Canucks 2022 Draft Was...  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the Canucks 2022 Draft

• EXCELLENT
    • GOOD
    • AVERAGE
    • SIMPLY BENNING AWFUL.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/16/2022 at 07:00 PM

Hmmmmm, only 36% think we did "Good" in the draft.   That is telling and one of the lowest levels of enthusiasm from Canucks nation following a draft in years.    Maybe that "tempered" result is good!

I guess the vast majority of Canucks fans aren't overwhelmed by that "suppossed" 1st round "steal" that 14 other teams passed up on (seven of them as expected - for good reason).  Hope he turns out and doesn't become another 1st round flop like Yo-Levi or Jake "The Ripper" because with our prospect pool completely depleted by 'ol Uncle Jim in a desperate attempt to save his job last year - except for one promising player thats left - we need every draft pick to amount something.  Fingers crossed!

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Hmmmmm, only 36% think we did "Good" in the draft.   That is telling and one of the lowest levels of enthusiasm from Canucks nation following a draft in years.    Maybe that "tempered" result is good!

I guess the vast majority of Canucks fans aren't overwhelmed by that "suppossed" 1st round "steal" that 14 other teams passed up on (seven of them as expected - for good reason).  Hope he turns out and doesn't become another 1st round flop like Yo-Levi or Jake "The Ripper" because with our prospect pool completely depleted by 'ol Uncle Jim in a desperate attempt to save his job last year - except for one promising player thats left - we need every draft pick to amount something.  Fingers crossed!

Tbh, I said average cause we didn't pick, what I thought management was advocating prior to the draft. 

I think time will tell, and it may turn out to be a good draft, but it didn't make me overly excited...

Hopefully he'll become a Petey type player, or if he grows a Podz type player, cause despite the OJ and JV flops, JB did also draft really good players...

• Vintage 1

17 hours ago, hammertime said:

What am I missing with this guy. Is he going to be able to score with less time and space? Is he going to fight for his ice or cough pucks up when pressured. Kids a goal machine but assist totals are scary does he lack vision/iq? Is he going to make his team mates better or are they doing the lifting so he gets the glory? 

He's going to be mentored by one of the best  - our overseas player development guru .....

image.png.c04533b368ece49b7ee2e4ca690112dc.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

You can never have enough goalies. Plus like any position they can be a hit or a miss. Goalies taken late in the draft are often years away. Two more years of junior, then years in the AHL. Is it important to have good goalies in the AHL? There will be call ups and you still need a good goalie for your AHL team. What if Spencer really proves himself and is gone in two years because he wants too much money? Thus if there's one you had an eye on and they are still available late in the draft it's a really good risk for down the road. Goalie is such a key position you really need a steady supply "just in case". And if you don't need them they become trade assets.

Well Spencer seems like a team player and I think he'll be here for a while especially if he cuts his teeth next year in the playoffs. My real concern is that RHD has been a gaping void for so many years to not take gamble on a couple of big boys as mentioned. 

2 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

It's a wait a see how these picks turn out.  Question...  How many here feel that Lekkerimaki will be the better pick versus Öhgren?  Personally, I would have gone with Öhgren, because I feel we still need more grit and overall high end 200 ft players in our middle to bottom 6.  Where as Lekkerimaki will be top 6 or bust (I don't think he'll bust though).  But value wise, is Lekky the better choice (league wide compared to for this team).  Obviously time will tell but at first glance between the two what say you?

I'm hoping at 17 he has a freak growth spurt. 6'2" 205 I'm hoping

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

So, for the record.  Per round.  My wants/needs were

1.  Gauthier/Bichsel

3.  Warren/Pettersson

4.  King/Johansson/Arnsby

5.  Barbashev

6.  Sparkes

7.  Tohila

Kind of nailed all the size/speed/skill issues on every possible metric with a couple RHD/RHC with size tossed in.  But what I want vs what we do is literally never accurate.

Except...for calling Slafkovsky 1st overall, telegraphed that bad boy back in March and gd am I envious of the Habs right now.  They have the REAL superstar Hughes ;) 

I wanted bischel too, but would have had to trade to move up our third to get him in that iassumed he went but haven't checked where he went but I didn't see him and saw we still had our 3rd but whatever, kinda bummed about it but at least we have 2 Alien's now but our 1st pick was a steal at 15th after being ranked as high as 6th because of a top level NHL ready shot like Kuz and Klim.. 

Anyway from what I saw of Mak, on high light reel goals I while heartedly agree. Pure goal scorer that just needs some touch ups in his game and honing by experience. 

I classify that as a total steal, like getting him 9 spots down? Sweeeeet! 

