The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kaprizov Flees, and is now Wanted in Russia

Rate this topic

20 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Flashback of Russian hockey players defecting while at international tournaments. 

Almo comes to mind; Sportsnet did a doc on it that you can find on YouTube which I recommend highly.  However, I don't see this being an option due to Russians being banned in international play.  Hopefully Podz gets out ASAP.

Edited by King Heffy

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

no one knows. 

If it we me living in St. Petersburg right now, I'd be chartering a boat to Finland for my family under the radar of Russian border agents. 

Guess we'll find out, all we can do is pay attention and read 

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Could there be any issues with Kuzmenko leaving Russia?

Sounds like something he did in 2017 so probably not but at this point the Russians could do anything. Any Russian/Belarusian players should probably be staying in North America from here. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Undrafted said:

Just some things I've heard about this story:

First off, this is connected to the Fedotov story from a few days ago.  The back story is that Fedotov, along with others, bought fake military IDs to avoid military service. 

Bottom line: this does NOT affect Russian hockey players in general, just a small circle of players who all bought these fake IDs from the same person. 

Kaprizov's involvement is still a rumour at this point, but there have been a couple of other players who have been identified, such as EDM prospect Dmitri Samorukov and two other players who I'm not familiar with.

Podkolzin and Kuzmenko are not connected to any of this, so there's no need to be concerned about them in this regard.

Don't worry; you're ok.

Then: You're next!

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just some extra details about the fake ID scam I mentioned earlier.

Edit: some details from the thread, for those who don't want to click on the tweet:

The person selling the fake military IDs is a former policeman named Farit Samigullin.  He was arrested on April 15th by the FSB and subsequently sentenced to 2 months in prison.   Reports claim he "helped" 8 soccer players and a number of hockey players, including Fedotov and EDM prospect Samorukov.

Edited by Undrafted
added summary from embedded thread
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Going to be interesting to see how the Russian government deals with this and how the veteran Russian NHL players (#8)  react,  if at all?  

lol... why is everyone laying the burden on Ovechkin.. hes just 1 Russian. Anything negative he says probably puts himself in danger. 

22 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

lol... why is everyone laying the burden on Ovechkin.. hes just 1 Russian. Anything negative he says probably puts himself in danger. 

He is the de-facto face of Russian hockey,  this is understood around the world.   It's also why he fell under the microscope when the Russian military invaded Ukraine.   

I'm not saying it's right or wrong,  but he's the pre-eminent player for their country and when things happen people look to him.  

31 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Don't worry; you're ok.

Then: You're next!

From what I've read, I don't think that seems to be the case here--if anything, this is more analogous to Evander Kane using a fake vaccination card, in that there actually was a criminal act involved (that is, the purchase of fake military IDs).

593142735_Screenshot2022-07-06at1_37_03PM.thumb.jpeg.9701eb720272bd8d598fa2126944a72b.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Because he's openly supporting a subhuman monster instead of keeping quiet.  There's no reason to make excuses for that piece of garbage and allow him into the country.  He had more than enough time to get his family to out if he wanted to.

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Undrafted said:

From what I've read, I don't think that seems to be the case here--if anything, this is more analogous to Evander Kane using a fake vaccination card, in that there actually was a criminal act involved (that is, the purchase of fake military IDs).

593142735_Screenshot2022-07-06at1_37_03PM.thumb.jpeg.9701eb720272bd8d598fa2126944a72b.jpeg

Yeah, of course, cuz Russia has such a history of fair judicial treatment.

• Cheers 1