The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NYI ~ VAN .....Hang onto you socks! (Proposal)

OK....just thinking outside the box............maybe too far! LOL

Vancouver trades

JT Miller, and OEL (1 million retained)

New York trades

Ryan Pulock, and JG Pageau

This gives the Islanders a ton more Offense, and someone to play with Dobson, it also puts Romanov with Mayfield, which is a pretty decent top 4 defense. Why do the Islander's do this? The Islanders are totally hurting on offense, and need that push both Miller and OEL  would give them. It will push the Islander's cap up, so there may have to be a cap retention on OEL of a million.

This puts OEL's salary in the same area as Poluck's and as the Islander's were attempting to get Miller at the draft, then it is reasonable that with Polock's and OEL's contracts being relatively the same, the trade could go ahead.

For the Canucks, this gives them a "Rock" to play alongside Hughes. Plain and simple, this is a incredible move if Alvin can pull it off. Pageau is a decent center, and would slide into the 3rd line center roll with ease. His plus minus is very decent, and would not be a concern. I imagine a Pageau/Garland combo would be a pain in the a$$ for teams to play against.

The question I am asking myself is, can Rathbone/Dermott pull off a 2nd pairing platooning of the LHD side? * Note on that question.....we could always move a winger to fill in that spot if needed, or some combo, to firm it up, but at least we fill in the who plays with Quinn spot.

OK...................flame away!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

OK....just thinking outside the box............maybe too far! LOL

Vancouver trades

JT Miller, and OEL (1 million retained)

New York trades

Ryan Pulock, and JG Pageau

This gives the Islanders a ton more Offense, and someone to play with Dobson, it also puts Romanov with Mayfield, which is a pretty decent top 4 defense. Why do the Islander's do this? The Islanders are totally hurting on offense, and need that push both Miller and OEL  would give them. It will push the Islander's cap up, so there may have to be a cap retention on OEL of a million.

This puts OEL's salary in the same area as Poluck's and as the Islander's were attempting to get Miller at the draft, then it is reasonable that with Polock's and OEL's contracts being relatively the same, the trade could go ahead.

For the Canucks, this gives them a "Rock" to play alongside Hughes. Plain and simple, this is a incredible move if Alvin can pull it off. Pageau is a decent center, and would slide into the 3rd line center roll with ease. His plus minus is very decent, and would not be a concern. I imagine a Pageau/Garland combo would be a pain in the a$$ for teams to play against.

The question I am asking myself is, can Rathbone/Dermott pull off a 2nd pairing platooning of the LHD side? * Note on that question.....we could always move a winger to fill in that spot if needed, or some combo, to firm it up, but at least we fill in the who plays with Quinn spot.

OK...................flame away!

You're asking yourself the wrong question, Jan. You should be asking "will OEL waive his NMC to play for the Islanders when he has repeatedly said he only wants to play in Vancouver or Boston"?

Edited by Rick Blight
  • Cheers 3

The Islanders just traded for Alexander Romanov who will be in their top 4 along with Adam Pelech, Ryan Pulock and Noah Dobson.  Mayfield will be on the 3rd pairing, so their defence is stacked right now.  Why would they want OEL when they have Pelech and Romanov on the left side?  Mayfield will be a UFA next year so he is not in their long term plans.

So we trade Miller & OEL and end up not really getting much younger, faster, or more skilled?  Sounds like the quintessential CDC proposal.  BTW, that Pulock contract makes OEL's not sting as much. 

22 hours ago, Fanuck said:

So we trade Miller & OEL and end up not really getting much younger, faster, or more skilled?  Sounds like the quintessential CDC proposal.  BTW, that Pulock contract makes OEL's not sting as much. 

My though on this trade is that you hugely upgrade your RHD, as Pulock is a horse, and would be perfect for Hughes.....

Pageau is no where Miller, but is a perfect 3rd line center, which allows us to trade a winger for a less expensive defensman. 