Holding my breath that Kuz can come and fill JT's skates and we get upgrades and see how it goes. We've in a decent position for a change and maybe JR will keep it up and not blow it. Like it that he went for 2 Dmen and one of the bigger size was a small step in the right direction for the future. 

23 hours ago, D-Money said:

Myers’ NTC is still in effect until July 13th. That’s also the point where they can trade Miller with an extension already in place. 

Pretty sure things will happen once the circumstances allow for it.

That's a really good point.  Cost certainty is huge

On 7/8/2022 at 12:53 PM, billabong said:

My only disappointment is this teams inability to acquire a few extra picks 

I thought for sure they would acquire at least 1 or 2 mid to late round picks but naww :wacko:

On 7/8/2022 at 12:53 PM, The Lock said:

I'm saying good. They had players fall into their lap and actually drafted those players that fell into their lap. I don't see the point in drafting based on position entirely and I think they drafted the BPA seemingly for the most part.

The above two quotes summarize my view. If we ask "how did the Canucks with the 6 picks they had", I think the answer is "good". But if we ask, "what about the overall approach to draft, including the decision not to acquire additional picks" then I would say "average" at best.

Of course the most important pick is the first round pick and I was very pleased with Lekkerimaki. As Todd Harvey said in his presser, they considered trading down but Lekkermaki was "too much player" to pass on. (Those were exactly the same words Judd Brackett used about Podkolzin,) The Canucks were lucky Lekkermaki dropped to #15.

As for the rest of the draft, it hurt not having a second round pick (the Benning legacy continues). I knew nothing about the other picks before the draft but, based on what I have learned since then, the Canucks seem to have done well. 

Allvin is obviously being very cautious. Kind of the like the first rule of health care: "First, do no harm". Or like Obama said when asked about how he would approach foreign policy and he allegedly said "Don't do stupid sh*t" (referring back to the Bush decision to invade Iraq).

So Allvin wants to avoid doing anything he would regret later and he wants each move he makes to be a clear positive. So far, we have some small positive moves and a conservative approach to the draft. Maybe we will see more action as he gains confidence. (And it seems like Allvin is taking the lead role despite JR being president.)  

• Upvote 1

I'm not really sure how to rate this draft, because I have two conflicting lines of thought: Wish we got more picks; but I'm glad we didn't trade down in the 1st, and got Lekkermaki.

Will have to do more research on the other selections, because we didn't really draft by need, but rather what we thought was BPA. Would have liked to get a RHD, but I'm not ready to assume there was one waiting for us that we should have gotten instead. 

Edited by Nave
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Well Spencer seems like a team player and I think he'll be here for a while especially if he cuts his teeth next year in the playoffs. My real concern is that RHD has been a gaping void for so many years to not take gamble on a couple of big boys as mentioned. 

Seriously, drafting d-men in rounds 3 and up are highly likely to be 4+ years away if they make it at all. A lot can change in that time so it's better to simply go with BAP.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Seriously, drafting d-men in rounds 3 and up are highly likely to be 4+ years away if they make it at all. A lot can change in that time so it's better to simply go with BAP.

Or maybe they're looking at free agents

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Nucklefuts said:

Anyone else feel like alvin reeeeeally likes swedes? 

I'm sure these guys he brought in are good, but it seems like if he doesn't have a clear top choice he goes with the swede. 

I touched on this a little already.   As a business, organizations have certain flaws/weakness's and strengths that they continually try and improve on.   All the CAN franchises, even the Alberta ones but less so (and we used to be right there with them during the peak Sedin era - can thank the NDP for this), which is very high tax rates.    That's a weakness that we can't avoid or improve on unless the voters in BC are lucky enough to get a right wing government that will roll the taxes from 53% back to Alberta's which is around 48.5%.   Vegas, Seattle, Dallas, Nashville, Tampa, Miami all have no state tax - 36.4%.     Miller has lost over 800k each year he's played in Vancouver on a sweetheart deal, imagine what he's going to lose on a 8.5 deal?    Those "team friendly deals" in TB, are far from it once you look through that lens.   Also why NMC are included!   Miller had one coming in which was voided after he was traded lol .   Sure he says all the right things - but let's be realistic - a Canadian team bloated with US players is going to have a tougher time with those guys once free agency comes into play.  

It does level out a little given Canadian players still are the majority ... but it's dwindling, and once you get a taste of what some of these other cities are like and the extra cash (that's a lot of money that could be used as a legacy for their families!) that comes with it.    Only the NY and CALI teams share similar tax hits that the Alberta teams do - the rest are in the low 40's.    Imagine if we could have a couple extra Millers and or Palat's?!!  Or a highest end free agent.   It's tough to compete with that so you need to find and use your other strengths when you can - and for us - it's the Swedish connection.   It should also be a bit of a Canadian attraction, but really isn't.   BC players only maybe. MTL and TO have the monopoly on those guys for good reasons.    Most players comes from ONT and Quebec, every small town treats hockey like a religion there.    Growing up in BC it's really not the same aside from the interior.   Live in a small town, less then 6k... we have3 rinks lol.   Victoria growing up?   Should of had 30 at least to compete - instead had well around 4. 

