The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kirill Kudryavtsev | D

If my often aging memory still serves, I believe this kid was one of the youngest players at our Young Stars tournament, but was our best play driver from the back end - very calm, very good coverage and gap control, and sees the ice very well. Got a feeling that this kid has a future with the big team in the not too distant future. Of course, poor contracts with inferior players can stand in the way, but that is nothing that he can control. But I think the ‘best he can be’ is pretty darned good.

3 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

If my often aging memory still serves, I believe this kid was one of the youngest players at our Young Stars tournament, but was our best play driver from the back end - very calm, very good coverage and gap control, and sees the ice very well. Got a feeling that this kid has a future with the big team in the not too distant future. Of course, poor contracts with inferior players can stand in the way, but that is nothing that he can control. But I think the ‘best he can be’ is pretty darned good.

Yeah the anchor on development .....  finding a spot already taken up by lessor player in the big team. Man JB did a real job on the franchise.

Kirill Kudryavtsev - 2022 NHL Draft Prospect Profile (thehockeywriters.com)

Edited by Fred65
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Yeah the anchor on development .....  finding a spot already taken up by lessor player in the big team. Man JB did a real job on the franchise.

For everyone asking for an OEL buyout, the timing of it would actually line up for when Kirill is ready for the NHL if things go right.  2 years from now.  

8 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Yeah, JB put a couple of massive sinkholes in the road for some of the young guys, and OEL is the biggest hole in the ground. I can’t see anybody taking him without a massive incentive - I think we are pretty much stuck with a buyout (bad deal that that is for sure). Those payments for Luongo were a chokehold on the ‘Nucks for years - and Luongo had given us great service, unlike OEL. Bettman really stuck it to us with that move.

• Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

This kid is a very intriguing prospect.  I can't believe the Nucks picked him up in the 7th round.

He was rated top-100 by a lot of people, so it was definitely a strong pick at #208 overall.

I can remember some scouts expressing concerns about his pace and mental processing speed, which may have been why he dropped so low.

I haven’t really seen any of those weaknesses in my own (admittedly limited) viewings of him, and wonder how much of those perceived issues were just due to him adjusting to smaller ice and the NA game? 

Certainly those types of criticisms have now disappeared from any of his post-draft reports, and he’s earning very high praise for his play this season (like you posted).

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He was rated top-100 by a lot of people, so it was definitely a strong pick at #208 overall.

I can remember some scouts expressing concerns about his pace and mental processing speed, which may have been why he dropped so low.

I haven’t really seen any of those weaknesses in my own (admittedly limited) viewings of him, and wonder how much of those perceived issues were just due to him adjusting to smaller ice and the NA game? 

Certainly those types of criticisms have now disappeared from any of his post-draft reports, and he’s earning very high praise for his play this season (like you posted).

I see that he turns 20yrs next February.  Does he make the jump to the AHL next season or will he 

stay another year in JR? What are your thoughts?

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

I see that he turns 20yrs next February.  Does he make the jump to the AHL next season or will he 

stay another year in JR? What are your thoughts?

He won’t be 20 by the end of this calendar year, so he can’t play AHL next season, due to the terms of the CHL-NHL transfer agreement.

Unless he was drafted under some quirky Euro exception? I don’t think that’s the case. Pretty sure he was an import draft selection and full commitment to the OHL. But I believe in some loan situations, European players become exempt from the CHL-NHL agreement, and retain European prospect status, even though they’re drafted while playing in the CHL.

So most likely he’s going back to the OHL next season and then will either start the AHL in 2024-25 or maybe go straight to the NHL, if his next year’s development is exceptional and he’s actually ready to compete for a spot.

EDIT: Just checked and yes, he was an import draft selection and a transferred contract, so North American draft status and an CHL player under the terms of the CHL-NHL agreement. So he needs to be 20 (by Dec 31) to play in the AHL. 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah I've watched about three of his games and he's always anticipating much better and faster then anyone else on the ice.  

Pucks are always coming to him, instead of him chasing after them. 

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

This kid is a very intriguing prospect.  I can't believe the Nucks picked him up in the 7th round.

