The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) CHI not tendering RFA Kubalik

RWJC

16 minutes ago, Pears said:

Not speaking up when he knew about what was happening to Kyle Beach doesn’t necessarily scream captain material to me. 

He even defended Bowman after the report became public.  Toews is an absolute scumbag and should have been suspended for the rest of the season at minimum.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Anyone finding this worrying that a lot of young players break into the league on fire, then fizzle out in a few seasons?

Anyone know why this is the case?

In Kubalik's case, his 19.1 shooting % from his rookie season, which allowed him to score 30 goals wasn't really sustainable. His point production in year two was actually pretty similar, he just had more assists and fewer goals.

In general, I would say teams take notice of of these star young players after a while and figure out how to play against them better to neutralize them. It's up to that young player to make the necessary adjustments to take that next step to overcome the tighter checking.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Prime Toews was sneaky good current Toews, just a solid 2nd liner at best. 

I expect Toews to be highly sought after when his contract expires. I think at this stage being one of the best 3rd line centers isn't out of the question. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

Toews has got to be one of the more overrated players of the last 10-15 year. 

Are you young Dizzle?  Back in the day Toews was the kind of guy who would carry a team on his back.  VG leader.  Took the Hawks to 3 cups.  Heart and soul guy.

22 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Are you young Dizzle?  Back in the day Toews was the kind of guy who would carry a team on his back.  VG leader.  Took the Hawks to 3 cups.  Heart and soul guy.

Nope, I watched Toews since he came into the league. Very clutch player in his prime BUT, not a guy who deserved the type of fanfare he’s gotten through his career in hindsight imho. 

57 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I agree with Dizzle.  He was a very good player but super overrated at the time, he won cups with amazing teams.  I remember that top 100 team they put together a few years ago, they had Toews on it but Malkin not, I was rattled.  Let's see if Toews can come back from a dreadful season last year

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Anyone finding this worrying that a lot of young players break into the league on fire, then fizzle out in a few seasons?

Anyone know why this is the case?

I think it’s a combination of things.

1. kids playing I. The league too soon before they are physically ready. Bodies get hurt early. Lose development time less games played.

2. it’s such a hard league to be an elite offensive producer year in year out. Kids are fresh, teams don’t have tape on their habits, how to defend etc. the best players continue to grow and improve. 

3. to be a star you need insane work ethic on top of hours and hours of skill work. Some of these kids are getting bigger bags early. Prime years are calculated different. Contracts are based on future production more now than prove it and then get paid. I think some of these kids are getting ahead of themselves with the money early and early success that when they hit adversity they aren’t ready to push through.

4. all players go through adversity. Sedins did. They just didn’t have massive expectations and salaries when you g and figuring it out right away like kids today have. Petey isn’t old at all and his first real struggle and city PANICKED. He worked his way through it and finished the year very strong. He’s a special player ofc but a lesser player maybe never figures it out. Or works their way out of it.

these are my ideas why. But bottom lines players are people and the margins of being a pro player are razor thin. It’s a hard league to make and stay in. 

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

Nope, I watched Toews since he came into the league. Very clutch player in his prime BUT, not a guy who deserved the type of fanfare he’s gotten through his career in hindsight imho. 

I think he did but it’s very clear where his play dropped off a cliff and he had medical issues 

and as for the blind eye to beach situation I don’t know. I think every single person there could have done better to some extent. 

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

Toews has got to be one of the more overrated players of the last 10-15 year. 

I cant stand then Hawks either, but Youve got to be out of your mind.

Toews was one of the most complete players this game has seen over the past 15 yrs.

• Vintage 1