The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] "El Niño" Niederreiter to test free agency, could circle back to Canes: agent

Not much progress to report in the ongoing discussions involving three notable pending UFAs for the Hurricanes in Nino Niederreiter, Vincent Trocheck and trade-deadline pickup Max Domi.

But there’s interest in trying to get deals done if possible. The Hurricanes had the third-best record in the NHL this past season and are intent on remaining contenders.

“We want to do what we can to keep our team together,’’ Canes GM Don Waddell told The Athletic on Wednesday. “In saying that, there’s also a cap that we have to keep in mind as try to re-sign players.’’

Waddell wouldn’t share any details on where any of those discussions were exactly, but it sounds like nothing is close on those fronts.

Niederreiter’s agent Andre Rufener took it one step further Wednesday when I contacted him.

“We don’t rule the Canes out at this point for sure but we will definitely hit free agency on July 13th,’’ Rufener said via e-mail.

from Pierre Lebun: https://theathletic.com/3390300/2022/06/29/lebrun-rumbling-unrestricted-free-agents/

Of note from a Canucks' perspective:

- Put his best regular season together under Bruce Boudreau

- Strung together his most productive playoffsx3 together under Mike Yeo

Edited by Teemu Selänne
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Was mentioning this earlier, that if we can move Miller for 2-3 key young pieces, Nino is the guy I would sign to replace him.  He's not going to get 99 points next year (Maybe 50-60) but I still believe Miller will get about 70-75 next year on a more normal pace.  Nino would help take up some of the scoring, along with Kuzmenko, Podkolzin's improvement etc.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He'd be very appealing if we move Garland or Pearson.

Can't have two of Hoggie, Garland and Kuzie plus Petey playing in the top-6, it's too undersized. Would absolutely be down to move Garland and sign one of Nino or Marchment or someone of that ilk to take over a top-6 wing position.

• Vintage 1

• Ilya Mikheyev changed the title to [Rumour] "El Niño" Niederreiter to test free agency, could circle back to Canes: agent
2 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Can't have two of Hoggie, Garland and Kuzie plus Petey playing in the top-6, it's too undersized. Would absolutely be down to move Garland and sign one of Nino or Marchment or someone of that ilk to take over a top-6 wing position.

Completely agree, and would be nice to see:

Nino and Marchment in FA (Scoring and grit)

Pearson (For veteran scoring on a young NJ team) for Zacha (For C and potential)

Miller, Carlo, Lysell and a 2023 1st

Podkolzin Pettersson Boeser

Kuzmenko Horvat Niederreiter

Marchment Zacha Garland

Also gives us Lysell, 15, and a 2023 to also build out the prospect pipeline a bit further.

43 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Was mentioning this earlier, that if we can move Miller for 2-3 key young pieces, Nino is the guy I would sign to replace him.  He's not going to get 99 points next year (Maybe 50-60) but I still believe Miller will get about 70-75 next year on a more normal pace.  Nino would help take up some of the scoring, along with Kuzmenko, Podkolzin's improvement etc.  

Miller, if he stays on Canucks is 100-110 point player next year    his trajectory is up not down. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

Miller, if he stays on Canucks is 100-110 point player next year    his trajectory is up not down. 

Agreed fresh season healthy squad without covid bs he will go on a tear and continue his dominance….on another team with no chem 60-75pt player in a smaller role

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Topcheeze86 said:

Agreed fresh season healthy squad without covid bs he will go on a tear and continue his dominance….on another team with no chem 60-75pt player in a smaller role

I don't see a team paying Miller ++$ to play a smaller role.  He will play either C or LW along the top line of any team. 

There’s no reason to think that his stats would drop by 25-40pts. 

Also, peeps are neglecting the fact that JT has been the C on Petersson's line. Unless Pete has developed

remarkably in that role, you can't just replace JT by adding a winger to the line.

Fans are underestimating the various tangibles/intangibles (besides offence) that he brings to the team.  He will

be missed by the players, coaches and fans.

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I don't see a team paying Miller ++$ to play a smaller role.  He will play either C or LW along the top line of any team. 

Also, peeps are neglecting the fact that JT has been the C on Petersson's line. Unless Pete has developed

remarkably in that role, you can't just replace JT by adding a winger to the line.

Fans are underestimating the various tangibles/intangibles (besides offence) that he brings to the team.  He will

But if a “contender” with a well established team roster calls about him hes not sliding directly to the first line or having a heavy leadership role when its already established ….i think he drives on beeing a leader here which makes him a better player , if its only money that matters which i find hard to believe based on his competitive attitude and drive to win then so be it BUT im the small % that wants to see him retire as a nuck 

Intriguing but at what price? 

Let's remember that other team's shiny toys are nowhere near as good as JT. 

43 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

That's why I would run Horvat with top wingers and run Petey on the second line and match his line ups more. Also is Petey is never going to be a center worth keeping (as a center) then we're short a top 2 center. Can't shelter the kid forever. Horvat could arguably get Miller points with better wingers. His best to this point has been Pearson steadily and some games with Boeser during his down swings. Point being Petey needs to learn to be a center or he should just be considered a small creative winger. Time for him to take a step. 

13 minutes ago, Topcheeze86 said:

But if a “contender” with a well established team roster calls about him hes not sliding directly to the first line or having a heavy leadership role when its already established ….i think he drives on beeing a leader here which makes him a better player , if its only money that matters which i find hard to believe based on his competitive attitude and drive to win then so be it BUT im the small % that wants to see him retire as a nuck 

These teams are most mentioned in Miller trade rumours

NYR, Phil, Pitts, Wash, Boston  The only team that has a better C than Miller is Pits.  Sid likely has an injury during the

season though.

More than likely, JT jumps into the #1C spot and has the best FWs on his line.  Maybe he doesn't become the leader

he is on the Canucks, but that's an unknown right now.

I think there are a lot of fans in Vancouver that want to see Miller signed (for a reasonable contract).  He brings

a lot to our team and will not soon be replaced by 2 or 3 prospects, young players and or pics.

• Cheers 1