The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ilya Samsonov set to become free agent after Capitals don't issue qualifying offer

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I’d sign him.

Would be a good reclamation project for Clark. And a good chance for Samsonov to get his career back on track.

Martin was good for us but can he really handle 20+ games? That’s what we’re gonna need in order to keep Demko fresh.

Can’t see management going after another goalie.. could be wrong..

Just now, Johnny Torts said:

No reason to not give Martin the opportunity to back up Demko. 

There is if you can sign one that gives you a better chance to win at a reasonable price.

The schedule did not get any easier next season. We need a reliable backup that can play 20-25 games. That’s a lot to ask from a guy that’s only played 9 NHL game.

Samsonov played 44 regular season games last season and has played almost 100 career games. Not to mention at only 25 there’s no reason to believe that Clark couldn’t help him reach another level.

All about icing the best team. No more touchy freely we owe this player this and that player that.

12 minutes ago, dontaylorforprez said:

Can’t see management going after another goalie.. could be wrong..

With the schedule we have the games the backup plays will be crucial. It was literally the difference of not making the playoff last season.

Martin had a very small sample size to draw from. Do we believe he can get us 10-15 wins next season? That might be too big of an ask.

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

With the schedule we have the games the backup plays will be crucial. It was literally the difference of not making the playoff last season.

Martin had a very small sample size to draw from. Do we believe he can get us 10-15 wins next season? That might be too big of an ask.

I agree. I think prior management jumped the gun when they signed him to a one way contract. I think I remember 6 games he played last season. He did play well but like you said, far too small a sample size. But would Samsonov be ok being a 1b? I’d imagine he’d want around 2schmill per. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, dontaylorforprez said:

I agree. I think prior management jumped the gun when they signed him to a one way contract. I think I remember 6 games he played last season. He did play well but like you said, far too small a sample size. But would Samsonov be ok being a 1b? I’d imagine he’d want around 2schmill per. 

He’s a backup at this point. I don’t see anyone offering him anything other than a 1B position.

The selling point the Canucks have is Clark. Sign a cheaper one year deal here an boost your value type of thing.

At 2 mil I think it’s worth it to spend that extra mil considering how crucial those games the backup plays will be.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I’d sign him.

Would be a good reclamation project for Clark. And a good chance for Samsonov to get his career back on track.

Martin was good for us but can he really handle 20+ games? That’s what we’re gonna need in order to keep Demko fresh.

He's certainly more proven than Martin, who could be a depth tender. 

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He's certainly more proven than Martin, who could be a depth tender. 

Great story last season but can it continue or was that just lightning in a bottle?

Thats a big gamble if they wanna make the playoffs. It’s much harder to find a good backup mid-season if Martin can’t handle the workload.

I dunno, I hope they at least look into it. It’s a position that will play a pivotal role for us next season.

Edited by DeNiro

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Great story last season but can it continue or was that just lightning in a bottle?

Thats a big gamble if they wanna make the playoffs. It’s much harder to find a good backup mid-season if Martin can’t handle the workload.

I dunno, I hope they at least look into it. It’s a position that will play a pivotal role for us next season.

I agree, I think some folks have gotten too attached when he really hasn't proven much at all. If they're serious about getting better having someone more proven could be beneficial, and he's still reasonably young for a tender. 

Maybe Martin does it, maybe he doesn't. Is he really our best option or is it a cap thing?

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, BCNate said:

I wonder what it would take for us to get him as a backup/project?  Having a year or two with Ian Clark could jump start his career?

His numbers weren't awful last year, he won a lot of games, and the West is far weaker than the East right now.

We dont need any more ruskies.  

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I agree, I think some folks have gotten too attached when he really hasn't proven much at all. If they're serious about getting better having someone more proven could be beneficial, and he's still reasonably young for a tender. 

Maybe Martin does it, maybe he doesn't. Is he really our best option or is it a cap thing?

It shouldn’t be a cap thing considering how important the backup position is. We saw last season how a poor backup can absolutely sink you.

We also can’t get into a position where Demko has to play every game again because we can’t get a win from the backup. That equals an injured and burnt out Demko that wouldn’t have anything left for the playoffs if we made it.

Take an extra mil from anywhere in the lineup and add it to the backup. It will translate to wins much more than an overpaid bottom 6er.

Edited by DeNiro

Problem is if you push Martin back to Abby, you then hinder Silovs development and at some point very soon he needs his reps.  Mgmt did mention they are looking for a vet presence for Abby to balance/mentor and to a degree Martin fits that role.

I’d be totally onboard with Samsonov on a show me contract for sure though.

4 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

We dont need any more ruskies.  

Russian goalies are literally dominating the league.

This team needs the best players they can get for each position, could care less where they’re from.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It shouldn’t be a cap thing considering how important the backup position is. We saw last season how a poor backup can absolutely sink you.

We also can’t get into a position where Demko has to play every game again because we can’t get a win from the backup. That equals an injured and burnt out Demko that wouldn’t have anything left for the playoffs if we made it.

Take an extra mil from anywhere in the lineup and add it to the backup. It will translate to wins much more than an overpaid bottom 6er.

Agreed, building from the net out is how I'd do it. Not sold on Martin, too small a sample size. If he's who we start the season with I'll be concerned but maybe he'd surprise. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

If Clark thinks he can 'rebuild' Sam as a goalie; he could be a decent trade chip at next deadline.

Martin is getting paid the whole shot no matter where he plays, I believe? So no need to feel too bad for him.

Need to create assets, if this gains a pick down the road, maybe do it.

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He’s a backup at this point. I don’t see anyone offering him anything other than a 1B position.

The selling point the Canucks have is Clark. Sign a cheaper one year deal here an boost your value type of thing.

At 2 mil I think it’s worth it to spend that extra mil considering how crucial those games the backup plays will be.

Who took his job away in Wash? I agree, no one is making him a starter. Also, if that could be that term or close to it, next to nothing for bonuses (cause we’re stingy) then he could be salvaged with Clark’s help. 

Then try to dump Martin on waivers in hopes someone takes him… or a low chip for a trade.. 

1 hour ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

What? Our goaltending is the most cost-effective part of our team, why are we messing with it.

Martin proved to be a reliable back-up last year and is signed for dirt cheap. 

6 games isn’t proving it.

Can he do that for 20-25 games is the question. That’s the gamble, where if you can put a million more in a proven backup with high upside, it might be worth it.

We need to take advantage of having Clark here for as long as we can. Meaning giving him as many young goalies with the potential to be starters as possible. Based on Samsonov’s pedigree he has a much high potential to be that player. A guy that we can later flip for picks and/or prospects.