The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Nucks & Jets

Canucks Trade

Myers + our 3rd for 2022

Jets Trade 

Brenden Dillion

we get couple mill in cap relief! Jets have tons of cap space! Plus our 3rd rd draft pick. Or we could go straight across with Canucks retaining 12.5% salary retained. Send Myers back to Winnipeg;) 

The thing with myers is he is a good number 4 who can do a bit more when needed. If he was making 4.5 he would be a steal.

but moving myers and retaining is putting us out a top 4 rhd and then when we find one to replace him it will be a moot point because it will be roughly the same cap with the new player and whatever cap is retained by the canucks

the only way I see this happening is if miller or garland is traded before free agency for a cost controlled elc RHD top 4, then moving myers as fast as possible to clear cap to get in on

zedorov

marchmant

nichuskin

offer sheet Roy

I’m not ok to just let Myers go yet. He is overpaid and taking up valuable cap but big RHD do not grow on trees. He ate up a lot of tough minutes last year and isn’t as bad as some on here seem to think. If a miller trade brings in a big mean RHD that’s great and may allow for a trade of this nature but right now he is the best we have with very few options 

It isn't that Myers is "bad", exactly. It's just that for a 6 million dollar player, one would expect at least a few of:
- High end offensive skills, like a booming shot or shifty edgework for example
- Outstanding puck movement or playmaking ability
- Consistently solid defensive play and shot blocking

- Punishing physicality and intimidation
- Supreme hockey IQ, quick decision making and smart plays

Of all these points, he's only somewhat physical (should be moreso with his size), and he does pretty well at blocking shots. Other than that, it's quite average at absolute best for the remainder. For 6 million? I've said it before, but I'd way sooner see us segment the D into roles. For 6m or less, we can bring in a big defensive-first player to play with Hughes. Get another guy back there who can make things happen; maybe Rathbone is that guy next season. Myers is more a utility guy - he does a little of everything, but nothing particularly well. We already have that in OEL - who does most things better.

Nah I don't think I'd do this. I know that Dillion is maybe better in his own end, but we need a RHD and losing one to get another LHD doesn't sway me. Our left side is also fairly stacked (the right is what needs lots of work) so he'd be behind Hughes and OEL and then likely take Rathbone's 3rd pairing spot and I would rather Rathbone take that place and get better. 

Also we give up a pick. 

On 7/7/2022 at 5:33 PM, Dixon Ward said:

I am not in the "get rid of Myers" camp.  I think he is much more valuable that most on cdc give him credit for.  We are in desperate need of quality RHD, so we trade our best one for someone who plays less minutes, scores less, and is a worse skater.  This is to save 2.1 million.  Oh, and we throw in a 3rd in a draft where we don't have a 2nd?  

I know many will disagree, but we are a better team with OEL Myers as a pairing than with Brendan Dillon playing 3rd D minutes.

However, if a good trade comes for Myers that frees up cap space and we have a good plan to replace him with something better, I'm for it.

Well some actually agree and i'm one of them.   Have been a big fan of Myers, and love having him on the team.   Nobody was complaining when he nailed Keith into the boards, and followed it up by dropping some Oiler right after one punched.    He was great for us in the bubble despite half the calls simply because he's too tall lol.   And one of the few players against Vegas that more then held his own (Motte and Demko the only other two)....

Sure it would be great if we had another top four RHD.   Schenn played admirably, but we got lucky there.   OEL-Myers is a legit top four pairing.   Cap sure - about 2-3 million too rich.   But without them, man would our D be awful. 

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So are we planning to play all of our left D on the right side like the old Soviet Red Army team?

Those Soviets!   I find it strange how the leagues got way too many left shot D's - wasn't always like this.   Like kids growing up are told by their coaches "play left handed and you will have a better shot at getting drafted" because only 9-10% are naturally left handed.   Left wingers are a commodity for a reason too.   Not nearly as many quality ones historically, as right wingers.   Maybe more should use a flat stick like Kariya and Rocket, Howe etc did - that way you can switch hands and your backhand is way more accurate and deadly.    Kariya used to switch hands all the time depending on the play and circumstance.     It's simply mind boggling that 150% of all NHL D's shoot left.   I'm left handed but played right handed because the sticks available to me were all curved for right handed people.   Doesn't take much to get used to IF you start that way, and have an inkling that's why these right handed left shot defenseman were taught that way very early on as well - because of their coaches.     They need to pull it back a little.   And let these naturally right handed kids play the right side.   

• Upvote 1

On 7/8/2022 at 5:26 PM, Bobby James said:

Nah I don't think I'd do this. I know that Dillion is maybe better in his own end, but we need a RHD and losing one to get another LHD doesn't sway me. Our left side is also fairly stacked (the right is what needs lots of work) so he'd be behind Hughes and OEL and then likely take Rathbone's 3rd pairing spot and I would rather Rathbone take that place and get better. 

Also we give up a pick. 