Point is we won't attract the cheap vets like TO and MTL can and do.   What we do have is a team that's led the NHL in quality Swedes historically, two just going into the HHOF that now are working in the organization.   And a Swede for a GM.    After CAN, US - its Sweden and Russia that come next as far as NHL roster players drafted.   The KHL keeps some talent away for sure - and the SHL is probably the best developmental league in the world, given it's the second best league now or a very close third (KHL had degraded, and the AHL isn't at all what it used to be with College and Euro routes, 30% of all drafted players now develop in Europe!). 

Im biased so this is tough to say - because i prefer my Canadian players more then anyone, including US ones, but have to admit this connection gives us an edge.    It also helps us attract UFAs from that country, despite the taxes etc.   OEL for better or worse, was only willing to waive to come to Vancouver.    Klingberg, not a fan of this idea, but will say i'd bet he'd be happy to sign in Vancouver if we had the space and need for him (which yes, no cap, of course sign the guy!).    Having a semi-monopoly on the Swedes, and an iron clad link to the SHL league(s), including former players that is the only reason we got EP in the first place (wasn't on our radar until Delorme got the call and was begged to come check him out)...

Every team needs skilled players.   And every team try's to draft ahead of their draft slot.   Hopefully what just occurred means we did get a top 4/6 pick in this draft like some experts felt the new Maki should go.   And that EP 2.0, turns out to be like a great second round pick instead of an 80th overall as well.   One thing we know about Swedes on our team historically, is they've made a massive impact in club history.   I really can't think of any other team that's got that same edge with Sweden.    Even without hockey, Vancouver is considered a sister/brother city with Stockholm. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Baggins said:

Let's hope he works out to be our next Edler.   It's hard to believe, but he was our last 3rd rounder that turned out great ... going back to 2004!!! Crazy.    This organization hasn't drafted great ever, aside from the Milford days.   We've had a couple excellent drafts but spotty from each GM aside from Milford.   That said he did draft during the best period of drafting history in the league as well so maybe it's relative.    EDM built a freaking dynasty on the backs of the same drafts.   Ugh.   Sure hope we get two players out of this one.    Every GM goes into the draft expecting one roster player out of it, and hoping for two.   The odds are around 1.3-1.5...so 3 players every two drafts on average.   On average 12.5% of 3rd rounders play 100 NHL games ... the entire 4-7 round the same.    We haven't had a good draft like that since 2004, Nonis first draft.   Schneider, Edler, Hansen and Brown.   Demko's draft could of been a huge success...too bad it wasn't (McAan, JV)...I truly hope that Allvin can do a better job.    But for sure it's a crapshoot.   12.5% of 3rd rounders play 100 NHL games or more.   Collectively 4-7 (9) is virtually the same odds as that.   About one roster player every 8 years.   Ugh.   So EP 2.0 ... well we sure are due aren't we?!!

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

Not having a pick in the second was really $&!#ty.

Thinking back on the Podz-Hogs duo and that was a sweet couple of picks right close to each other.

Some pretty decent players were still on the board at 47.

Lesson learned hopefully.

Edited by bad alice french
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Not having a pick in the second was really $&!#ty.

Thinking back on the Podz-Hogs duo and that was a sweet couple of picks right close to each other.

Some pretty decent players were still on the board at 47.

Lesson learned hopefully.

Yeah it would have been good if PA could have picked up a 2nd some how.  Sounds like he agrees with you on this as well.

With Podz and Hogz, that whole draft class from the top down is off to a sluggish start.  I really hope they're patient with the Hog.  Between Podz, Boeser, Klimovich and now Lekkerimaki that's a lot of guys who can really rip the puck.  2 on the team already and 2 high end picks that are showing promise.  3 of those guys are right hand shots which is an added bonus.  It's so difficult for teams to find guys like that.  Seems like we should be able to move one for a piece that we need when the time comes.

6 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Yeah it would have been good if PA could have picked up a 2nd some how.  Sounds like he agrees with you on this as well.

With Podz and Hogz, that whole draft class from the top down is off to a sluggish start.  I really hope they're patient with the Hog.  Between Podz, Boeser, Klimovich and now Lekkerimaki that's a lot of guys who can really rip the puck.  2 on the team already and 2 high end picks that are showing promise.  3 of those guys are right hand shots which is an added bonus.  It's so difficult for teams to find guys like that.  Seems like we should be able to move one for a piece that we need when the time comes.

