The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Speculation in Pittsburgh: Letang to stay (update: signed), Malkin to walk. Both seeking 3+ year deals.

Couldn't see a thread on this - my apologies if I missed it.

From Lebrun today:

Still, no breakthrough on the Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang contract fronts as of Monday morning although my sense is there has been some movement from all sides.

The Penguins’ original position, I believe, was a two-year extension for each player, and both balked at that. I believe the club has moved on term to three years for each. But the AAV also matters and I don’t have a good read on where that is in each case.

The two players are represented by different agents so it’s not like they’re in lockstep on what they ultimately want but I’m guessing both would prefer a four-year extension at least if the AAV is going to be club-friendly...I think in the end Letang gets done, he stays put in Pittsburgh, I don’t have as good a read on the Malkin path right now.

From Pens beat writer Yohe:

• Numerous agents have told me that, after conversations they’ve had with Penguins general manager Ron Hextall, they believe it’s unlikely that Evgeni Malkin is returning to Pittsburgh. Some people I’ve spoken with in the Penguins organization feel the same way.

So, is Malkin gone?

It’s impossible to say, but here’s what I know: Hextall is willing to sign him at a certain price. However, sources said the two sides haven’t been speaking regularly after initial talks when the Penguins’ season ended on May 15. Hockey people who speak with Hextall on a regular basis are very much under the impression that Malkin’s return to the Penguins is no sure thing...

...Hextall, in particular, is being stingy with Malkin and Kris Letang in regards to what they want. Many agents around the league have also confirmed Hextall isn’t likely to give the contract lengths that free agents on the market are demanding...

• The Penguins very much want to sign Letang. They believe he remains a No. 1 defenseman despite being 35, and, given his exceptional training, they believe he can remain elite for a while longer.

Hextall is also aware that no one on his current roster can replicate the minutes or responsibility that Letang can handle. The Penguins like John Marino but don’t have any notion that he’s the Penguins’ next No. 1 defenseman. They like Mike Matheson, too, but don’t envision him in such a role, either.

Attractive players are on the free-agent market, namely John Klingberg, but the Penguins know they’ll be overpaying for anyone they land once free agency begins.

That brings us back to Letang.

The Penguins have offered Letang a three-year contract. Letang wants five years and something north of $8 million per year annually, perhaps as high as $9 million.

From Sportsnet:

"We want to sign both players...but they gotta come back at term and contract dollars that make sense," Penguins president of hockey operations Brian Burke said on The Jeff Marek Show. "And if not, they're not coming back.

"We should know I'm guessing in the next little bit. We've made determined efforts to meet with and to sign Kris Letang. Less determined with Malkin only because we have to know how much money we have to work with and we have to put this jigsaw puzzle together. So very direct discussions with the agent for Evgeni Malkin but less intense.

"There's gotta be some sequence here. One has to sign and then the other or maybe neither of them. But it's coming to a head soon."

Elliotte Friedman:

[T]eams who that Kris Letang see a path to a Penguin extension. One exec refused to tell me specifically what he heard, but said Pittsburgh’s willing to go into “what it considers uncomfortable territory” for Letang. For me, uncomfortable territory right now is Pearson Airport, but I can’t tell you what that means for the Penguins. Word is they’ve been extremely careful about term. Evgeni Malkin? Honestly, I don’t know. I keep hearing not close, but, again, I wonder if things change once we get closer to July 13. Does a deadline nudge both sides closer? No idea.

Edited by Teemu Selänne

GMs will once again go crazy signing these guys (and others) for way too much term and money. If they sign Letang at 35 for 5 years at 9+ million, they better hope LTIR is still an option when the deals half-way done.

JR in Vancouver and Burke in Pittsburgh; how many years later?

Must be a shortage of good new presidential candidates.

Even Boudreau talked to Scotty Bowman when deciding to coach the Nux.

Glad JR is here though; he's got great connections everywhere.

22 minutes ago, mll said:

Which opens up the spot for Miller in Pittsburgh - he's already skating there in the off-season.

Was just gonna say... Miller to Pittsburgh makes a ton of sense now.

Clearly Marino would be a main piece in the deal. 

If Letang and Malkin are looking for that kind of term and money, then they aren't coming to VAN

Would've been kind of cool to see big #71 centered between Kuzmenko and Podkolzin for a season or two, but not meant to be

• Upvote 1

If someone is going to give them that money and term, good luck to them…

Malkin doesn’t play enough games a season to be considered a core player.

He is worth maybe $5 million on a 3 year term and that is taking a lot of risk.  He could get $8 million in a 1 year deal if it was mostly performance bonuses.

28 minutes ago, mll said:

Which opens up the spot for Miller in Pittsburgh - he's already skating there in the off-season.

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I agree Hextall is probably kicking tires. Do they have the pieces to make the deal though?

Marino, Kap's rights, a 1st 2022 for Miller isn't enough IMO. Pens also don't have their 2nd or 3rd this year so Hextall may not be willing to move their 1st. I like Poulin but his rookie pro year didn't prove much. Hallander or Heinen could be throw-ins, but they have little value. Teddy Blueger is an A+ PKer on a decent AAV who could fill the 3C role, but only for one more year then UFA.

It's hard to see how it would fit, unless Hextall is willing to move 2 1sts (doubtful)

Marino, Kapanen's rights, Blueger, 1st 2022, 1st 2023, Hallander for Miller, Pearson and a mid pick? Doesn't seem quite right for either team, and deals with 8 assets rarely happen.

It's hard for me to picture a path forward with Miller to the Pens, although it does seem like Miller would be a Hextall/Burke type target

5 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I agree Hextall is probably kicking tires. Do they have the pieces to make the deal though?