Rathbone has a good chance of having a decent career.   Too bad we already have one pint sized D on the left side - but have to say Rathbone is pretty jacked for his size.   Also a very good AHLer - and keeps getting better.   I'm tentative to trade him... could be an Adam Fox mistake.   Doubt he's that good - but at the same time i'd like to see what he can do for us at the NHL level with some PP time.    Maybe he can be our Rafalski.   If i was him, i'd be working like crazy on practicing the right side.   If he can be a switch hitter, it's possible we'd be onto something as well.   

Edit:  Quite simply, we need Rathbone to work out for us as a quality, cheap, top four pairing  D.    That happens it would be cake.   Also would take some heat off the JB era and we can just put that one to rest.     We need more scoring from our D outside of QHs.   And we need better defending as well.   Rathbone Manson could be a line ... hard to say for sure but it sure worked out great for COL with Byram/Manson as their second pairing and they are about the same size once you factor in the muscles on this kid (Rathbone).    I really truly hope that we go after Manson this off season.   There are ways we can whittle the cap down to fit him in AND keep Myers and Miller this season.   Then make the tough moves later.   Rathbone is part of the solution, not the problem. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Rathbone has a good chance of having a decent career.   Too bad we already have one pint sized D on the left side - but have to say Rathbone is pretty jacked for his size.   Also a very good AHLer - and keeps getting better.   I'm tentative to trade him... could be an Adam Fox mistake.   Doubt he's that good - but at the same time i'd like to see what he can do for us at the NHL level with some PP time.    Maybe he can be our Rafalski.   If i was him, i'd be working like crazy on practicing the right side.   If he can be a switch hitter, it's possible we'd be onto something as well.   

We have Dermott for one more year at 1.5.  Schenn for one more year at less than 1.  If we do get a partner for Hughes, then those two will be our bottom pair this year.  If we don’t get a partner for Hughes, then Schenn moves up, and Bone would get a very good chance to play with Dermott.  Then we have Poolman, but his health is a concern.  

Rathbone has such a high upside it wouldn’t be smart to trade him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

We have Dermott for one more year at 1.5.  Schenn for one more year at less than 1.  If we do get a partner for Hughes, then those two will be our bottom pair this year.  If we don’t get a partner for Hughes, then Schenn moves up, and Bone would get a very good chance to play with Dermott.  Then we have Poolman, but his health is a concern.  

Rathbone has such a high upside it wouldn’t be smart to trade him.

Agreed.   I think the best case for our team next season is too bite the bullet and go after Manson.   Adding him to our group changes everything.   Poolman just play him or put him in the minors as a depth call-up.   Trading him would cost us.    Trading Pearson whittles the cap down, and play Kuzmo.  Then sell some of our dead cap space.   We do that - next year we have a shot at something special.    

OEL - Myers 

QHs - Manson 

Rathbone/Dermott/Schenn/Poolman.

Thats some good depth and a legit top four.    We'd have to whittle away at the cap ... and it could come at a cost - but personally believe we could move ourselves out of the 10/11ish spot under Bruce up to the top 6-8th.    All you need to be a contender these days.   With LA boosting, ANA coming up behind us, and Vegas, EDM, CAL .... we can't stay still.   Then next off season we sell of Myers.   Fortunately, with this years massive pay day - the covid cap isn't going to take more then next season and the one after it to resolve itself.   Right around the time this team really needs the cap. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Agreed.   I think the best case for our team next season is too bite the bullet and go after Manson.   Adding him to our group changes everything.   Poolman just play him or put him in the minors as a depth call-up.   Trading him would cost us.    Trading Pearson whittles the cap down, and play Kuzmo.  Then sell some of our dead cap space.   We do that - next year we have a shot at something special.    

OEL - Myers 

QHs - Manson 

Rathbone/Dermott/Schenn/Poolman.

Thats some good depth and a legit top four.    We'd have to whittle away at the cap ... and it could come at a cost - but personally believe we could move ourselves out of the 10/11ish spot under Bruce up to the top 6-8th.    All you need to be a contender these days.   With LA boosting, ANA coming up behind us, and Vegas, EDM, CAL .... we can't stay still.   Then next off season we sell of Myers.   Fortunately, with this years massive pay day - the covid cap isn't going to take more then next season and the one after it to resolve itself.   Right around the time this team really needs the cap. 

I think Manson is the perfect partner for Hughes.  Only issue is at what cost to get him, probably 5x5 or something close to that, and also how to fit him under the cap if you want to keep Myers one more year.

Hughes    Manson

OEL         Myers

That is quite an expensive top 4.  You are looking at around $26 million.  Only way that would work is if you trade Garland and Pearson and Dickinson up front.  But then we have zero depth up front, especially if Miller is traded.  We could go after Mason Marchment, but he would cost even more than Pearson I would imagine.

It's a tricky process to change this team right now as we have a full lineup signed up through next season with no cap space.  We have to sell before we can buy.  Miller could be the first domino to fall.  We will see what happens next week.