd or 4th round pick in a trade, not in the deal described above. 

miller is the most valuable piece in the above trade, the 3rd most valuable piece is the 15th overall pick. That means out of the 6 pieces invoked, most of the value being given up is from the Canucks. 

now, if you took out one of Roslovic or peake and added a really good player like, say, Gavrikov, I would be very interested. 

gavrikov imo is the perfect player to target. Better defensively than peak (tho less blocks and hits) but also a great skater, puck mover, and passer. Could play beside Hughes or OEL and would instantly be our 2nd best D-man. 

peake would basically just be another Luke schenn unless he takes a massive step which he hasn’t shown he is capable of

Nice write up Rocket. 
But is this not really what we are looking for, to play with either QH or OEL? A stay at home crease clearing D man? A younger version of Schenn?

• Cheers 2

Don't think Columbus does this deal, I think. I suspect they are a bit more future oriented and not as interested in Myers and Miller, both of whom are probably already in their primes.

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Nice write up Rocket. 
But is this not really what we are looking for, to play with either QH or OEL? A stay at home crease clearing D man? A younger version of Schenn?

Exactly my sediments... Not sexy but exactly what we need.  Solid, reliable, sees ice well and mobile enough.  Columbus has a bunch of surplus of defenceman like foudy, gavikov, and boqvist.  

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Don't think Columbus does this deal, I think. I suspect they are a bit more future oriented and not as interested in Myers and Miller, both of whom are probably already in their primes.

You could be right... Question is, do they want to be competitive while they develop their youth?  Or bottom out and get high draft picks?  They have the the cap.  They may need the veteran present and leadership these guys have in spades.

3 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i had peake, sillinger, foudy and 12th oa for miller and dicky. we might have to keep 50% of miller's contract.

I don't think Columbus is worried about cap constraints unless they have a limited internal one.  Anyone know what there's may be?  Otherwise your proposal, though would be amazing, a little to rich for Columbus.  More would have to go back there way to get most of there best prospects.  

On 7/4/2022 at 9:39 AM, spook007 said:

Nice write up Rocket. 

I like Peake, think he’d be a good pickup. Wouldn’t want him to be a principle piece in a JT Miller trade though. 

the value in this trade heavily leans in CBJ favour. Middle 6 winger, 4/5 d-man, and trading down 9 spots for a (overpayed) 4/5 Dman and an Elite 1C 

canucks lose this trade. 

Swap out 15 OA for next years 2nd, take out roslovic and Myers, add Cuelmans on CBJ side, and I think it’s much closer

peake

cuelmans

6th Overal 

for 

JT miller

2023 2nd

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

I like Peake, think he’d be a good pickup. Wouldn’t want him to be a principle piece in a JT Miller trade though. 

the value in this trade heavily leans in CBJ favour. Middle 6 winger, 4/5 d-man, and trading down 9 spots for a (overpayed) 4/5 Dman and an Elite 1C 

canucks lose this trade. 

Swap out 15 OA for next years 2nd, take out roslovic and Myers, add Cuelmans on CBJ side, and I think it’s much closer

peake

cuelmans

6th Overal 

for 

JT miller

2023 2nd

Cheers Rocket. 
It was more the original statement that Peake was just a younger Schenn... and that's why I said, if this isn't, what we're looking for. 
He has been amazing cover for QH. If only he had had some speed, he would have been perfect for what we're looking for. 

I could definitely live with your above proposal though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

Cheers Rocket. 
It was more the original statement that Peake was just a younger Schenn... and that's why I said, if this isn't, what we're looking for. 
He has been amazing cover for QH. If only he had had some speed, he would have been perfect for what we're looking for. 

I could definitely live with your above proposal though. 

Yeah I’m a big fan of the schenn/Hughes pairing. 

I’ve seen a lot of chatter about finding Hughes the perfect partner, but I look at Hedman and Rutta, and imo that’s the type of partner Hughes needs. A low maintained, reliable, cheap player. 

schenn is great for right now. They will need to find another at some point and peake could be it

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

canucks lose this trade. 

peake

cuelmans

6th Overal 

for 

JT miller

2023 2nd

Cuelmans would be amazing to get.  Not ready for another year or two but definitely a high end right side defensive prospect.  However, I don't think the Jackets would let go of two righties if Peake was also included.  They only have Boqvist as their main guy, whom they just upped on a 3 yr bridge deal.  So Cuelmans I can see them being okay to trade and the 6th but one more piece or pick would need to be added.  Eg. Alexandre Texier?

