The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Giroux to Ottawa

https://www.rds.ca/hockey/lnh/rumeurs-lnh-des-nouvelles-de-claude-giroux-jack-campbell-darcy-kuemper-etc-1.15953140

RDS is citing Dreger saying Giroux has a good chance of signing in Ottawa, they have 24M$ cap space, but still need to sign Norris, Joseph and Formenton.

Good addition for Ottawa, local boy, but I wonder why would Giroux do it.  I understand the coming home part, but certainly not going to win a cup in Ottawa imo.

2 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

https://www.rds.ca/hockey/lnh/rumeurs-lnh-des-nouvelles-de-claude-giroux-jack-campbell-darcy-kuemper-etc-1.15953140

RDS is citing Dreger saying Giroux has a good chance of signing in Ottawa, they have 24M$ cap space. Good addition for Ottawa, local boy, but I wonder why would Giroux do it.  I understand the coming home part, but certainly not going to win a cup in Ottawa imo.

spacer.png

Edited by Alflives

I wonder why lol. I guess a homecoming of sorts - from Ontario and played jr. across the bridge in Gatineau. But I figured he'd wanna sign with a contender. I guess one last big contract.

Dorion has made a couple good moves - got the best available, young sniper (9M QO or not) and then moved Matt Murray for peanuts and got picks with it. Not gonna lie, much better moves than his Hamonic trade. If they can land Giroux and add a decent top-4 defenseman their spot in the standings might be very different next year, especially if Forsberg can keep sustain his decent play.

Edited by Teemu Selänne
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

RDS is citing Dreger saying Giroux has a good chance of signing in Ottawa, they have 24M$ cap space, but still need to sign Norris, Joseph and Formenton.

Good addition for Ottawa, local boy, but I wonder why would Giroux do it.  I understand the coming home part, but certainly not going to win a cup in Ottawa imo.

1. Cash Money

2. He was born nearby

3. They will love him

4. They just got debrincat, add that to Tkachuk, Stutzle, Josh Norris (35 goals last year), Chabot....

5. He gets to speak French

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

lol Ottawa is getting good fast. They have a better young core than us. 

They definitely do not have a better young core than us lmao

Don't forget that they're notoriously bad at keeping talent in that organization, even after signing extensions to their top players has never guaranteed them staying long-term. There's a reason why talent always comes from that organization to help other teams; Chara, Hossa, Hoffman, Stone, Turris, zibanejad, ceci, dzingle, duclair etc... it's in their culture.

That franchise is a tire fire and it won't be long until every player from that "better young core than ours" is shipped out of town. Meanwhile, we have players in every key position that are better than all their players playing in those positions.

We are better on offense, on the powerplay, on defense and in net. PK this year was an absolute anomaly.  There is absolutely nothing about that franchise that makes me envious. I see them as a free 2 points every time we play them. They can be flashy and have moments where they wow you offensively... but that's it. We do that way more often than them, and that's through our star players' injury woes of the last 2 years (most notably Petey and Brock). 

Their fans would probably trade their entire roster for Hughes Pettersson and Demko. 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

How?  Their guys only know how to play one way.  Other than batherson and chabot they are a tire fire on ice.

Tkachuk/Norris/Debrincat/Stutzle/Batherson/Chabot/Brannstrom/Sanderson 
vs
Pettersson/Boeser/Horvat/Hughes/Demko

3 hours ago, Drakrami said:

vs

Podz?

While not young per say, they don’t have a Bo nor a Miller.

If you count Debrincat that was traded for their 7th overall, I think you need to count Lekkerimaki in that list too.

Branstron has lost a little of luster since his draft year, I think you could put Rathbone as a counter on that list.

Not arguing one way or the other, just saying your Canucks list is missing a few.

Edited by timberz21
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Drakrami said:

vs

Wheres podkolzin and hoglander? 

Again, tkachuk, norris and debrincat only know how to play one way. Thats why they are a constant tire fire.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1