Canucks 2022 Draft Was...  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the Canucks 2022 Draft

• EXCELLENT
    • GOOD
    • AVERAGE
    • SIMPLY BENNING AWFUL.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/16/2022 at 07:00 PM

11 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Or maybe they're looking at free agents

Why wouldn't they be looking at free agents? That wouldn't affect who they draft now at all as the prospects are years away from stepping on NHL ice. The reality is you don't know who will become available via trade or free agency over the course of 2, 3, or even 4 years. Players drafted in this draft will only effect who you keep and who you move years down the road. It doesn't address current need. If you're drafting top 3 or 5 (possibly 10 in a deep draft) you might address need over BPA but any picks after that you're better off going BAP. If you're correct on your BAP pick you have quality trades available down the road to address current need at that time. 

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

Why wouldn't they be looking at free agents? That wouldn't affect who they draft now at all as the prospects are years away from stepping on NHL ice. The reality is you don't know who will become available via trade or free agency over the course of 2, 3, or even 4 years. Players drafted in this draft will only effect who you keep and who you move years down the road. It doesn't address current need. If you're drafting top 3 or 5 (possibly 10 in a deep draft) you might address need over BPA but any picks after that you're better off going BAP. If you're correct on your BAP pick you have quality trades available down the road to address current need at that time. 

Let's not delude ourselves. The first round pick has a 60% of success in the NHL. ,below that 15-20% chnace

3 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Let's not delude ourselves. The first round pick has a 60% of success in the NHL. ,below that 15-20% chnace

Lekkerimaki will be one of the three best from this first round.  Lots of craperolla bustaroos at the top of this draft.  Slafkovsky the biggest.  Habs are stupid. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Baggins said:

You can never have enough goalies. Plus like any position they can be a hit or a miss. Goalies taken late in the draft are often years away. Two more years of junior, then years in the AHL. Is it important to have good goalies in the AHL? There will be call ups and you still need a good goalie for your AHL team. What if Spencer really proves himself and is gone in two years because he wants too much money? Thus if there's one you had an eye on and they are still available late in the draft it's a really good risk for down the road. Goalie is such a key position you really need a steady supply "just in case". And if you don't need them they become trade assets.

The very last part is what I think most people forget, the upside of BPA is once they get developed but un-needed as their redundancy makes them expendable into a trade asset at the real position of need.

Do we need another  top 6forward? Not really, D is a bigger need before if your going goalie out building wise. 

We're in that exact position at forward with a log jam at top 6 forward that it's a better gamble going the long way around like that then settling for lower tier D if the best ones were taken and they were (sort of)!by the time we hit 15.. I say sort of because I probably would have selected Bischel instead but maybe like the Canucks, I thought he'd be drafted around 25-30th position and we would have had to trade our 1st down or our 3rd up which would have added a headache so they just went ahead and picked Mak, who was a pretty good pick at 15th but like you pointed out, develop and trade could be the order of the day in his case especially. 

He could turn into a sweetner July 13th for all we know right? Thankfully we're not limited.

At the end of the day, I hope JR picks up a cpl of nhl'ers on D to upgrade and then pick more D depth next year and then I'd say we're done and see how it works out from there and react accordingly. 

Edited by iceman64
  • Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Lekkerimaki will be one of the three best from this first round.  Lots of craperolla bustaroos at the top of this draft.  Slafkovsky the biggest.  Habs are stupid. 

The experts have weighed in!

Are you having too much of a good thing? Click on the link for your  invitation to a free talk. - Counselling for behaviour change

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

Well I guess I've been think about top picks, as with OJ, I knew Tchuck and Sergachev were more pro ready. Some player like that if possible. 

2 hours ago, bad alice french said:

Hoglander will be fine. He has the motor and energy and plenty of skill to make an impact. Really strong skater and can put the puck in the net. Good on the walls too. He’s young and he was thrown into the deep end pretty early on. I find him and Podkolzin still haven’t received the respect they deserve as part of the second wave of prospects that will be coming up during Petey’s prime.

I disagree. Podz earned a great deal of respect over the course of the season. There was a dramatic difference in his play from the beginning of the season to the end. The first half I was meh. There was potential there but he didn't knock the socks off anybody. But the second half the defensive side of his game really improved and he started playing more aggressive at both ends. Hoglander on the other hand hasn't shown much improvement on the defensive side of his game and wasn't even particularly good offensively. Add in his size disadvantage and he could find himself expendable unless he has a really good showing next season. With more offensive weapons coming as early as next season he really needs to step up his game. Particularly on the defensive side because if there are better options for top six you really need to be defensively responsible to stick in the bottom six long term.

22 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I disagree. Podz earned a great deal of respect over the course of the season. There was a dramatic difference in his play from the beginning of the season to the end. The first half I was meh. There was potential there but he didn't knock the socks off anybody. But the second half the defensive side of his game really improved and he started playing more aggressive at both ends. Hoglander on the other hand hasn't shown much improvement on the defensive side of his game and wasn't even particularly good offensively. Add in his size disadvantage and he could find himself expendable unless he has a really good showing next season. With more offensive weapons coming as early as next season he really needs to step up his game. Particularly on the defensive side because if there are better options for top six you really need to be defensively responsible to stick in the bottom six long term.

Hmmm have to agree with most of that, unless he is willing to do the work to become really good at D and be a 3rd line scoring threat too but if I'm Hogs at this point I'm nervous.

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Who is deluding themselve? Are you talking 1st round as a whole? I did say top 3 to 5 and possibly top 10 in a deep draft in reference to chosing between BPA or need. I don't delude myself at all as no draft spot comes with a guarantee. My point is you may draft by need near the top, rather than BPA, where players are likely to make the jump sooner rather than later. Beyond those draft picks drafting by need rather than BPA makes no sense. The exception would be two players, who in your view, are equal in value and potential. In that case to might select need as they are equally BPA.