"One of the smartest activators in the draft class, Kudryavtsev’s upside comes from both supporting the offence and creating it. He anticipates hand-offs along the boards, using that space to shoot. The give-and-go from the point features heavily in his game, often used to create a shot for himself or a set-up a teammate across the slot. When he’s on the weak side, he consistently identifies seams, then fills them without exposing his team to risk". -EliteProspects 2022 NHL Draft Guide

This is what his current coach thinks of his game:  https://soogreyhounds.com/article/coach-calls-kirill-the-best

When it comes to the way Kirill Kudryavtsev goes about his OHL business, John Dean has always been quick to offer a ringing endorsement.

On Wednesday, the Soo Greyhounds head coach took it a step – or two – farther.

“I think Kirill is the best defenceman in the league,” said Dean, whose club continues to prepare for home games  against Sarnia, on Friday, and Windsor, on Sunday afternoon. “I really do. He does everything correctly.”

Dean, whose team made the native of Yaroslavl, Russia, an alternate captain on Tuesday, also spoke of how the 18-year-old (2004 birth year) embodies all of the qualities the Hounds want in a player.

The Soo bench boss lauded the example Kudryavtsev sets for his teammates in terms of effort, compete level and determination to follow the game plan.

“His puck distribution choices are incredible,” Dean said of the two-year veteran, who is tied for fifth in scoring among all OHL rearguards with a 6-30-36 stat line. “He runs our No. 1 power play and he consistently puts the puck into the hands of our top players.”

Asked about Kudryavtsev’s defensive game, the coach discussed how others can’t help but be excited when paired with him.

“He covers up so many blemishes, it’s not even funny,” Dean added. “If you’re his D partner, the mistakes you make he covers up for with good instincts, a good stick and a good I.Q. He’s also very positionally sound with deceptive speed.”

Told of his coach’s flattering comments, Kudryavtsev was, momentarily, at a loss for words.

“It surprises me. I’m absolutely proud,” the Hounds defenceman eventually stated. “I try to help the team in every way I can.”

In the midst of the best statistical streak of his career, Kudryavtsev has produced four goals and 17 assists over his last 19 games.

He spoke of how he believes he’s “started to be better with the puck and better with decision making.”

Asked about being named an alternate captain, Kudryavtsev said he was excited.

“I’ve never been an assistant captain, except when I was very young,” he added.

best d man on the OHL, that is good news

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

If he can stay healthy, and the team remains strong around him, he could have a monster year next year. Something to look forward to.

Soo is putting in a bid for the Memorial Cup next year! 

2 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

best d man on the OHL, that is good news

It’s his own coach who said that. Earlier this year, before Kudryavtsev signed his ELC. Maybe coach was just angling for a free steak dinner off that sweet signing bonus money. ;) 

I’m kidding, of course. Kudryavtsev is a really positive story and he’s playing great. He deserves the praise and it really is good news, like you said. :) 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Chris Faber wrote some observations yesterday upon conclusion of the Kirill's OHL season (his team did not make playoffs):

Kudryavtsev won’t have any more games to talk about this season but we are damn excited to watch him next year. He finishes the 2022-23 campaign with eight goals and 42 assists.
Those 50 points are good enough for third in the OHL when it comes to defenceman scoring from a 2022 draft pick. Kudryavtsev is primed to be one of the most dominant offensive defenceman in the OHL next season and if he can live up to the bit of hype we are giving him, he could end up making an immediate jump to the AHL at the conclusion of his 2023-24 season.
The kid has good wheels, an accurate wrist shot and seems to possess a growing confidence that shines at the OHL level. Lots of good from the prospect, which is beginning to become expected from Canucks’ seventh-round picks.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Chris Faber wrote some observations yesterday upon conclusion of the Kirill's OHL season (his team did not make playoffs):

Im really optimistic for him and EP2.

Would be absolutely massive to have two D drafted in mid to late rounds that actually play NHL games let alone be impact players.

I think the majority of us saw this kid was a special 7th rounder since he was drafted. Pretty awesome gem they've got here and like his dev path in front of him.

Would kind of be funny if JL busts and EP2 and KK both hit. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 4:02 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah I've watched about three of his games and he's always anticipating much better and faster then anyone else on the ice.  

Pucks are always coming to him, instead of him chasing after them. 

He was like that at young stars, a step ahead of almost everyone else.