The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) CGY D Zadorov looking for 4mill per x 4 year deal in free agency

RWJC

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I know. I'm having this battle all over CDC :lol:

If we're talking timing, I see blowing the team up in 3-4 years as the proper way to do this thing. Just piddling around with one guy (Miller) and waiting for free agency in 2 years seems like more middle meh to me. I'd like to support this core, while we have a top 5 goalie, and see what shakes for the next 2-3 seasons. If its not successful then lets nuke this mo-fo and tank correctly for once.

Having a piss poor pipeline after all these years of sucking is causing some serious problems. We really really really need this small handful of guys with higher end potential to pan out. Whatever happens I really hope we make the right choices with experience at the helm now 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

I would probably do that and then do trades as necessary for additional space.

Our management team is not done making moves, they are just approaching this with patience.

I'm thinking our management team might have caught Gillisitis.

big ears deer in the headlights GIF by BBC

2 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Having a piss poor pipeline after all these years of sucking is causing some serious problems.

and thats the basis for the plan I'm advocating for, we just don't have a pipeline to fill in spots for 3-4 years. Thats why I'd like to just run with this core, with incremental upgrades around them like a Zadorov, e.g. 

2 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

We really really really need this small handful of guys with higher end potential to pan out. Whatever happens I really hope we make the right choices with experience at the helm now 

I see it as a 4 year job. This draft was an OK start but still major holes like RHD yet to fill, which I think comes next draft which looks to be pretty deep on that front. 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

and thats the basis for the plan I'm advocating for, we just don't have a pipeline to fill in spots for 3-4 years. Thats why I'd like to just run with this core, with incremental upgrades around them like a Zadorov, e.g. 

I see it as a 4 year job. This draft was an OK start but still major holes like RHD yet to fill, which I think comes next draft which looks to be pretty deep on that front. 

I do love how on forums everyone sees things from a little bit of a different angle, Can't wait to see what route we take. At the end of the day I'm going to be drinking and enjoying our boys play regardless:lol:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Mustard Tiger said:

I do love how on forums everyone sees things from a little bit of a different angle, Can't wait to see what route we take. At the end of the day I'm going to be drinking and enjoying our boys play regardless:lol:

yup me too. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

… at the exact same time all the efficient contracts come up for raises to use all that dead cap space.  No ELCs ready to roll in and make up we efficient contracts in that time period.

There is no magic world where else end up with a bunch of money available in a couple years without moving significant pieces off this roster.

That's very true. We need to add a right defender but we shouldn't be signing any other unnecessary players unless we are building for the future or it's a short deal. Currently our top 9 is completely full. We should be adding minimum salary 4th liners on one or two year deals until hopefully some prospects jump into positions as our dead cap finally falls off the table.

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

sure lets wait two years. And in the meantime? 

I like our core group and think it can be helped with better support pieces. Maybe you don't, and thats fine. 

In the meantime who cares. This is what patience is for. Accept we screwed up in the JB era, we've had 3-5 years or horrible hockey and these things take some time to fix. We've currently got lots and lots of players in the forward group. Why burn through more cap on bad deals that hurt us in the future again. We need to take the pedal off the metal for a bit.

Kuzmenko Miller Boeser

Pearson Bo Podkolzin

Dickinson Petey Garland

Hoglander UFA Lockwood

Aman/Karlsson

Edited by Gawdzukes

9 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm thinking our management team might have caught Gillisitis.

big ears deer in the headlights GIF by BBC

Need to make the right moves, not just moves for the sake of making moves.

All things being equal, I would keep Myers, but I'm pretty sure OEL refused to waive his NMC and as such, we really have too much cap space being taken up by 3 guys. Hughes isn't going anywhere, so Myers is likely the guy who will get moved.

At the moment, they have a specific return in mind in any possible trade of Myers, however, if they can sign a couple of guys in free agency that round our our right side D, then maybe the needed return diminishes due to more urgency to move cap.

At the moment, we have a little over 2.1 million available in cap space, but can run over by 10% if necessary during the off season. If we could sign Zadorov for around 4 million, plus maybe someone like Matt Benning at 2...ish, then Myers may be expendable for closer to a 3rd or 4th round pick, instead of a 2nd round pick.

I don't anticipate that we will do much in the UFA market, I think we will be value conscious, looking for some guys who can bolster bottom 6 and right defense. If we spend anything on a player, north of 2 million, I believe it will be for an RD.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

right now we have Demko for 4 years and then he's a UFA. Thats our window for the team Benning put together, imo. 