IMO, you start fixing the big problems first. which is a partner for Hughes, then you fill in the rest. Aka moving Myers and building a 2nd, less costly pairing.

So, although Pulock and Pageau are not young, you have to look at the trade in it's entirety.............  

Aka....you get a signed Pulock for 4 more years of certainty, and beyond. Pageau is also a great stop gap, and allows Alvin to have more time.................

"IF you can move Myers and replace with Zadorov (sp?), then move Rathbone into that 2nd pairing, you get 2 pretty good, balanced pairings, and also a 2 million 

cap savings.

It is still a prize in the making, but much better balance for the next moves....................

Kuzmenko.....................Pettersson......................Podkolzin

Pearson............................Horvat.........................Boeser

Hoglander........................Pageau........................Garland

Dickenson.....................Lammikko.......................Highmore/Lockwood

Hughes...................Pulock

Rathbone................Zadorov

Dermott...................Schenn

Burroughs...............Poolman

Demko

Martin

Ultimately, I would like to see some size moved onto the LHD side, but I still think this is a very formable lineup............with minimal moves

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

My though on this trade is that you hugely upgrade your RHD, as Pulock is a horse, and would be perfect for Hughes.....

Pageau is no where Miller, but is a perfect 3rd line center, which allows us to trade a winger for a less expensive defensman. 

IMO, you start fixing the big problems first. which is a partner for Hughes, then you fill in the rest. Aka moving Myers and building a 2nd, less costly pairing.

So, although Pulock and Pageau are not young, you have to look at the trade in it's entirety.............  

Aka....you get a signed Pulock for 4 more years of certainty, and beyond. Pageau is also a great stop gap, and allows Alvin to have more time.................

"IF you can move Myers and replace with Zadorov (sp?), then move Rathbone into that 2nd pairing, you get 2 pretty good, balanced pairings, and also a 2 million 

cap savings.

It is still a prize in the making, but much better balance for the next moves....................

Kuzmenko.....................Pettersson......................Podkolzin

Pearson............................Horvat.........................Boeser

Hoglander........................Pageau........................Garland

Dickenson.....................Lammikko.......................Highmore/Lockwood

Hughes...................Pulock

Rathbone................Zadorov

Dermott...................Schenn

Burroughs...............Poolman

Demko

Martin

Ultimately, I would like to see some size moved onto the LHD side, but I still think this is a very formable lineup............with minimal moves

I hear you,  it's still a no for me. 

If we can't get a RHD via a Miller trade, our next priority is shedding cap and one could argue that shedding cap is equally as important as trading for a RHD because with enough cap room, there's plenty of ways to acquire a RHD.

If there was a deal as rumored at the draft between these two teams and involving JT Miller, I would definitely hope that Allvin would circle back to revisit this.
On paper these two guys definitely meet needs (defensive 3rd C in Pageau, big minute RHD in Pulock which would be the kind of ask included for Miller).
I do have a couple of concerns though, 1) being Pulock's injury history (out of his 5 full seasons in the league, he's only had 1 full, 82 game season; the rest he's missed around 15-20 games); 2) he's currently 27 and is signed until 2029-30, and while he has a desirable skillset now, I wonder how healthy he would stay given the physical style he plays; 3) if we load up Hughes and Pulock, the rest of the defense starts looking suspect with OEL gone, so (if Rathbone shows he's ready for prime time) I would want to run Hughes - Schenn (they work) and Rathbone - Pulock so we can have two pairings with a viable top-pair guy instead of exposing the lower pairing guys.

I don't really have much issue with the rest of the trade (Pageau's got several more years and fits a need, OEL has been considered overpriced since his arrival but if they intend to keep Romanov as a 3rd pair guy then I would gladly ship him out; optimally Miller does get more youthful assets back, but I think this isn't the worst, considering Allvin admitted the market for JT wasn't where he thought it was).

