The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | D

I would bring him over for some training and to watch Abbotsford. I don't believe that he can play in the playoffs there, but I think it would be good for him to watch, learn more about the North American style and watch some of his potential, future teammates as well. Soak it up a little.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, flat land fish said:

One of the most encouraging aspects of this report is that he knows what his strengths are and sounds like he plays to them and ultimately knows what he is as a hockey player.  I think there’s an NHL player here.

And it's one of those worthless later picks that takes years to develop. Go figure.

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

And it's one of those worthless later picks that takes years to develop. Go figure.

The question we need to ask ourselves is Pettersson better than Hirose. To me Hirose is standing in his way for the next number of years. That's not to say I don't like him, to me he's good especially at his age. However Hisrose  is  24 and likely ready this coming season. Plus who knows maybe Jurmo steps up. On the other side it's McWard or Johansson, especially now with Bear injured for the opening of the season, even if they do sign him. Unless we get a RHD in the draft. Man it's sparse on the right side

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

The question we need to ask ourselves is Pettersson better than Hirose. To me Hirose is standing in his way for the next number of years. That's not to say I don't like him, to me he's good especially at his age. However Hisrose  is  24 and likely ready this coming season. Plus who knows maybe Jurmo steps up. On the other side it's McWard or Johansson, especially now with Bear injured for the opening of the season, even if they do sign him. Unless we get a RHD in the draft. Man it's sparse on the right side

Of Hirose is a difference maker at the nhl level that’s a great thing.  Pettersson brings the physical element so will be a different style of dman.  Promising pk kind of guy.

14 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Pettersson is stil very young. Give him a couple of years at least to mature in the SHL and AHL... at that stage we should know, what we got in Hirose. 
Definitely like what we are hearing about D-Petey. 
Maybe they'll be able to let go/ buy out OEL at that stage, or bury him in the AHL/Press box (provided he doesn't find his game again). 

Edited by spook007

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

Pettersson is stil very young. Give him a couple of years at least to mature in the SHL and AHL... at that stage we should know, what we got in Hirose. 
Definitely like what we are hearing about D-Petey. 
Maybe they'll be able to let go/ buy out OEL at that stage, or bury him in the AHL/Press box (provided he doesn't find his game again). 

D-Petey is two years away, and by that time we will be looking at a really cheap and short OEL buyout. 

Summer of 2025 

Hughes 

Artist formerly known as OEL 

Hirose 

D-Petey as the 7th dman 

14 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

D-Petey is two years away, and by that time we will be looking at a really cheap and short OEL buyout. 

Summer of 2025 

Hughes 

Hirose 

D-Petey as the 7th dman 

Definitely no rush to sign him. Especially since he’s a 2022 pick, so falls under the new (2022) transfer agreement rules, where, until he turns 24, he has to be offered back to his SHL team on loan, before he can be assigned to the AHL. So basically, they need to let him cook in Sweden until he’s either NHL ready or 24 years old, whichever comes first (hopefully the former).

Obviously they’ll still need to sign him to a ELC before his draft rights run out. But they could wait until 2026 (when he’s 22). And it’s possible they’ll need to loan him back to Sweden even then.

I’m hopeful he’ll be ready to make the NHL team sooner than that (like the two year development timeline you’re suggesting, which would be age 21), but I doubt it’s going to be any earlier than 2025 (unless he has an absolutely massive 2023-24 season in the SHL).

I wonder if the he plays in the SHL next year, if we can slowly get him to the AHL the following year and then maybe the NHL during that year or after, so a good 2ish years away from bottom-pairing NHL minutes? 

That'd time really nicely with our 11th overall pick this year if we somehow secure ASP or Reinbacher - what a great pairing that'd be. Obviously the two kids wouldn't play with each other in the NHL right away but maybe down the line as mid-20 year olds what a pairing: Petey - ASP or Reinbacher as a shutdown type.

We've had a lot of defensive prospects taken in later rounds in the past who haven't panned out but Pettersson looks pretty legit and he's doing well in the SHL so far, let's just hope it translates but he brings a physical edge to his game that not many young Canucks have had.

On 6/12/2023 at 9:46 AM, VancouverHabitant said:

Summer of 2025 

Hughes 

Hirose 

D-Petey as the 7th dman 

Dave Chappelle Breakfast GIF by Comedy Central

• Haha 2