• 1 month later...

Bump!  Due to latest article reporting at least 2 teams in the metro interested in JT.

Now that JG is in Columbus... You look at their line up.  They need a top notch center so they can compete this coming year.  Otherwise, what was the point in getting JG in the first place? They have the cap space and enough young talent ready to challenge for a spot on the big club.   

Roslovic, Peeke, Ceulemans and a 1st 2023 for

JT Miller, Dickenson, and a 2023 2nd.

Thoughts?

21 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Bump!  Due to latest article reporting at least 2 teams in the metro interested in JT.

Now that JG is in Columbus... You look at their line up.  They need a top notch center so they can compete this coming year.  Otherwise, what was the point in getting JG in the first place? They have the cap space and enough young talent ready to challenge for a spot on the big club.   

Thoughts?

I wonder now that they signed JG would CBJ look to deal Laine for a centre. I think I would rather Bemstrom than Roslovic. A lot cheaper, better at faceoffs and think he would be perfect for the 3c. 

Miller, Garland, Schenn for 

Laine, Bemstrom, Peeke, 23 2nd 

30 minutes ago, Boknows08 said:

I wonder now that they signed JG would CBJ look to deal Laine for a centre. I think I would rather Bemstrom than Roslovic. A lot cheaper, better at faceoffs and think he would be perfect for the 3c. 

Miller, Garland, Schenn for 

Laine, Bemstrom, Peeke, 23 2nd 

Bemstrom is intriguing has decent speed decent shot enough size... But his fo are at 30%.  At that percentage, might as well give Dicky another chance:ph34r:

If we took this trade, I'd be disappointed.  Nice having Peeke but loss of Schenn would take some of the shine off the acquisition.  We don't have put him in to the trade to make it work.

Laine... He's similar to boeser with a slightly better shot.  Not a great skater... A bit bigger and hits sometimes but floats and cherry picks from time to time.  Streaky is an understatement.  There are to many nights where you don't notice him.  Also... Questioned if team oriented enough, appears to have very little loyalty... etc. 

Put it this way... I'd rather have Miller Schenn Garland over Peeke Bemstrome, Laine and a 2nd.

Peeke's the only upgrade.

Edited by Hogs & Podz

On 8/27/2022 at 6:24 PM, Hogs & Podz said:

Thoughts?

I think you are overvaluing Miller in that trade. And CBJ can't afford to take on that amount of cap ($4.8m going out, $7.9m coming in)

Dickenson has negative value, probably would cost a 2nd round pick to move him right now, so the VAN 2023 2nd is basically just for CBJ to take on Dickenson. That means in exchange for Miller you are effectively looking to get Roslovic + Peeke + Ceulemans + 2023 1st. Not happening imo.

Realistically you need to take Roslovic, Dickenson and the VAN 2023 2nd out of the deal. Roslovic is a Columbus native too, they reportedly won't trade him. And CBJ don't have the cap space or roster spots to take on Dickenson.

So now you have the basic deal of Miller in exchange for Peeke + Ceulemans + 2023 1st. CBJ still can't afford to take on that much cap, so they might have to send a roster player (someone like Nyquist with $2m retention) to make the deal work.

I think this might be a deal that CBJ considers:

To VAN: Nyquist ($2m retained) + Peeke + Ceulemans + 2023 1st

To CBJ: Miller

Anyway, those are my thoughts...cheers

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I think you are overvaluing Miller in that trade. And CBJ can't afford to take on that amount of cap ($4.8m going out, $7.9m coming in)

Dickenson has negative value, probably would cost a 2nd round pick to move him right now, so the VAN 2023 2nd is basically just for CBJ to take on Dickenson. That means in exchange for Miller you are effectively looking to get Roslovic + Peeke + Ceulemans + 2023 1st. Not happening imo.