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

If there was a deal as rumored at the draft between these two teams and involving JT Miller, I would definitely hope that Allvin would circle back to revisit this.
On paper these two guys definitely meet needs (defensive 3rd C in Pageau, big minute RHD in Pulock which would be the kind of ask included for Miller).
I do have a couple of concerns though, 1) being Pulock's injury history (out of his 5 full seasons in the league, he's only had 1 full, 82 game season; the rest he's missed around 15-20 games); 2) he's currently 27 and is signed until 2029-30, and while he has a desirable skillset now, I wonder how healthy he would stay given the physical style he plays; 3) if we load up Hughes and Pulock, the rest of the defense starts looking suspect with OEL gone, so (if Rathbone shows he's ready for prime time) I would want to run Hughes - Schenn (they work) and Rathbone - Pulock so we can have two pairings with a viable top-pair guy instead of exposing the lower pairing guys.

I don't really have much issue with the rest of the trade (Pageau's got several more years and fits a need, OEL has been considered overpriced since his arrival but if they intend to keep Romanov as a 3rd pair guy then I would gladly ship him out; optimally Miller does get more youthful assets back, but I think this isn't the worst, considering Allvin admitted the market for JT wasn't where he thought it was).

Just on the injury comment, which I think it is fair to a point...............

You know we had this other guy named Tanev once, and we did not think he could stay healthy...........well history has changed that opinion...........

Just saying

5 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Just on the injury comment, which I think it is fair to a point...............

You know we had this other guy named Tanev once, and we did not think he could stay healthy...........well history has changed that opinion...

Just saying

One anecdotal exception doesn't make the rule though.
I raise you Pavel Bure, Peter Forsberg, Cam Neely, Eric Lindros, Chris Pronger, Marian Gaborik, Marc Savard... all skilled guys battling in the trenches who couldn't evade the injury bug/ wear and tear and the accompanying regression https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1031134-15-most-fragile-players-in-nhl-history 

11 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

One anecdotal exception doesn't make the rule though.
I raise you Pavel Bure, Peter Forsberg, Cam Neely, Eric Lindros, Chris Pronger, Marian Gaborik, Marc Savard... all skilled guys battling in the trenches who couldn't evade the injury bug/ wear and tear and the accompanying regression https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1031134-15-most-fragile-players-in-nhl-history 

Geez.....sounds like a bunch of winners to me!

20 hours ago, hammertime said:

I like it Jan count me in. I think you have interesting targets. I'm not super excited with our LD and LW but thats a better problem to have than our current situation.

Well, it just looked like Alvin has signed another LW in Mikheyev, so there is one less problem for you, but yes, this is what happens when  you come out of a rebuild too early......................aka lack of depth..........fix one thing, and another one appears where you just moved a guy.............but seriously, replace a 2nd pairing Dman is easier than replacing a 1st pairing Dman. And who really knows at this point maybe Rathbone comes in and handles it just fine.............time will tell!

11 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Well, it just looked like Alvin has signed another LW in Mikheyev, so there is one less problem for you, but yes, this is what happens when  you come out of a rebuild too early......................aka lack of depth..........fix one thing, and another one appears where you just moved a guy.............but seriously, replace a 2nd pairing Dman is easier than replacing a 1st pairing Dman. And who really knows at this point maybe Rathbone comes in and handles it just fine.............time will tell!

moving Hughes to the right side would solve some problems for us. 

21 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I'm a big Rathbone fan and I got pretty pissy last year about him not getting a 2nd chance that being said he isn't pushing OEL down the lineup. So as much a I dig the Bone! To get a pk shut down guy for your 3rd pair would be a higher priority for me. 

I know you moved OEL in your proposal maybe Peeke/Gavrikov become available?

Edited by hammertime
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I'm a big Rathbone fan and I got pretty pissy last year about him not getting a 2nd chance that being said he isn't pushing OEL down the lineup. So as much a I dig the Bone! To get a pk shut down guy for your 3rd pair would be a higher priority for me. 

I know you moved OEL in your proposal maybe Peeke/Gavrikov become available?

LOL..............things you should not say on a forum!