The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

9 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Wasn’t able to watch the draft this year :( (busy with family stuff) but really happy with this pick. Didn’t expect Lekkerimaki to fall to us. I was convinced he’d go top-10.

Sure, a couple of the players I found intriguing were still on the board, but if you’d told me yesterday that we’d be getting Lekkerimaki, I’d be like that woman in the “start the car” IKEA commercial.

Consistently rated by scouts as either the very best shot/sniper in the draft, or minimum top-2/top-3, and he’s not nearly as one dimensional as some have said. Hockey IQ, passing, puck skills, etc are all look pretty good, his skating isn’t nearly the issue that some have claimed IMO, and his flaws are he’s merely a little undersized/light (also really young and time and room to grow), and like nearly every offensively gifted kid, he could stand to work on his defence.

At #15, if you can get one truly elite talent (his shot), in a pretty darn good overall skill package, you take the money and run.

Word is that he was the pretty much the “dare to dream” option the Canucks hoped might fall to them. I’d imagine Allvin and the scouting team are over the moon.

And looking around other boards and socials, I’m seeing a lot of “steal of the draft” and “home run” comments from people I consider pretty knowledgeable on prospects. :) 

Thanks. All I know is I wanted Cody Glass over the last skinny Swede we drafted. If Gradin has his fingerprints on this, then I'm good. Welcome young Viking!

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

Of note, if my research is correct, Lekkerimaki is the youngest player taken in the entire first round.

10 months and 15 days younger than the oldest player taken, Reid Schaefer (Edm).  That is not an insignificant amount of development time for kids this age.  

There will likely be development which he is yet to fulfill in terms of both skill/physical maturity relative to his peers.  

Edited by Fanuck
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Odd. said:

He’s also one the youngest players eligible in this draft. Still a child quite literally 

I have an 18 year old hockey player. Agreed, so much difference in a few months and rate of maturity. I'm sure they did their homework. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

Boy is he slow, terrible skating:bigblush: 

Alvin himself said he's a smooth skater.

How often is he in behind guys, out skating guys in video.

I dont see him being a bad skater.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, YearoftheNuck said:

I saw quite a bit of him at the U18’s this year and was blown away by him. He’s exceptionally skilled and absolutely dominated that tournament where the majority of the other first round draft picks played in as well. 

After watching him in the U18’s I never would’ve thought we’d be lucky enough to draft him at 15. This is a similar feeling of shock and gratitude that I had when Hughes miraculously fell to us at 7.

Did you see any skating issue like some of this out to lunch drunk scouts? Then again I watch his highlights and saw no issues and more scouts report him having good speed. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

Did you see any skating issue like some of this out to lunch drunk scouts? Then again I watch his highlights and saw no issues and more scouts report him having good speed. 

I didn’t notice any issues with his skating at all. In fact, I thought he was pretty explosive. 

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

https://thehockeywriters.com/jonathan-lekkerimaki-2022-nhl-draft-profile/

Lucky Lekkerimäki, just like Lucky Luke, draws faster than his own shadow and is just as accurate as the cartoon character. The right-winger has scored in each competition he entered this season, be it internationally in the IIHF Under-18s, in the SHL where he made experienced goalies look like rookies, or in Swedish U20 competition where he was just as dominant as you can expect from a top-10 talent for the 2022 NHL Draft. Jonathan Lekkerimäki has one of the best, if not the best, shots in the draft class; the only other player that I can see coming close is the Finnish phenom Joakim Kemmell.

Lekkerimäki stepped up when it really mattered. In the U18s, he recorded five goals in six games, including an empty-net goal in the final, where he also had three assists (including on the game-winning goal).

Birthplace: Huddinge, Sweden
Date of birth: July 24, 2004
Shoots: Right
Position: Right Wing
Height: 5’11”
Weight: 172 lbs.
Team: Djurgårdens IF, SHL

There are questions, though. Is Lekkerimäki a one-trick pony? Having been out of the spotlight due to Djurgården having a terrible season, and being caught in the limbo of being a bit too good for the U20s and not really good enough for the SHL, it is tough to make a fair assessment of the problem.

He handles the puck well, keeping it in close in order to make it difficult for the opponents to steal it from him. This also gives him the chance to dangle the opponents that are more often caught off balance as they try to reach for the puck, or off speed if they wait too long. The defenders are damned if they do, and damned if they don’t.

The thing is that Lekkerimäki isn’t really great at everything else. He is average at best when it comes to skating, and while he reads the game well he doesn’t push the envelop in any regard defensively. It is the one-dimensional play that makes it difficult to project his success down the line. In a way he reminds me a bit of Victor Olofsson of the Buffalo Sabres; while his overall game isn’t the best, it may not matter when you can score from anywhere on the ice.

Screenshot_2022_06_30_at_02_10_47_JonathElite Prospects

The shot that he possesses is one-of-a-kind, and he can use it effectively whether it’s a slapshot or wrister. If the puck is passed with speed or if it’s dead on his stick, it doesn’t matter, Lekkerimäki will generate such power and force that it will beat the goalie anyway, reminiscent of Cole Caufield’s. Lekkerimäki’s shot cannot be taught; it is a natural gift and he knows exactly what to do any time he is in a shooting position.

His overall game is what brings the perception down. He has trouble when his first read doesn’t work. He competes in the defensive zone, but it does not come natural to him. He has to think about what he’s supposed to be doing at times, which slows down his reactions and adjustments. When you look at the Gold Medal Game of the U18s, you can also see that he cheats a bit for the empty-net goal, it might be that the coaches want to force the defencemen to be aware of an attacker, but it could be something to keep an eye on with regard to his overall defensive play.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/6/30/23187897/jonathan-lekkerimaki-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-scoutin-reports-rankings-offensive-winger-shot

Write-up says not really good enough for the SHL lol. Didn't he have a stretch of 6 goals and 8 points in 11 games when he was tried in a top six role?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting option:

Go to Vancouver all summer with Canucks appointed training staff or reccomended regimen.

Spend 1 on 1 on 1 time with the Sedins.

Become the sedins number 1 project.

Got to the Giants and let our markets be your fan and play on North American ice on home turf with local support and training.

Would be very interesting.

He probably goes back too Sweden but its a really intriguing option and not something we've ever had as fans.

And the timing of it with the Sedins roles  I don't know looks very interesting.

Or even..

Allvenskan 1 year

Abby Canucks 1 year Sedin time

I am so excited about this

Too think we would have such high potential Swedish Forwards like EP and JL in follow up to Sedins is pretty cool.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Write-up says not really good enough for the SHL lol. Didn't he have a stretch of 6 goals and 8 points in 11 games when he was tried in a top six role?

Yeah I noticed several issues with that article. I’m no expert, but a 17 year old scoring 7 goals in 26 games in the SHL is pretty damn impressive IMO

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

second to only Foppa for 17 years old SHL performance thats the worst take I have ever seen on his SHLperformANCE. Ohgren with a more mature body looked lost on the ice. 

Lekkerimaki out performed eklund.

What a hot take. Like he's a bad skater, he wasn't good in the shl lol like what..

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, YearoftheNuck said:

Yeah I noticed several issues with that article. I’m no expert, but a 17 year old scoring 7 goals in 26 games in the SHL is pretty damn impressive IMO

Second for 17 year old in SHL to only Peter Forsberg who had 7  in 23 games or something like that.. so yes very impressive. And much more than ohgren and ostlund did in their shl time.

• Thanks 1