The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blue Jackets re-sign Adam Boqvist

4 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Who's peeke. Is he supposed to be better than Garland? If not. The deal is terrible. High chance 2nd won't be as good as Garland especially at his cap hit

You know that RHD we need to compliment Hughes ? 

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/draft-profile-andrew-peeke/

Very early second round pick. 

Played top pairing minutes this year, when Werenski was injured, his first full year in the league.

Played on the PK.

Well down the development path. 

That second would be something I would love us to have.

Have you put much work into studying drafts prospects this year ?

Some potentially pretty good players at 42.

• Thanks 1

Good bridge deal, I said if there's a 1 for 1 Garland for Boqvist deal out there we should snap on it and now he's got a very manageable cap hit of around 2M for a RD puck mover. He's not strong defensively but can shoot the puck and we'd have to basically play him with OEL, not Hughes.

Good deal, a long bridge contract, could end up paying off big time for them. If he doesn't meet his potential then no real biggie at that cap hit.

13 hours ago, 250Integra said:

Not going to lie, kind of wanted Boqvist but glad we got Hughes instead

Honestly I thought Hughes would have been already chosen by the time it was Vancouver's turn to select. We really have to be thankful Montreal (of all teams) is the one that moved up in the draft that year, and as for Arizona ... well they are Arizona :lol: ). In which case I was hoping when I woke up (timezone differences) if the Canucks selected Dobson (thinking he might be gone before Canucks picked also). But I was h*** s*** when I woke up seeing Canucks picked Hughes and thought how the heck did that happen. 

Then I saw the drat results and said "oh Montreal" :lol:

Regardless, It's quite amazing how all those defensemen in the year Canucks picked Hughes panned out in the long run. Dobson, Bouchard, and Boquist look like there are going to be good to great NHL defensemen. Super happy Canucks picked Hughes but I would have been contended with the rest.

It's actually quite a reverse from the Petterson draft when the other centers in around that position Glass, Mittlestadt, and Vilardi all still feel iffy right now.

Edited by iinatcc

3 hours ago, Ilunga said:

You know that RHD we need to compliment Hughes ? 

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/draft-profile-andrew-peeke/

Very early second round pick. 

Played top pairing minutes this year, when Werenski was injured, his first full year in the league.

Played on the PK.

Well down the development path. 

That second would be something I would love us to have.

Have you put much work into studying drafts prospects this year ?

Some potentially pretty good players at 42.

Yeah his stats aren't too impressive. Drafted 6 years ago and played his first full season to a minus 14.

Ofcourse you can't judge a player based on stats... 

Would he be much of an upgrade over a guy like Poolman? 

I’m bias because I know Andrew Peeke’s family personally but from what I’ve been told Columbus jerked him around a bit before giving him a fair shake at the NHL level.  He’s a defense first guy.  Top 10 in blocked shots.  Great on the PK.  Played with Werenski later in the year.  Played top pair minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah his stats aren't too impressive. Drafted 6 years ago and played his first full season to a minus 14.

Ofcourse you can't judge a player based on stats... 

Would he be much of an upgrade over a guy like Poolman? 

Check out the draft prospects thread, unless a D- man is gonna be a star most of them take a while to develop. 

What we want is a shutdown d- man who compliments Hughes. 

He was rated as one of the best shutdown ,D- man in his draft year by some. 

15 points in his first full year while not totally impressive is not bad.

He will improve however points are just a bonus, we want a guy that can cover for Hughes while he does his thing. 

More points also means a bigger payday.

With the cap we have to find players that are best at playing their role at a team friendly cap hit.

As for the Poolman comparison he scored 3 points in 40 games at 29. 

Wasn't even on the ice for over half the season.

Who would you choose, a 24 year old whose trajectory seems to be on the rise or a 29 year old that has issues that keep him off the ice ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Check out the draft prospects thread, unless a D- man is gonna be a star most of them take a while to develop. 

What we want is a shutdown d- man who compliments Hughes. 

He was rated as one of the best shutdown ,D- man in his draft year by some. 

15 points in his first full year while not totally impressive is not bad.

He will improve however points are just a bonus, we want a guy that can cover for Hughes while he does his thing. 

More points also means a bigger payday.

With the cap we have to find players that are best at playing their role at a team friendly cap hit.

As for the Poolman comparison he scored 3 points in 40 games at 29. 

Wasn't even on the ice for over half the season.

Who would you choose, a 24 year old whose trajectory seems to be on the rise or a 29 year old that has issues that keep him off the ice ?

Thanks for your insight. 

Yes I wasn't looking at points, more so the - 14 but again, I know stats don't depict everything. 

I think Hughes for sure needs a defence first, steady guy as his partner. My only question came from the fact that we've seen even how Schenn looked great when paired with Hughes and that guy was a minimal contract veteran signing who also plays the "dad" role in protecting Quinn. Is trading Garland for a defense first guy worth it is all I'm asking. Garland makes 5m. We let Tanev go because we didn't wanna pay 4.5m and he went free to Cgy. 

In hindsight, a Tanev Hughes pairing would look pretty good without costing a Garland.