Realistically you need to take Roslovic, Dickenson and the VAN 2023 2nd out of the deal. Roslovic is a Columbus native too, they reportedly won't trade him. And CBJ don't have the cap space or roster spots to take on Dickenson.

So now you have the basic deal of Miller in exchange for Peeke + Ceulemans + 2023 1st. CBJ still can't afford to take on that much cap, so they might have to send a roster player (someone like Nyquist with $2m retention) to make the deal work.

I think this might be a deal that CBJ considers:

To VAN: Nyquist ($2m retained) + Peeke + Ceulemans + 2023 1st

To CBJ: Miller

Anyway, those are my thoughts...cheers

Good thoughts there.  I've known about Roslovic being from that area.  Just not sure if 1, he has a no trade/movement clause and 2 if not, would they honour his wishes to stay.  Regardless, I don't think your trade proposal is unrealistic.  I would be okay with this trade but not sure where we'd fit Nyquist.  

13 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Bemstrom is intriguing has decent speed decent shot enough size... But his fo are at 30%.  At that percentage, might as well give Dicky another chance:ph34r:

If we took this trade, I'd be disappointed.  Nice having Peeke but loss of Schenn would take some of the shine off the acquisition.  We don't have put him in to the trade to make it work.

Laine... He's similar to boeser with a slightly better shot.  Not a great skater... A bit bigger and hits sometimes but floats and cherry picks from time to time.  Streaky is an understatement.  There are to many nights where you don't notice him.  Also... Questioned if team oriented enough, appears to have very little loyalty... etc. 

Put it this way... I'd rather have Miller Schenn Garland over Peeke Bemstrome, Laine and a 2nd.

Peeke's the only upgrade.

Sorry I was just referring to Bemstroms faceoff percentage last year being 50%. Although not sure how big a sample size. Being a young player he is developing and improving. 

With Laine, I was getting all hung up on the potential between him and Petey. Not really thinking about the type of player and person he is. He is similar to Boeser but if Boeser slides down and plays with Horvat, that's where he had his best year I believe. Also with the amount that Laine signed for per year, cant have all this money tied up on the wings. Cheers. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/3/2022 at 3:36 PM, Hogs & Podz said:

Bored on Sunday so figured I'd daydream about what we could get and where we can trade Miller to... I know, I know... Another one!!!   So I figured I'd have fun and spice it up a little.  I still feel it could be a possibility... Meaning, I don't think it's totally unrealistic.  Regardless, one more to debate over.  Fire away!

To van:

Andrew Peeke

Jack Roslovic

2022 6th oa

To columbus:

JT Miller

Tyler Myers

2022 15 oa

So Peeke is obviously the centerpiece of the trade.  24 yrs old 6'3" right shot, stay at home defenceman.  Paired up with Quinn for the next decade.  Fluid skater, high hockey IQ, hits hard (and still developing) when appropriate and plays a gritty game (think cernak). Good in his own end and getting better.  Possess a hard shot.  Was playing top pairing minutes for the Jackets by year end.

Roslovic (Right shot) center.  Speed, grit and skill.  An upgrade on Dickinson for 3rd line center.   Cap hit $4 million (not great for 3rd line) also career 42% f/o BUT can play up the lineup incase of injury (versatile).  Can make a great pk line with Dickinson and raises our team speed overall.  Allows our coaching staff to employ a more aggressive pk (like we had with motte). He's only 25 as well.  

With extra cap, we can get sign Bo, go into free agency with $ to sign depth were ever.  Obviously 6th oa would be the cherry on top (if Jiriek is available I'd be over the moon!).

Kuzy Petey Boes

Garland Horvat Podz

Dickenson Roslovic Höglander

Lockwood Lammikko Highmore

Hughes Peeke

OEL Dermott

Rathbone Schenn

Hunt or Burroughs

Thoughts?

Well first of lammikko is no longer on the team so that’s not good. 

37 minutes ago, mrturkish said:

Well first of lammikko is no longer on the team so that’s not good. 

Yah that's right he's not, either is Highmore... Post was from July 3rd (prior to Lazar, Joshua signing)... Things have changed since.  More recent posts reflect that fact.  Regardless, just a proposal where no part will most likely be realized.  We'll see.

Edited by Hogs & Podz