The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blackhawks trade Alex DeBrincat to Senators for 2022 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2024 3rd-round pick

1 minute ago, Spoosh said:

I thought Ottawa would still build through the draft a few more years. If the land Giroux on top of this just now, they’ll have a pretty exciting time seeing where they are going next. Kinda like it but not sure it’ll put them in the playoffs just yet.

They were already hoping to make the playoffs the year of the adjusted divisions due to Covid.  They had gone all in and acquired Murray - hasn't worked out. 

13 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Just posted another topic that Dylan Strome from CHI is not being retained on an RFA deal and will walk as UFA.

unless this debrincat trade changes anything, CHI is in full rebuild now.

I’ll take Seth Jones and Patty Kane at 50% retained thank you very much.

Jokes Aside Seth Jones would be amazing here just cant even think of a deal that would work

Edited by R3aL
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Should be pretty close in value as DeBrincat is also 5'7" and has had Kane setting him up. Kid can score goals like nothing, but im not sure we would bring much else in a tough playoff series. 

Exactly, Miller takes faceoffs, kill penalties, he does it all.

Will be interesting to see if DeBrincat can still score in Ottawa or not, I think he'll drop to a 30-35 goal scorer.

Still a good trade by both teams, you'd think a 40 goal scoring, young winger would be worth more but top 10 picks are highly touted these days.

Basically the value for most good players like this is a good top 6 forward/top 4 defenceman, prospect and a 1st. You could argue that the 7th overall will fill the first need, the 2nd rounder is almost a 1st and the future 2nd is a prospect. Timing is the key here, Chicago have said they don't like how their stars are progressing at different stages and are going to blow it up again to basically recreate their last core.

14 minutes ago, Honourable Hughes said:

Wtf, if Ottawa can sign a vet like Giroux, then they’re looking not too bad, especially their top 6.

Their D is super thin, they won't be super competitive  until they address that and goaltending but their forward group is looking nice. 

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Shouldn’t Debrincat have more value than JT, just based on age?  Debrincat is just coming into his prime.  Miller is leaving his.  

I think that @48MPHSlapShot nailed it on the head. Miller is better, but older and less team-controlled. Debrincat still very likely has 4-5 years of the chance to score 40+ each year left. Miller might continue to be a 90+ point player, but it's not super likely that he'll do that for years regularly going forward.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Why is everybody knocking OTT's defence? 

We all know how good Chabot is.

Zub is a top tier defensive defenceman.  He would be near the top of the list for me for the Canucks if he were available.

Sanderson is probably gonna turn into a helluva defenceman too (might be right up there with Chabot in a couple years)

Brannstrom can probably still develop into a solid top 4 (albeit a disappointment as he was once touted as one of the best prospects in the league)

Anyways, that's a really solid Top 4 to work with.  Not to mention Bernard-Docker is a really good prospect too.

Hamonic was actually serviceable for them too

5 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

DeBrincat is a much better return than the rumoured Anderson + Dvorak.

What?!  No way!

Anderson + Dvorak = 2

Debrincat = 1

More is better.

Plus the bigger the cap hits, the better! 

:P

Edited by HKSR
  • Haha 1

Just now, HKSR said:

What?!  No way!

Anderson + Dvorak = 2

Debrincat = 1

More is better.

Plus the bigger than cap hits, the better! 

:P

Habs fans are the funniest.  Dvorak, Anderson, Hoffman, Drouin aren’t cap dumps!  Good look with those contracts! :lol:

Makes you wonder what they're going to do with the rest of their kids, sounds like Strome is out and Dach might be on the way too. A couple of top 3 picks there but Chicago clearly don't like what they see and want to start from scratch.

To be honest, it sounds brutal but they're right and they constructed a great core a few years ago around Toews, Kane, Keith and Seabrook. Dach, DeBrincat, Jones and Strome are not the same.

They need to sell these kids and start with a decent center and young all around defencemen.

Just now, mll said:

9M qualifying offer after this coming season and 1 year to UFA with arbitration rights.  

True, but 7OA in this draft is very likely to be a bustaroo anyway.  The Hawks are very likely to end up with craperolla with that pick.  

Chicago's asking price was insane, I would have laughed in their face. I think DeBrincat has been overrated for a while but especially since the trade rumours; He's a one dimensional goal scorer who rode shotgun with Kane, who I still consider to be a top-3 or top-5 winger in the game. He's a good player who should still put up numbers, but all the people (mainly Senators fans understandably) declaring that Ottawa's rebuild is over are in for a rude awakening in my eyes. DeBrincat isn't a difference maker and their defense and goaltending are still horrendous, we'll see how the rest of the offseason goes for them.