The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Wild re-sign Jacob Middleton

Just a reminder that if Canucks signed Middleton to this contract, we would have articles and media members for the entire summer showing us how bad of a signing this is and how the guy's not worth 2.4 mil/year. 

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Just a reminder that if Canucks signed Middleton to this contract, we would have articles and media members for the entire summer showing us how bad of a signing this is and how the guy's not worth 2.4 mil/year. 

He was well liked in San Jose and is well liked in Minny as a depth and character player. Most consider him a #5 on a contender but can be a #4 given the right partner on the 2nd pair (which was the case alongside Spurgeon).

For that kind of role and contribution, this is a very fair contract.

If you're comparing him to Poolman and the reaction to it, it's a very different story: many in Winnipeg were not a fan of his and were not in any way sad to see him go. Not to mention the 4th year. This was a terrible contract on day 1 and the blame goes to management who signed it, not the "evil" media.

Edited by kanucks25

35 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

He was well liked in San Jose and is well liked in Minny as a depth and character player. Most consider him a #5 on a contender but can be a #4 given the right partner on the 2nd pair (which was the case alongside Spurgeon).

For that kind of role and contribution, this is a very fair contract.

If you're comparing him to Poolman and the reaction to it, it's a very different story: many in Winnipeg were not a fan of his and were not in any way sad to see him go. Not to mention the 4th year. This was a terrible contract on day 1 and the blame goes to management who signed it, not the "evil" media.

I watched a lot of Middleton this year and he's just a bottom pairing d-man.  Saw at least 2-3 games with San Jose and then about 5-6 with Minny at the end of the season and in the playoffs.  He's a bigger version of Kyle Burroughs but I find them to be equally effective.  

People like him because he's tough and let's face it...  because of the moustache haha 

@kanucks25 I should also note that he did play with Jared Spurgeon a lot, so I shouldn't call him a bottom pairing d-man in the same way that Luke Schenn shouldn't not be called a bottom pairing d-man since he played with Quinn Hughes. Now that I look at Middleton's numbers, he did average 18 mins/night which is very significant.  Felt like he was more of a 14 mins/night d-man when I watched him play but I was wrong on that one. 

13 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Didn't these same guys, or someone like them, have Poolman's contract as pretty close to what he got?

Perhaps they need to reevaluate how their algorithm evaluates depth D-men. :P