The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Penguins re-sign Richard Rakell

Just now, King Heffy said:

Marino, Poulin, and a 1st is pretty decent.

It’s ok, it’s not great by any means.

Call me a Jet Black Jim Benning but I’d rather hold out to TDL and gamble on more tbh. 

21 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I don't want to go into the season without him either traded or extended.  Get it over with in the offseason and avoid the media circus.

I 100% agree as a best case scenario, especially as insurance against a drop in production or injury or what have you, but I think Poulin is another project in the vein of a Kole Lind type in that we hope he emerges, but eventually ends up on waivers or walks before he finds a place with the big club.

I like Marino as a solid RD depth option. 
has the wheels and the vision at both ends to probably work well and open up either QH or OEL.  I watch maybe 50-60 Pens games per season and suffice to say Marino doesn’t stand out to me right now as being any better than Marcus Pettersson. Marino is great for the PK though, even if he still gets bodied quite often. Good stick, positionally sound.

watched him get PP time as well and balanced that between both 1st and 2nd units. 

He’s just entering the cusp of his prime and only has 3 seasons in the league, and with more TOI his fluctuating point totals could see good gains, especially paired with a guy like QH or OEL. I just don’t consider him the centrepiece of a solid JTM trade return. It would take another player of his level or equal + pick to make it work for me. 

the 1st is great, but if the Pens are in the hunt come TDL, that 1st may also be packaged then for help. Help which we could also potentially supply in a separate trade in the form of a Garland or Myers (with rentention).

Never know but, imho, I feel the Pens are a secondary option as a trade partner at the moment.

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

I 100% agree as a best case scenario, especially as insurance against a drop in production or injury or what have you, but I think Poulin is another project in the vein of a Kole Lind type in that we hope he emerges, but eventually ends up on waivers or walks before he finds a place with the big club.

I like Marino as a solid RD depth option. 
has the wheels and the vision at both ends to probably work well and open up either QH or OEL.  I watch maybe 50-60 Pens games per season and suffice to say Marino doesn’t stand out to me right now as being any better than Marcus Pettersson. Marino is great for the PK though, even if he still gets bodied quite often. Good stick, positionally sound.

watched him get PP time as well and balanced that between both 1st and 2nd units. 

He’s just entering the cusp of his prime and only has 3 seasons in the league, and with more TOI his increasing point totals could see good gains, especially paired with a guy like QH or OEL. I just don’t consider him the centrepiece of a solid JTM trade return. It would take another player of his level or equal + pick to make it work for me. 

the 1st is great, but if the Pens are in the hunt come TDL, that 1st may also be packaged then for help. Help which we could also potentially supply in a separate trade in the form of a Garland or Myers (with rentention).

Never know but, imho, I feel the Pens are a secondary option as a trade partner at the moment.

Retention on Garland or Myers is not acceptable due to the contract length being more than one year.   No more dead cap after this year, no exceptions.  I do agree that NJ is a better option and would love to see Mercer and one of their blueliners come here.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Retention on Garland or Myers is not acceptable due to the contract length being more than one year.   No more dead cap after this year, no exceptions.  I do agree that NJ is a better option and would love to see Mercer and one of their blueliners come here.

Only retention on Myers.

Garland is 100% value as is.

if you have to retain a bit on Myers to move him for a 1st, you do that. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

Just now, RWJC said:

Only retention on Myers.

Garland is 100% value as is.

if you have to retain a bit on Myers to move him for a 1st, you do that. 

No, if we retain salary on Myers, you fire the idiot who made that trade.  Any retention on long-term contracts needs to be considered grounds for immediate termination of employment going forward after what Gillis and Benning did to the team with the dead cap.  I don't care what you get back as a result of trading, handicapping the team with long-term salary retention is completely unacceptable.

Yeah but Pens don't have much on the right side of their D other then Marino and Letang.  Why would they trade Marino?  I suppose if they sign another RD in free agency, it might signal that they're getting ready to move Marino out.  

Poulin is a winger and we have plenty of those but he does have good size and looks promising.  

2023 1st round pick (top 2 protected) 

Filip Hallander (22 year old center that's an AHL/NHL tweener) 

2024 1st round pick conditional on JT Miller resigning in Pittsburgh (if he doesn't it becomes a 2024 2nd round pick)  

I think that Pens would prefer that trade as opposed to giving up Marino.  

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

No, if we retain salary on Myers, you fire the idiot who made that trade.  Any retention on long-term contracts needs to be considered grounds for immediate termination of employment going forward after what Gillis and Benning did to the team with the dead cap.  I don't care what you get back as a result of trading, handicapping the team with long-term salary retention is completely unacceptable.

I agree about dead cap. I’d still be ok with retaining 25% on Myers though. Two years left on his deal and if cap increases its a minor sting in contrast to having one more 1st round pick prospect in the club’s pocket or as a trade chip for better things.

• Upvote 2

The thing is about Marino, he's been reported to be on the block anyway as he isn't favoured by the current Pens management group. He was 12th on the TSN trade bait list last I checked. So he's more than available. If I'm JR/Allvin I'm looking to trade Miller for Marino, unprotected 2023 1st, and maybe a guy like Joel Blomqvist (G)?? Vancouver was reported to have a lot of interest in him, I think Clark wanted him. Vancouver doesn't really have a gem of a goalie prospect unless you count Silovs. If that's not enough for some, I feel like Marino, Blomqvist, 2023 1st, 2023 2nd gets it done.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That is a scary thought considering the guys who were running the draft for Pittsburgh are now running the draft for Vancouver...

That’s one thing JB should def be given props for. Sure there are some duds too, but he did draft arguably our best ever offensive minded Dman and a good chunk of our young core

Edited by RWJC
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah but Pens don't have much on the right side of their D other then Marino and Letang.  Why would they trade Marino?  I suppose if they sign another RD in free agency, it might signal that they're getting ready to move Marino out.  

Poulin is a winger and we have plenty of those but he does have good size and looks promising.  

2023 1st round pick (top 2 protected) 

Filip Hallander (22 year old center that's an AHL/NHL tweener) 

2024 1st round pick conditional on JT Miller resigning in Pittsburgh (if he doesn't it becomes a 2024 2nd round pick)  

I think that Pens would prefer that trade as opposed to giving up Marino.  

Conditional picks upon re-signing are no longer allowed - was part of the CBA changes in summer 2020.  Miller is either traded as a 1-year rental or with an extension already agreed upon.  

3 hours ago, RWJC said:

It’s ok, it’s not great by any means.

Call me a Jet Black Jim Benning but I’d rather hold out to TDL and gamble on more tbh. 

when was the last time canucks gamble and won? this franchise is cursed when it comes to luck and gambling

• Cheers 1