Canucks 2022 Draft Was...  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the Canucks 2022 Draft

• EXCELLENT
    • GOOD
    • AVERAGE
    • SIMPLY BENNING AWFUL.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/16/2022 at 07:00 PM

On 7/8/2022 at 12:55 PM, Alflives said:

If the guy we took at 15 becomes the key core piece I expect, then it’s a great draft.  

Nah you need 3 impact NHL players from a draft class to be actually considered truly great or even good.

Look at Boeser in 2015, he was a good pick but the rest of that class was ass.

Ironically the Canucks best draft classes seem to come a decade apart. 2004 was a good class they got Edler, Hansen and Schneider out of that one.

Then in 2014 Virtanen was a huge bust but Jared McCann has turned into a quality NHL middle six regular even though it's not on the Canucks.

Thatcher Demko is a top 10 goalie in the NHL.

Meanwhile Gustav Forsling is looking great as a quality d man in Florida.

If the pattern continues next year's 2023 draft class will be better and in 2024 should be the Canucks best draft since Benning's first back in 2014.

21 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Nah you need 3 impact NHL players from a draft class to be actually considered truly great or even good.

Look at Boeser in 2015, he was a good pick but the rest of that class was ass.

Ironically the Canucks best draft classes seem to come a decade apart. 2004 was a good class they got Edler, Hansen and Schneider out of that one.

Then in 2014 Virtanen was a huge bust but Jared McCann has turned into a quality NHL middle six regular even though it's not on the Canucks.

Thatcher Demko is a top 10 goalie in the NHL.

Meanwhile Gustav Forsling is looking great as a quality d man in Florida.

If the pattern continues next year's 2023 draft class will be better and in 2024 should be the Canucks best draft since Benning's first back in 2014.

In other circumstances I'd agree with you but in our case when we just need one to make it quickly. 

However from what I saw, they were quality picks who definitely have a chance with the right development. 

It would be weird as hell seeing this team get to keep all our picks for the next cpl of drafts and actually have a lot of competing for roster spots due to a lot of depth. 

That would be something wouldn't it?

I think it would take quite awhile for the shock to wear off and not ask myself am I dreaming? 

Could this actually be true?

Am I holding my breath for that? F no!!! 

If only... 

25 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

In other circumstances I'd agree with you but in our case when we just need one to make it quickly. 

However from what I saw, they were quality picks who definitely have a chance with the right development. 

It would be weird as hell seeing this team get to keep all our picks for the next cpl of drafts and actually have a lot of competing for roster spots due to a lot of depth. 

That would be something wouldn't it?

I think it would take quite awhile for the shock to wear off and not ask myself am I dreaming? 

Could this actually be true?

Am I holding my breath for that? F no!!! 

If only... 

If the Canucks want guys who will be NHL ready sooner than later they have to pick guys who have some size and are more physically mature at 18.

Have to have good speed and good hockey IQ and be decent enough defensively to not be a liability. Bonus points if they already play okay against men in a top league in Europe.

It would also help a ton if the Canucks picked in the top 10 consistently as those are the guys expected to be NHL ready 2 years after getting drafted.

22 hours ago, Canucks-12 said:

All picks seem pretty solid to me. I don’t get the negatively.

All people want is RD RD RD. Gotta go with BPA, and that’s what the Canucks did according to their list. 

This is the CDC remember? Negativity is the flavour of the day... Pick a whipping boy(s) and let it rip! 

It's dirty laundry day! everyday... 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

If the Canucks want guys who will be NHL ready sooner than later they have to pick guys who have some size and are more physically mature at 18.

Have to have good speed and good hockey IQ and be decent enough defensively to not be a liability. Bonus points if they already play okay against men in a top league in Europe.

It would also help a ton if the Canucks picked in the top 10 consistently as those are the guys expected to be NHL ready 2 years after getting drafted.

That's why I'm thinking JT will be traded for more than picks. I'm pretty sure JR will be after developed well performing younger guys but like you said and I've said a zillion times, we need to get bigger! How? I really don't care as long as it happens... 

2 hours ago, iceman64 said:

That's why I'm thinking JT will be traded for more than picks. I'm pretty sure JR will be after developed well performing younger guys but like you said and I've said a zillion times, we need to get bigger! How? I really don't care as long as it happens... 

Mason Marchment. 6’4 and 210 lbs who hits and can score. Would look great as our 3rd line left wing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Schmautzie said:

Mason Marchment. 6’4 and 210 lbs who hits and can score. Would look great as our 3rd line left wing.

What's his cap hit?

Geez if he's talented enough to score and probably could move to second or first in a pinch.

Like Carter with the twins. 

Our twins being Petey and Brock, and whoever else you put on that list, pure goal scorers who would be targets in the playoffs next year. 

We could use 2 of them on 3'rd line if them at all possible and a another 1-2 on 4th and even depth D.

I think I'd have a heart attack if that came to be... 

Edited by iceman64

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

What's his cap hit?

Geez if he's talented enough to score and probably could move to second or first in a pinch.

Like Carter with the twins. 

Our twins being Petey and Brock, and whoever else you put on that list, pure goal scorers who would be targets in the playoffs next year. 

We could use 2 of them on 3'rd line if them at all possible and a another 1-2 on 4th and even depth D.

I think I'd have a heart attack if that came to be... 

He’s a UFA so his cap hit will be whatever a team is willing to pay him. The Evolving Hockey website estimates some team will give him three years at 2.4 m/per. They regard him as potentially one of the best bargain free agents out there.

11 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

He’s a UFA so his cap hit will be whatever a team is willing to pay him. The Evolving Hockey website estimates some team will give him three years at 2.4 m/per. They regard him as potentially one of the best bargain free agents out there.

I meant what was he being paid last year, yeah usually a raise is in order if a player's stock hasn't taken a nose dive for whatever reason but will have a look... 

"Usually" medium/bottom tiered players get smaller raises than the big names but would love to pick him up at a decent cap.

I like it that we're giving Van de Beast a shot though, 6'7 and 240. 

Smart, tough, and HUGE! 

Hope we at least get him to Abby worst case scenario, then to the big show. 

Edit: $&!#E, Canes just signed M.M. 

Oh well...

Edited by iceman64