Nope and that's where you're going astray. Benning is gone, we shouldn't be on his plan anymore. It's a confirmed failure and he's been terminated. We will have Demko or another goalie much longer than 4 years.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Nope and that's where you're going astray. Benning is gone, we shouldn't be on his plan anymore. It's a confirmed failure and he's been terminated. We will have Demko or another goalie much longer than 4 years.

I just don't see the two year thing working, but we'll find out. 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

I just don't see the two year thing working, but we'll find out. 

Yeah I hear where you are coming from. I would rather go the 2 year route and see if we can't get 2 RD and proper stability through the line-up along with a couple prospects coming down the pipeline added to the cap space we will have. If that isn't viable then Bo, Petey, and Hughes can still be traded for a King's ransom in 2-3 years to do a proper rebuild.

Selling Petey, and Hughes right now for lottery tickets to hopefully get a Petey and Hughes just doesn't make much sense. We've already completed that step. They are only 22. Time to build around them. It would be like Arizona trading Cooley and Geekie.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I hear where you are coming from. I would rather go the 2 year route and see if we can't get 2 RD and proper stability through the line-up along with a couple prospects coming down the pipeline added to the cap space we will have. If that isn't viable then Bo, Petey, and Hughes can still be traded for a King's ransom in 2-3 years to do a proper rebuild.

Selling Petey, and Hughes right now for lottery tickets to hopefully get a Petey and Hughes just doesn't make much sense. We've already completed that step. They are only 22. Time to build around them. It would be like Arizona trading Cooley and Geekie.

yup thats how I see it. 

But my current preference only makes sense if JR can upgrade the support pieces in the bottom 6 and at least two d. Clock is kind of ticking on that. 

I'm hoping we can land one bargain given all the non-QO's and buyouts, but thats just a start. We need to see 4 or 5 guys improved upon. No small tasks there. 

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

yup thats how I see it. 

But my current preference only makes sense if JR can upgrade the support pieces in the bottom 6 and at least two d. Clock is kind of ticking on that. 

I'm hoping we can land one bargain given all the non-QO's and buyouts, but thats just a start. We need to see 4 or 5 guys improved upon. No small tasks there. 

No, I'm not going to lie. I'm starting to fray around the edges. ;) I just hope we do something, and yes it's going to be incredibly hard.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Vintage 1

-Move Myers for a pick

-Sign Zadorov for the reported ask

-Trade Miller for Lundell and Weegar

Podkolzin Pettersson Boeser

Kuzmenko Horvat Garland

Pearson Lundell Hoglander

Unknown 4th line

Hughes Weegar

OEL Zadorov

Rathbone Schenn

There are so many options still, but it would be nice to see the concrete plan start to shape up.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

-Move Myers for a pick

Kuzmenko Horvat Garland

Unknown 4th line

Hughes Weegar

OEL Zadorov

Rathbone Schenn

There are so many options still, but it would be nice to see the concrete plan start to shape up.

For me this is the exact general plan I would like to see unfold. Myers and Miller traded. Two younger/tougher more stay at home guys and a young up and coming forward would be gravy on an already full forward group. Allows us to slowly jettison guys like Pearson, Hoglander, Dickinson and maybe even Garland as well over the next two years.

• Cheers 1

I suggested Zadorov as a potential Myers replacement a while back and was shouted down. Looking at it now, I kinda agree with my past detractors as I'm not sure we'd want to commit 4 mil per at that term.

Seems to me there will be some 'buy low' late summer deals this year and they shouldn't be chasing 'buy high' day 1 signings. 

Edited by awalk

Would you drather:

Commit 4x4 to Z while losing no assets/players

or

Trade for Weegar (lose player and pick) and extend for 5x5?  Obviously the player would affect the final decision along with the pick (2nd or 3rd).

You are not trading for Weegar just to let him walk next year. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

-Move Myers for a pick

Kuzmenko Horvat Garland

Unknown 4th line

Hughes Weegar

OEL Zadorov

Rathbone Schenn

Man, if we can trade Miller for Weegar and Lundell I will cry tears of joy. 

Zadorov played great because Sutter put him in a role that didn't make him see big competition or highly skilled forwards. He played simple, physical, and skated well with Gudbranson.

Once Tanev got injured in the Edmonton series, Zadorov was elevated and he struggled mightily against top six competition and was a regular culprit when McDavid and Draisaitl torched the Flames. I don't think Zadorov would fit our system if he is in the top 4. If he is a bottom pairing guy perhaps, but asking any more of him than a 5-6dman is asking for trouble. 

• Cheers 1