The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***NHL 2022 DRAFT GDT - CANUCKS EDITION***

Rate this topic

250Integra

Who would you like the Canucks to pick with the 15th overall selection?  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, 250Integra said:
Jim Benning on Twitter: "Three more years of this! #Canucks @botchford  @FriedgeHNIC @sportsnetmurph https://t.co/MfKYgrlA12" / Twitter

That picture about sums up the last decade!  Thank god that guy and his AHL side-kick coach green are finally gone  Once & For All!   

At least now we can have Hope!

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Jim Rutherford's pick history of the past 14 drafts with the Hurricanes with his first selection of that draft (whether a 1st round pick or his first pick of a particular year)

10 - from the CHL

3 - from the NCAA

2 - Europe

and with Pittsburgh his first selections of the draft encompassed

3 - from the CHL

2 - Europe

Rutherford heavily leans into the CHL when it comes to the draft. I know its Allvin's decision and based on his European background he would have a lot more comfortability with those players too.

If the Canucks select from the CHL - I bet its a Dman - Kevin Korchinski, Denton Mateychuk, but if its from Europe I think its a forward like Liam Ohgren or Danila Yurov.

good.  chl breeds stanley cup winners. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

We need to stay clear of bringing more soft, stoic/neutered Swedes into this organization.   We've already seen Alvin "pluck" a couple of low-hanging swedes in the last few weeks and know where is brain is wired to (look-out) and need more Grit, size and determination on this team than fancy/dancy soft, regular season type Swedish finese players who think an Olympic Gold medal is more important than the Stanley Cup. We already have enough of those on our roster and have had over 20 years of overly heavy Swedish influence on this team and where has it gotten us? 

Time to build this team into cyborgs like Colorado has with mostly Canadian & American players and they only have 1 swede on their entire roster!  Pick some big WHL boys and USA instead JR and keep control over Alvin!

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Where is Landeskog, the Avs’ Captain, from exactly?  

..........as I previously mentioned...............................

4 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

Yeah you can say that. I haven’t been following most of this year’s prospects and just been stat watching for the most part. I just have a good gut feeling about the kid. I’d be ecstatic if Mintyukov, Korchinski, Kasper, Miro are among those still available at our pick. Then we’ll have ourselves a dilemma on who we’d pick.

History hasn't been good to guys who plummet.  See Schroeder, Esposito, Vilardi for examples.

9 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

That picture about sums up the last decade!  Thank god that guy and his AHL side-kick coach green are finally gone  Once & For All!   

Kole Lind  pfft  He made such a big deal out of him being available

11 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

We need to stay clear of bringing more soft, stoic/neutered Swedes into this organization.   We've already seen Alvin "pluck" a couple of low-hanging swedes in the last few weeks and know where is brain is wired to (look-out) and need more Grit, size and determination on this team than fancy/dancy soft, regular season type Swedish finese players who think an Olympic Gold medal is more important than the Stanley Cup. We already have enough of those on our roster and have had over 20 years of overly heavy Swedish influence on this team and where has it gotten us? 

Time to build this team into cyborgs like Colorado has with mostly Canadian & American players and they only have 1 swede on their entire roster!  Pick some big WHL boys and USA instead JR and keep control over Alvin!

I don't think Swedes are soft/stoic/neutered in anyway. They can be some of the most feisty, competitive, and toughest players to play against. The Twins, Landeskog, Hornqvist, Backlund are good examples of that. 

Ohgren projects as a powerforward with a lot of skill and sandpaper. Something we need if we depart with JT MIller. If you solely draft a player based on nationality and some old school thinking of big and tough wins you hockey, Colorado showed that you can win with skill, speed, and smaller players. Pick players who are good, and bring different traits you need to a club. Picking players simply because they're big does not mean a good hockey player, there are tons of recent picks who were big who simply can't keep up in todays game.

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

History hasn't been good to guys who plummet.  See Schroeder, Esposito, Vilardi for examples.

Yeah that’s frankly true. I’m honestly would be happy with whomever management picks. Whether it’d be a D or C, as long as it addresses a need in our organization, I will be ecstatic. BPA would be ideal as well

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Kole Lind  pfft  He made such a big deal out of him being available

I remember in the draft video he was like "Why isn't anyone taking Kole Lind?" well we know why now ;)

Edited by Shekky

3 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I don't think Swedes are soft/stoic/neutered in anyway. They can be some of the most feisty, competitive, and toughest players to play against. The Twins, Landeskog, Hornqvist, Backlund are good examples of that. 

Ohgren projects as a powerforward with a lot of skill and sandpaper. Something we need if we depart with JT MIller. If you solely draft a player based on nationality and some old school thinking of big and tough wins you hockey, Colorado showed that you can win with skill, speed, and smaller players. Pick players who are good, and bring different traits you need to a club. Picking players simply because they're big does not mean a good hockey player, there are tons of recent picks who were big who simply can't keep up in todays game.

Peter Forsberg and Niklas Kronwall weren't exactly soft either.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

..........as I previously mentioned...............................

Colorado actually has 2 Swedes, you forgot Andre Burakovsky. 

Many of the European players such as Landeskog, Burakovsky, Arturri Lekhonen, Val Nichushkin, Mikko Rantanen - were huge parts of the Av's Stanley Cup Wins.

Okay, this is the plan, and how it could go down:

If Kasper, Mintyukov and Ohgren are gone by #15, VAN is going to trade down with MTL for the #26 and #33.

Then, they will select Noah Ostlund and Calle Odelius