Marino, Kap's rights, a 1st 2022 for Miller isn't enough IMO. Pens also don't have their 2nd or 3rd this year so Hextall may not be willing to move their 1st. I like Poulin but his rookie pro year didn't prove much. Hallander or Heinen could be throw-ins, but they have little value. Teddy Blueger is an A+ PKer on a decent AAV who could fill the 3C role, but only for one more year then UFA.

It's hard to see how it would fit, unless Hextall is willing to move 2 1sts (doubtful)

Marino, Kapanen's rights, Blueger, 1st 2022, 1st 2023, Hallander for Miller, Pearson and a mid pick? Doesn't seem quite right for either team, and deals with 8 assets rarely happen.

It's hard for me to picture a path forward with Miller to the Pens, although it does seem like Miller would be a Hextall/Burke type target

I proposed Miller and Poolman for Marino, Kapanen, Poulin, and Hallander. 

Marino: top 4 RHD

Kapanen:  middle 6 winger

Poulin:  B+ to A grade prospect

Hallander:  B to B+ grade prospect

Edited by HKSR

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I proposed Miller and Poolman for Marino, Kapanen, Poulin, and Hallander. 

Marino: top 4 RHD

Kapanen:  middle 6 winger

Poulin:  B+ to A grade prospect

Hallander:  B to B+ grade prospect

Just doesn't have the same appeal as a deal like Schneider/Lundkvist, Kappo/Kravtsov, 1st 2023, 2nd 2022 IMO, in terms of the immediate upgrade as well as youth movement. NYR, NJD, TBay (especially if Allvin will retain salary), Colorado all seem like teams that have a better assemble of bluechip youth that would fit Allvin's vision IMO. Hextall is similarly short on youth, prospects and picks to Allvin.

I am a big Kapanen fan and I think he's underrated but he'll also have to displace one of Garland, Podkolzin, Kuzmenko, Pearson, Boeser or they'd have to be traded in this situation. In the end, he's not a huge upgrade on any of them, so it would have to be a two part deal that sees value come in for one of the above 5, or Kap could become a 9th/10th forward on the depth chart-something that could be acquired asset free via unrestricted free agency.

I think the Canucks really need to bring in a 1st if they're moving Miller considering the bare prospect cupboard. Marino, Kapanen, 1st 2022, and a 2nd 2023 and a throw-in of Hallander/Nylander could be more appealing but falls short IMO. Maybe if Hextall is willing to take on cap the following year it could be:

To Vancouver: John Marino, Kasperi Kapanen, Teddy Blueger/Sam Poulin, a 1st 2022, Filip Hallander

To Pittsburgh: JT Miller (15% retained), Jason Dickinson (full salary)

35 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Marino as the main piece doesn't move the needed for me, at all - and I hope I misinterpreted you and your actually joking,  no disrespect.  And people clamoring for Kapanen in the deal (which is a pkg I've heard too often I'm worried about it) seem to overlook he was outscored by Pearson who played less gm's and for whatever reason people want to get rid of Pearson at any cost?   

I see a need on the Pens side,  but  not necessary a match with the elite assets Miller should be commanding in return. 

But that's just me, I'm in favor of 'quality over quantity ' in any Miller deal.

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Just doesn't have the same appeal as a deal like Schneider/Lundkvist, Kappo/Kravtsov, 1st 2023, 2nd 2022 IMO, in terms of the immediate upgrade as well as youth movement. NYR, NJD, TBay (especially if Allvin will retain salary), Colorado all seem like teams that have a better assemble of bluechip youth that would fit Allvin's vision IMO. Hextall is similarly short on youth, prospects and picks to Allvin.

I am a big Kapanen fan and I think he's underrated but he'll also have to displace one of Garland, Podkolzin, Kuzmenko, Pearson, Boeser or they'd have to be traded in this situation. In the end, he's not a huge upgrade on any of them, so it would have to be a two part deal that sees value come in for one of the above 5, or Kap could become a 9th/10th forward on the depth chart-something that could be acquired asset free via unrestricted free agency.

I think the Canucks really need to bring in a 1st if they're moving Miller considering the bare prospect cupboard. Marino, Kapanen, 1st 2022, and a 2nd 2023 and a throw-in of Hallander/Nylander could be more appealing but falls short IMO. Maybe if Hextall is willing to take on cap the following year it could be:

To Vancouver: John Marino, Kasperi Kapanen, Teddy Blueger/Sam Poulin, a 1st 2022, Filip Hallander

To Pittsburgh: JT Miller (15% retained), Jason Dickinson (full salary)

Lundkvist and Kravtsov don't appeal to me.  Schneider seems to be relatively untouchable from the NYR perspective.  Kakko would be an interesting one.

TBL isn't gonna go for Miller when they're already in cap hell.  If anything, they probably need to move one more higher priced player out.

Colorado isn't gonna sell the farm.  Their biggest need will be to replace Kadri, but then again, they basically won without him for most of the playoffs. 

NJD would likely not have a ton of interest in Miller.  I bet they'd be more interested in Garland.  There's also Forsberg out there.

I'll be surprised if Miller lands a super package that includes an A+ tier prospect, another top tier prospect, and a 1st, and a 2nd.  Problem is there aren't many A+ tier prospects even available for trade most of the time.

The one issue I have with a 1st round pick being a MUST have piece in a trade is that the player will be 18 years old and drafted in the late 1st round.  Likely means several years before they even get a sniff of NHL time.  By the time the drafted prospect hits prime years (ie. 26 or 27), Hughes and Petey will be in their early 30s, and Horvat will be ready to retire lmao.

• Vintage 1