Hoglander will be fine. He has the motor and energy and plenty of skill to make an impact. Really strong skater and can put the puck in the net. Good on the walls too. He’s young and he was thrown into the deep end pretty early on. I find him and Podkolzin still haven’t received the respect they deserve as part of the second wave of prospects that will be coming up during Petey’s prime.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

I touched on this a little already.   As a business, organizations have certain flaws/weakness's and strengths that they continually try and improve on.   All the CAN franchises, even the Alberta ones but less so (and we used to be right there with them during the peak Sedin era - can thank the NDP for this), which is very high tax rates.    That's a weakness that we can't avoid or improve on unless the voters in BC are lucky enough to get a right wing government that will roll the taxes from 53% back to Alberta's which is around 48.5%.   Vegas, Seattle, Dallas, Nashville, Tampa, Miami all have no state tax - 36.4%.     Miller has lost over 800k each year he's played in Vancouver on a sweetheart deal, imagine what he's going to lose on a 8.5 deal?    Those "team friendly deals" in TB, are far from it once you look through that lens.   Also why NMC are included!   Miller had one coming in which was voided after he was traded lol .   Sure he says all the right things - but let's be realistic - a Canadian team bloated with US players is going to have a tougher time with those guys once free agency comes into play.  

It does level out a little given Canadian players still are the majority ... but it's dwindling, and once you get a taste of what some of these other cities are like and the extra cash (that's a lot of money that could be used as a legacy for their families!) that comes with it.    Only the NY and CALI teams share similar tax hits that the Alberta teams do - the rest are in the low 40's.    Imagine if we could have a couple extra Millers and or Palat's?!!  Or a highest end free agent.   It's tough to compete with that so you need to find and use your other strengths when you can - and for us - it's the Swedish connection.   It should also be a bit of a Canadian attraction, but really isn't.   BC players only maybe. MTL and TO have the monopoly on those guys for good reasons.    Most players comes from ONT and Quebec, every small town treats hockey like a religion there.    Growing up in BC it's really not the same aside from the interior.   Live in a small town, less then 6k... we have3 rinks lol.   Victoria growing up?   Should of had 30 at least to compete - instead had well around 4. 

Point is we won't attract the cheap vets like TO and MTL can and do.   What we do have is a team that's led the NHL in quality Swedes historically, two just going into the HHOF that now are working in the organization.   And a Swede for a GM.    After CAN, US - its Sweden and Russia that come next as far as NHL roster players drafted.   The KHL keeps some talent away for sure - and the SHL is probably the best developmental league in the world, given it's the second best league now or a very close third (KHL had degraded, and the AHL isn't at all what it used to be with College and Euro routes, 30% of all drafted players now develop in Europe!). 

Im biased so this is tough to say - because i prefer my Canadian players more then anyone, including US ones, but have to admit this connection gives us an edge.    It also helps us attract UFAs from that country, despite the taxes etc.   OEL for better or worse, was only willing to waive to come to Vancouver.    Klingberg, not a fan of this idea, but will say i'd bet he'd be happy to sign in Vancouver if we had the space and need for him (which yes, no cap, of course sign the guy!).    Having a semi-monopoly on the Swedes, and an iron clad link to the SHL league(s), including former players that is the only reason we got EP in the first place (wasn't on our radar until Delorme got the call and was begged to come check him out)...

Every team needs skilled players.   And every team try's to draft ahead of their draft slot.   Hopefully what just occurred means we did get a top 4/6 pick in this draft like some experts felt the new Maki should go.   And that EP 2.0, turns out to be like a great second round pick instead of an 80th overall as well.   One thing we know about Swedes on our team historically, is they've made a massive impact in club history.   I really can't think of any other team that's got that same edge with Sweden.    Even without hockey, Vancouver is considered a sister/brother city with Stockholm. 

Gradin

18 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Hoglander will be fine. He has the motor and energy and plenty of skill to make an impact. Really strong skater and can put the puck in the net. Good on the walls too. He’s young and he was thrown into the deep end pretty early on. I find him and Podkolzin still haven’t received the respect they deserve as part of the second wave of prospects that will be coming up during Petey’s prime.

Hogs has to stop double clutching in the slot. Just shoot more. Needs more confidence for his shot. He always gets good looks in close.

26 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Hogs has to stop double clutching in the slot. Just shoot more. Needs more confidence for his shot. He always gets good looks in close.

Yes. Needs confidence. He's always in on the play though. I'm a bit of fan. Some bias here.

My one concern is how well he jives with Bruce and his staff. Seemed to be on the outs a bit before his injury.