The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kaprizov Flees, and is now Wanted in Russia

Rate this topic

The flood of Russian players aged 18-35 trying to leave should be close to stampede level crazy in short order.

It's going to get to the level of mandatory service soon and any team with a Russian player in their homeland better make arrangements 

This could make Russian players in this draft sink like a stone

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

The flood of Russian players aged 18-35 trying to leave should be close to stampede level crazy in short order.

It's going to get to the level of mandatory service soon and any team with a Russian player in their homeland better make arrangements 

Maybe Miro drops to us in the end. Would be nice to get another top 3 Russian talent in the double digits even if we need to wait a year or two. 

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

Wonder if any players that are supposed to be at the draft won’t make it, and the ones that do how many don’t go back to Russia post draft. 

Could be like back in the 80’s when players pretty much had to escape.  

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Maybe Miro drops to us in the end. Would be nice to get another top 3 Russian talent in the double digits even if we need to wait a year or two. 

So, Miroschnichenko is someone I wanted strictly because he is still in Germany and free of this sphere of influence.  A potential or formerly potential top 3 player in this draft at the beginning of the year he did his cancer treatment in Germany and is there through August for further evaluations etc.

He's EXACTLY the safe home run pick that would be free of that we should look in to

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

It really wasn’t that long ago…

Well AlMo defected in Alaska at wjhc in 1989 which I remember quite clearly.   So 33 years could be a while for some people. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Yeah, thinking no way Miroshnichenko or Yurov are taken in the 1st round, might even drop to the 3rd or 4th. Do the Canucks take a chance on one of them with the #80?

Just now, JM_ said:

I hope Podkolzin can get his family here this summer. 

Hasn't he served his military service though? 

But yeah, it sucks. Sucks for players who just wanna play somewhere that isn't Russia, or for prospects who've grown up during a time where Russians regularly get drafted and go on to NHL careers. 

In the end they're just more people who suffer because of Putin and co's ego's, Russian or not. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Hasn't he served his military service though? 

But yeah, it sucks. Sucks for players who just wanna play somewhere that isn't Russia, or for prospects who've grown up during a time where Russians regularly get drafted and go on to NHL careers. 

In the end they're just more people who suffer because of Putin and co's ego's, Russian or not. 

I don't know it it matters, Putins goons can make up whatever they want if it sends the message they want it too. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yeah, thinking no way Miroshnichenko or Yurov are taken in the 1st round, might even drop to the 3rd or 4th. Do the Canucks take a chance on one of them with the #80?

Wouldn't surprise me, I think you'll have at least a few teams taking opportunistic flyers on highly ranked Russian players and looking at it as maybe a longer term investment 

19 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

With between 6-10 Russians projected to go in the first 2 rounds, things could be interesting. 

Just now, JM_ said:

I don't know it it matters, Putins goons can make up whatever they want if it sends the message they want it too. 

You ain't wrong, I wonder how the guys who've played by the rules will be treated 

Just now, Coconuts said:

You ain't wrong, I wonder how the guys who've played by the rules will be treated 

no one knows. 

If it we me living in St. Petersburg right now, I'd be chartering a boat to Finland for my family under the radar of Russian border agents.