The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) MIN Nick Deslauriers being linked to EDM

RWJC

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

We don't have a very good track record of selling assets, it's irritating. You can't always keep everyone. Lot of folks didn't like the price we got for Motte, but I found the willingness to move him out encouraging. Hopefully we see more of that.

I still do not like that trade.

We did not have to trade Motte and missing him in our attempt to get into the playoffs may have made the difference.

And the return was squat imo; a 3rd or 4th was it?  And not for a couple years.

Missed a tremendous chance to blood our youth in the playoffs.

I sure don't hold that up as a sign of good management even though I really like the new J-Team.

Just now, Goal:thecup said:

We did not have to trade Motte and missing him in our attempt to get into the playoffs may have made the difference.

I sure don't hold that up as a sign of good management even though I really like the new J-Team.

And you don't have to, but if management had an idea of what he wanted in an extension and it didn't line up with what they were willing to pay I have no issue with cutting bait.

You don't build a winning organization by caving to salary demands or term demands that don't fit.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

And you don't have to, but if management had an idea of what he wanted in an extension and it didn't line up with what they were willing to pay I have no issue with cutting bait.

You don't build a winning organization by caving to salary demands or term demands that don't fit.

We didn't have to re-sign him either.  That is a non-issue.

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Keumper is apparently looking to sign with WSH so I imagine EDM will probably end up with Campbell. On a personal level, hope he can handle the pressure. As a rival fan, I hope he bombs. 

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Makes perect sense to me...he bring the same if not more grit than Kassian for probably half the cap hit while being a bit older yes. Coiltown is going to get Kuemper or Campbell in goal so they might finally not have to win every game by scoring 5g in the playoffs, that should make McDavid/Draisatl happy not having to carry the whole team on there back.

If you're the Oilers, who would you rather? Kuemper or Campbell?

I'd go with Kuemper.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

No offense, but as much as I loved Motte on our roster, in no way was he the difference in our making the playoffs, imho. 

That is solely based on where the club started last season and the hole that was dug until changes were made. 

very hard to come back from that kind of deficit. All credit given to the boys for coming back and getting as close as they did. 

and yeah, if Motte wanted to stay, he would have found a number that worked for an extension. I think he felt that he could play up the roster a bit more, but he was actually ideal as a 4th line role player. And those 4th liners unfortunately should have a cap allocation limit if we’re going to squeeze out every single dollar in hopes of improving this club.

Edited by RWJC

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

No offense, but as much as I loved Motte on our roster, in no way was he the difference in our making the playoffs, imho. 

That is solely based on where the club started last season and the hole that was dug until changes were made. 

very hard to come back from that kind of deficit. All credit given to the boys for coming back and getting as close as they did. 

and yeah, if Motte wanted to stay, he would have found a number that worked for an extension. I think he felt that he could play up the roster a bit more, but he was actually ideal as a 4th line role player. And those 4th liners unfortunately should have a cap allocation limit if we’re going to squeeze out every single dollar in hopes of improving this club.

No offense taken; I know a lot of posters like the trade.

I do not agree that it did not make a difference.

Motte was huge part of the successes we had in the late season dash under Bruce.

He was ripped out of an extremely successful checking line.

For no good reason at all.

You are not obligated to re-sign a player that is asking too much.

And the chance that 3rd/4th round pick 2 years out ever amounts to anything at all is miniscule.

It was exactly the wrong thing to do, imo oc.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Goal:thecup said:

No offense taken; I know a lot of posters like the trade.

I do not agree that it did not make a difference.

Motte was huge part of the successes we had in the late season dash under Bruce.

He was ripped out of an extremely successful checking line.

For no good reason at all.

You are not obligated to re-sign a player that is asking too much.

And the chance that 3rd/4th round pick 2 years out ever amounts to anything at all is miniscule.

It was exactly the wrong thing to do, imo oc.

Fair enough. And you’re def right about him and that 4th line stepping up.

The only thing I did like about the deal was seeing us finally retain an asset for a player who stood a good chance of walking at end of season. Even if the pick amounts to nothing we still got a return. That’s already an improvement on Benning’s approach to impending free agents.

It’s also a benefit to Motte. He got a chance at a cup, showed up for the Rags and will likely get a nice raise from them because of it. He’ll likely be in the playoffs again this coming season too, something that is still a question mark with our club. 

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Fair enough. And you’re def right about him and that 4th line stepping up.

The only thing I did like about the deal was seeing us finally retain an asset for a player who stood a good chance of walking at end of season. Even if the pick amounts to nothing we still got a return. That’s already an improvement on Benning’s approach to impending free agents.

It’s also a benefit to Motte. He got a chance at a cup, showed up for the Rags and will likely get a nice raise from them because of it. He’ll likely be in the playoffs again this coming season too, something that is still a question mark with our club. 

I understand your position, but still do not agree.

If we had made the playoffs, that in itself is worth more than that pick.

Motte would have gained much more from his strong playoff performance by doing it with the team he had worked so hard for.

Experience and success in the playoffs would have benefited the team and management a great deal and rewarded Bruce for his great work turning the team around.

Miller Petey and Bo would have led the way improving and learning how to succeed in the playoffs.

And, I don't want to hear that old saw about 'just making the playoffs and losing in the first round' being of no value; that is flat out BS.

Management basically gave up before we were mathematically out of it and it does not look good on them.

Also, the Goal is To Win The Stanley Cup, not to accumulate late round draft picks 2 years out.

You cannot win it unless you're in it.

You have to try to win all the time; that is the only way to develop the right stuff.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

We didn't have to re-sign him either.  That is a non-issue.

We didn't, but I don't have an issue with moving out pending UFA's

Maybe he's the difference is our making it, maybe he's not 

We can agree to disagree, but I'm content with getting an asset if management felt they weren't going to retain him while being a team that wasn't a playoff lock

Edmonton may want him but does he want to go to Edmonton?

Surely at that price lots of teams will have interest.

Would love to see our left side look like:

Miller

Kuzmenko

Marchment

Deslauriers

Definitely upgrades our size and sandpaper.

• Cheers 1

If they lose Kassian and Kane, they need some protection for McDavid. Deslauriers is one of the big big tough guys left in the league. Personally I don't want him - we need bottom 6 players with size who can also contribute a bit more offence or kill penalties well (I wouldn't mind Lazar for 1M).

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

If they lose Kassian and Kane, they need some protection for McDavid. Deslauriers is one of the big big tough guys left in the league. Personally I don't want him - we need bottom 6 players with size who can also contribute a bit more offence or kill penalties well (I wouldn't mind Lazar for 1M).

Having pkers would be nice but I’d just be happy with a line that gets in hard on the forecheck, crashes and bangs, and wears down the opposition. One that can go against any line with their speed and physical play.

It’s been so long since we had a big heavy fourth line. That should be the goal first and foremost IMO.

• Upvote 1

They just drafted Reid Schaefer too. If they can get Schaefer NHL ready and snag deslaurier I'd be genuinely afraid of them.

More so if they can swing pool party for John gibson

Edited by Warhippy

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Mike DiPietro for Philip Broberg? 

MDP, Highmore, Lammiko are all still unsigned RFAs that have to be qualified by Tuesday. Wouldn’t surprise me to see MDP traded by then. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

They just drafted Reid Schaefer too. If they can get Schaefer NHL ready and snag deslaurier I'd be genuinely afraid of them.

More so if they can swing pool party for John gibson

Gibson isn’t interested in playing in Canada.