On 7/9/2022 at 2:14 PM, Hogs & Podz said:

It's a wait a see how these picks turn out.  Question...  How many here feel that Lekkerimaki will be the better pick versus Öhgren?  Personally, I would have gone with Öhgren, because I feel we still need more grit and overall high end 200 ft players in our middle to bottom 6.  Where as Lekkerimaki will be top 6 or bust (I don't think he'll bust though).  But value wise, is Lekky the better choice (league wide compared to for this team).  Obviously time will tell but at first glance between the two what say you?

With the shot lekki has, just that alone is something a lot of other picks don't have and only needs fine tuning by the looks of it but pretty sure he was picked to develop and trade, but not many have a shot like he does, probably better than 1/4 of the players in the NHL. That kid can pick a corner no problem and with gusto and not just his wrister either, saw him let loose a cpl of laser beam slappers too and he dangles like he was born doing it, you can tell he's having a lot of fun out there. 

I'm happy with this pick, he can skate well too. 

Can see him cracking a NHL roster in the future and doing it well. 

Definitely trade bait in the making.. nice to see, we need every angle covered and that seemed to me a step in the right direction but still kinda sad we didn't get Bischel though. Would have been happier with that but whatever works right? 

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Hmmm have to agree with most of that, unless he is willing to do the work to become really good at D and be a 3rd line scoring threat too but if I'm Hogs at this point I'm nervous.

It doesn't really matter if he "wants" to be a responsible third line scoring threat. The real question is: does he want to play for a good team? Would you rather be 2nd line on a bad team or 3rd line on a good team? Or even second line on a good team or second line on a bad team? Fans often overlook the defensive side of the game and focus only on points. Well, your not much help if you score 20 goals but give up 40. Truly high end offensive players often get a bit of a break from their coaches. If you're not high end offensively you had best be better than ok defensively. Hogs is fun to watch without a doubt. But, and it's a big but, he needs to improve his offense, and in particular his defensive play, if he wants to stick with a good team in the top six. I doubt he will become a high end producer. That means he really needs to improve on the defensive side. The reason Pearson is valuable is he provides decent offence and is solid defensively. How often is Pearson on the ice in the last two minutes with a one goal lead? That's where Pearson's value is. I'd take a 35 point Peasron over a 35 point Hoglander any time, any day, regardless of how much fun Hoglander is to watch. The Keystone Cops were fun to watch but I wouldn't want them protecting my community. (really showing my age there :lol:)

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

With the shot lekki has, just that alone is something a lot of other picks don't have and only needs fine tuning by the looks of it but pretty sure he was picked to develop and trade, but not many have a shot like he does, probably better than 1/4 of the players in the NHL. That kid can pick a corner no problem and with gusto and not just his wrister either, saw him let loose a cpl of laser beam slappers too and he dangles like he was born doing it, you can tell he's having a lot of fun out there. 

I'm happy with this pick, he can skate well too. 

Can see him cracking a NHL roster in the future and doing it well. 

Definitely trade bait in the making.. nice to see, we need every angle covered and that seemed to me a step in the right direction but still kinda sad we didn't get Bischel though. Would have been happier with that but whatever works right? 

I think it was a sure fire safe pick... High chance of becoming a top 6 player on any team.  But as you wanted Bischel and I wanted Öhgren... Not because they were the most skilled or bpa but because they would be a better fit for need on this team right?   

Interesting thought that they may choose to develop and trade.  A possibility.  Another one, end of Boeser's contract (or last year) that they trade him and plug in Lekkerimaki in his place.  Time will tell, regardless,  at this time, he does appear to be the bpa at 15.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Baggins said:

Yes, many areas still need improvement. He's young. Be patient.

Average and only barely because they took the bpa at 15 oa.

Other than that the picks were a bit meh and they were unable to get any additional picks which was a failure.

Also more LHD??? 

Makki reminds me of Pasta and I can see him panning out to a top 5 pick in a redraft down the road. He controls the ice as a winger and the play drives through him. He will be a force on the PP in the Stamkos position who he stated is his favourite player after Pettersson. 

On 7/10/2022 at 5:34 PM, bad alice french said:

Yes, many areas still need improvement. He's young. Be patient.

I always preach patience with young players. But I'm also a realist. As depth builds, young players may find themselves trade pieces because others have moved ahead of them. If you're not the best option for top six, and not good enough defensively for the bottom six, what is highly likely to happen? This is where Hogs is currently sitting. It's why I said he really needs to show improvement this coming season - particularly in his defensive game. Podz has already moved ahead of him imo. There are others in this years camp that could jump ahead of him just as he jumped ahead of Virtanen. Hogs could find himself in the AHL or even expendable as part of a trade. There's no preasure to trade him because he can be sent to the AHL. But if a little more is needed to complete a trade to address a need he could find himself that being the little more.

• Upvote 1

On 7/10/2022 at 3:40 PM, Locke Lamora said:

Homers are gonna homer. 

Although you have to wonder how Alf knows for sure they'll bust, maybe he bought a crystal ball from a flea market and it actually works? 

Hope he sends it to JR when he's done with it..

This is Vancouver, we need all the help we can get! ;)

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Although you have to wonder how Alf knows for sure they'll bust, maybe he bought a crystal ball from a flea market and it actually works? 

Hope he sends it to JR when he's done with it..

This is Vancouver, we need all the help we can get! ;)

Works good, especially in combination with a couple empty bottles. :frantic:

spacer.png