The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

2 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

So which scouts are right?

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - May 31: "He is a goal-scoring threat from the faceoff dots with a hard, accurate wrist shot and one-timer that projects to be a weapon in the NHL. He has good speed, hands and vision to generate clean entries and make plays but those aspects don’t pop like his shot."

Jeff Svoboda - NHL.com - June 27: "He's a versatile player in the offensive zone with excellent skating skills, a great release -- he might have the best shot in the draft -- and the ability to handle the puck at a high level."

Adam Kimelman - NHL.com - June 29th: "Lekkerimaki (5-10, 171) has an NHL-caliber shot, with a one-timer or wrist shot he can use to pick corners. He's an excellent skater with good offensive instincts."

Until I see for myself, I think I will lean toward the very detailed opinion along with the named and dated opinions. I am guessing he is a good skater.

• Vintage 1

He's gonna be real good. Really happy with this pick.

Lekkerimaki was ranked in the Top 10. I also remember a skinny kid named Elias a few years ago - Lekkerimaki will grow and fill out, I'd say to eventually 6'1" 190. 

Pettersson - Lekkerimaki

Future got a little bit brighter

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I am cautiously optimistic on this pick.  Some have criticism for his size.  I think at 5'11" 172lb at and not yet turned 18, he's going to definitely fill out and possibly even add an inch or so.  We'll have to see who's correct about his skating as we're seeing several divergent views on it at this time. What seems to be consensus is that he has a wicked shot and was the BPA at 15.  If he has so many deficiencies, why is he consistently ranked higher than 15th pick?

As always, only time will tell what we have.  Petey in his draft year hadn't even played a game in the SHL, so in terms of development Lekkerimaki appears to be doing pretty well with 26 games in the SHL.  I'm not sure why he had no Allsvenskan games but instead played J20 Nationell instead?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, Provost said:

The scouting reports so saw and what they said on the broadcast said his speed was a knock on him.  “Nylander without the speed”.

If I recall,  BoHo's  skating was considered a weak point at one time, now he blows by defenders^_^.

If he's ready to put work in, there's room for improvement with any specific skill.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Provost said:

The scouting reports so saw and what they said on the broadcast said his speed was a knock on him.  “Nylander without the speed”.

For our group and for the profile they said they wanted, I would have picked Ohgren, Pickering, Miroschnichenko, or Bichsel.

We won’t know the answer on this pick for 4-5 years.

Well regret not taking ivan miro in 2 years 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Meh… you can’t expect much from this position.

JR says he likes a big fast team, they draft a small slow player.

Never heard that said about him before.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2