Canucks 2022 Draft Was...  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the Canucks 2022 Draft

• EXCELLENT
    • GOOD
    • AVERAGE
    • SIMPLY BENNING AWFUL.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/16/2022 at 07:00 PM

I’m curious if that Washington trade was legit? They took Miro there and he could be great value. Clearly they didn’t preference what hand the players shot so I’m guessing we would have taken Pickering there as Ohgren went the pick before. I’m looking forward to free agency to see if we finally make the Miller trade and get what we need for D Prospects as I feel that is what the Canucks are pushing for and teams are hesitant to give up. 

3 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I’m surprised to see the criticism of our off season so far.  We grabbed the best euro free agent in Kuzmenko,  and got a player most had in the top 10 at 15 in Lekkerimaki.

Nice start for the front office in my eyes.  Still lots of time to go before they have built out the team they are after.

Abso friggin’ lutely.  Thank the Hockey Gods that whole Benning/Brod era is OVER.  And we again (like with Gillis) have smart hockey people, who are forward thinkers, leading our team.  Benning - worst there is, was, and ever will be. 

• Like 1

Despite not being familiar with this new management group I have confidence they will build a winning and competitive team. 
They didn’t make any questionable trades and we now have a few more solid prospects in the pipeline. I’d rather have people grumbling about something they didn’t do rather than something they did do. 
It suggests to me that they have a definitive timeline and plan and are going to stick to it. 
Future looks bright to me.

• Cheers 1

Happy to see some more prospects in the system including a blue chip sniper! That wrist shot on Lekkerimaki is something to see (if you can catch it - lightning fast). Kid is going to score some goals!

Seemed like a consensus 8th overall pick that slid to us at 15.
Reminds me of Pokolzin sliding 7 spots to us at 10.

Hopefully, with our flushed out player development staff, we can unearth a few more diamonds in the rough. We are going to need a few late picks turned into gems with the lack of picks we have had over the years!

So far, I am very happy with the new management group.  They have gone according to plan in every way.

Let's keep what they say they will do separate from what the media goes on about.  There was a lot of hype on the Miller front.  Remember, Rutherford said that they were first going to try to sign Miller and they still haven't reached a significant pressure point for that.  Apparently, they made another offer to Miller 2 days before the draft so it looks like maybe they wanted to sign him more that many had thought.  

As free agents get signed, teams who need a top 6 centre will start getting more serious with their offers.  Management really hasn't deviated from what they said earlier.

• Thanks 1

Good:
- Made some intriguing selections, although, would have liked to have seen us take chances on D. Spacek, J. Devine, and L. Mittelstadt

Meh:
- Needed to find a way to move some salary out.  These next few days, and especially on free agency frenzy, we need to be active on the trade front.  I don't doubt for a second that the team hasn't been active, but we need results.  This management isn't in their probationary period anymore - time to make things happen.

27 minutes ago, AV. said:

Good:
- Made some intriguing selections, although, would have liked to have seen us take chances on D. Spacek, J. Devine, and L. Mittelstadt

Meh:
- Needed to find a way to move some salary out.  These next few days, and especially on free agency frenzy, we need to be active on the trade front.  I don't doubt for a second that the team hasn't been active, but we need results.  This management isn't in their probationary period anymore - time to make things happen.

Myers’ NTC is still in effect until July 13th. That’s also the point where they can trade Miller with an extension already in place. 

Pretty sure things will happen once the circumstances allow for it.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

So far, I am very happy with the new management group.  They have gone according to plan in every way.

Let's keep what they say they will do separate from what the media goes on about.  There was a lot of hype on the Miller front.  Remember, Rutherford said that they were first going to try to sign Miller and they still haven't reached a significant pressure point for that.  Apparently, they made another offer to Miller 2 days before the draft so it looks like maybe they wanted to sign him more that many had thought.  

As free agents get signed, teams who need a top 6 centre will start getting more serious with their offers.  Management really hasn't deviated from what they said earlier.

I really wish more people got this.  Right now, teams also have the option of going after a Kadri, Giroux type without giving up assets.  While I like Miller better than Kadri, I'd be pretty angry at my GM if he traded the type of return we'd expect without at least trying to get Kadri for free.  We'd be closer to a deal if teams were still allowed to talk to pending UFAs a week before the date.

• Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Myers’ NTC is still in effect until July 13th. That’s also the point where they can trade Miller with an extension already in place. 

Pretty sure things will happen once the circumstances allow for it.

Yep, I agree, which is why I have things as a "meh" more so than them being "bad".

Voted average. 

I like the Lekkerimaki pick but he was clearly BPA at the time, and while i think he does have huge potential he has too many red flags to be considered a sure thing, steal of the draft kind pick. So no up vote on that one for just doing the obvious thing.

Didn't get a second for a great price.

RE.P solid enough pick that is all.

No obvious blunders for the rest of the draft which is kinda par for the course right now. 

Didn't fleece anyone, didn't produce any fire works, Didn't draft players that give u faith the org is moving in a direction to address current weakness or pull off any steals. . .

And in some ways not trying might have been the smart move, after JB tried so many times to make big trades which usually ended up being questionable at best ( at the time - obviously JT was a killer one in hindsight) and bled a lot of picks in the process leaving the cupboards empty once again. Maybe a nice quiet average draft was actually the best things for us, as boring as it is for us fans.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I really wish more people got this.  Right now, teams also have the option of going after a Kadri, Giroux type without giving up assets.  While I like Miller better than Kadri, I'd be pretty angry at my GM if he traded the type of return we'd expect without at least trying to get Kadri for free.  We'd be closer to a deal if teams were still allowed to talk to pending UFAs a week before the date.

Look at it this way, signing a free agent is a 1 way deal.  Sure, you don't have to give up an asset but in the flat cap world you are taking on 100% of the cap that you sign him for.  At least with a trade, you can mitigate the cap hit be passing a salary the other way.

Voted good... Should be a how the &^@# should I know option!

I think our previous administration has left us with residual yips... 'Once bitten twice shy'... &^@# it.... We suffer from PTSD... Period.   Look, the new guys just got here.  Give them a moment to turn the ship around... Take a deep breath.  We're okay. 

There drafting at first glance looks decent all things considered.  Kemmel vs Lekkemimaki, "who was the best pick", has just begun... It's all going to come down to development of these guys in the end anyway.  

We just have to be patient.  Let's see what the next week brings and go from there.  Would I prefer, Yzerman, Sakic or Drury as our GM... Probably but Allvin may end up being one of the better ones on this list.  I'm just so glad that we have moved on from previous 'management'.  Healing can begin lol!

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Cheers 1

Big win for the BPA crowd today. 

What am I missing with this guy. Is he going to be able to score with less time and space? Is he going to fight for his ice or cough pucks up when pressured. Kids a goal machine but assist totals are scary does he lack vision/iq? Is he going to make his team mates better or are they doing the lifting so he gets the glory? 

Admittedly I was hoping another team would draft him before our pick. So I havnt watched him as closely as other guys I felt would better complement the direction I was hoping for our team. Size and speed. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Mehhhhh.....

While everyone celebrates BPA's, it barely touched the areas of real concern. RHD and Size/speed...

Wasn't too overjoyed, when we drafted Petey, so says everything about me, however this draft did not quite follow up on all the talk, this management group did...

The late picks are ok'ish, but we've drafted lots of late Men, and they rarely makes it to the show, so I miss a statement signing on D... 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Mehhhhh.....

While everyone celebrates BPA's, it barely touched the areas of real concern. RHD and Size/speed...

Wasn't too overjoyed, when we drafted Petey, so says everything about me, however this draft did not quite follow up on all the talk, this management group did...

The late picks are ok'ish, but we've drafted lots of late Men, and they rarely makes it to the show, so I miss a statement signing on D... 

The best D went almost immediately.

I wouldn't give up Letterkenny (Lekkerimäki) for any of those that followed that pick.

He's gonna be sniping those immaculate passes from Petey in a couple years.

And we took a D with the next chance we got (T. O. Pettersson - The Other Pettersson) and several more D after that.

They are back-filling the prospect pipeline and lower ranks; can't afford to go after big-ticket players (yet).

• Vintage 1