The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Speculation in Pittsburgh: Letang to stay (update: signed), Malkin to walk. Both seeking 3+ year deals.

9 hours ago, HKSR said:

Just an FYI, how did Pearson do in 2020-21 vs Kapanen?  That was just 1 year ago.  Kapanen hasn't even hit his prime years yet.

You just happened to cherry pick the year that the Pens were the 2nd highest scoring team in the league (missed being the highest scoring by only 1 goal) whereas the Canucks,  under Green and Co. were one of the most futile scoring teams in the league where numerous members had down years.   Over their careers Pearson and Kap have almost exactly the same scoring averages (with the notable caveat that Pearson scores more in PO) so I still say the deal with Marino and Kap doesn't move the needle for me.  To each their own.   

We'll find out soon enough,  right?

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

You just happened to cherry pick the year that the Pens were the 2nd highest scoring team in the league (missed being the highest scoring by only 1 goal) whereas the Canucks,  under Green and Co. were one of the most futile scoring teams in the league where numerous members had down years.   Over their careers Pearson and Kap have almost exactly the same scoring averages (with the notable caveat that Pearson scores more in PO) so I still say the deal with Marino and Kap doesn't move the needle for me.  To each their own.   

We'll find out soon enough,  right?

I don't see us bringing in Kapanen in any potential deal unless we're sending back a Dickinson or similar. 

Marino, Poulin, Blomqvist and 1st rounders are the pieces we should be looking at.

• Upvote 1

Malkin in the feels:

“He wants to play only in Pittsburgh,” one of Malkin’s friends said, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

“He doesn’t understand how it’s at this point with him not being signed,” the friend said. “He’s said, ‘They don’t think I’m a good player — why?’”...

...Malkin sent congratulatory texts to Rust and Letang (and backup goalie Casey DeSmith) on the days their new deals became official. Each player asked him if he was next.

His response: “They think I’m not good anymore.”...

...However, Malkin distanced himself and prepared to move on after what he saw as a combination of low offers and being a lack of a priority for the Penguins. Things were recently so precarious that Crosby paid a visit to Malkin at his home on Fisher Island in South Florida.

“Sid didn’t go to convince Malkin to sign,” a league source said. “He wanted to check on his friend. He was worried about how hard this is on Geno with Geno not feeling wanted anymore.”

https://theathletic.com/3410673/2022/07/09/penguins-evgeni-malkin-contract-free-agent/

• Ilya Mikheyev changed the title to [Rumour] Speculation in Pittsburgh: Letang to stay (update: signed), Malkin to walk. Both seeking 3+ year deals.