The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Changes that could improve the NHL

Rate this topic

NHL Changes   

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

what about a discount for home drafted players?

ie: if you draft a player only 75% of their salary apply to the cap, as long as they play for you.

- or a 'franchise' player tag... 1 player that is paid 'outside' the cap. ie: McDavid could be then paid 18 mill/yr. but this makes a franchise player almost impossible to be traded, unless they become the new team's franchise player. 

• Vintage 1

Toronto has higher taxes than Vancouver and have no trouble bringing in players.  California is also slightly more expensive.  If taxation has to be factored it, then marketing opportunities should also. 

Walsh thinks the debate is mostly about being uninformed:

Edited by mll
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

33 minutes ago, mll said:

Toronto has higher taxes than Vancouver and have no trouble bringing in players.  California is also slightly more expensive.  If taxation has to be factored it, then marketing opportunities should also. 

Walsh thinks the debate is mostly about being ill-informed:

Salary

Compare Taxes of Two Teams

vancouverCanucksLogo.png

Vancouver Canucks

(52.72% x $5,500,000)
$2,899,600
toronto-leafs-logo.png

Toronto Maple Leafs

(52.83% x $5,500,000)
$2,905,650

Difference in Tax Paid

$6,050

your salary.

Enter an Annual Salary

vancouverCanucksLogo.png

Vancouver Canucks

(53.14% x $12,000,000)
$6,376,800
toronto-leafs-logo.png

Toronto Maple Leafs

(53.21% x $12,000,000)
$6,385,200

Difference in Tax Paid

$8,400

Yes i'm sure they are really concerned about this.. 

Or if you'd like to see some Cali i've already mentioned them - they pay about 4.5% less tax then we do ... look it up.   And the Alberta teams pay less.  But marginally so.  

Enter an Annual Salary

Please enter an amount equal to or above the league minimum salary of $700,000.

lgo_nhl_anaheim_ducks.png

Anaheim Ducks

(49.19% x $5,500,000)
$2,705,450
vancouverCanucksLogo.png

Vancouver Canucks

(52.72% x $5,500,000)
$2,899,600

Difference in Tax Paid

$194,150

How is CAli "marginally" more expensive?    Get this calculates the cities they play in given their divisions as well.  To me this reads "5.5" in CALo is like 5.3 in Vancouver more or less.   Yes CAli and NY teams pay similar tax rates as Alberta teams which i've mentioned already.    Within a couple points anyways.   After them there is a massive drop.   Down to 42, then down to 36.64.   You can take a horse to water ... 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, mll said:

This and the guys are pain in US dollars which has 22% more purchasing power up here.  

Guys choose US cities for climate, familiarity (they’re American) but mostly so they - and their families - can live in almost total anonymity.  

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, mll said:

Walsh thinks the debate is mostly about being ill-informed:

TO has their own competitive advantages.   We saw this with Tavares.   And we saw it with Spezza.   And Thornton.   And will maybe see this with Horvat and other homegrown ONT players.   So does MTL!   I brought this up when defending the Swedish connection we have in Vancouver.   There has always been players willing to play in TO... and MTL.   Because that's where the majority of Canadian hockey players come from.   We didn't get Sakic or Yzerman (I wasn't born far from where Yzerman was!)  and didn't even get Ferraro.    They've got a massive pool of guys who've already made their millions, just waiting to come play for them. 

Forever is the same about the NYR.   And that's not going to change.   Despite them also having jock tax similar to CALi.    If you don't think Vancouver doesn't have a disadvantage in this respect - i think your missing the point. 

Edited by IBatch

I always thought power plays should go the full two minutes whether you score or not.

I feel much more strongly that you should still get your power play if you score while waiting for the penalty to be called.

Since you're talking about revising goalie stats, I say roll the WHA stats officially into the NHL numbers.  At least use that total as the primary stat.

Go back to the conference teams for the All Star game.  Probably too late to make players ever play hard again but that was the way it was when they did.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I always thought power plays should go the full two minutes whether you score or not.

I feel much more strongly that you should still get your power play if you score while waiting for the penalty to be called.

Since you're talking about revising goalie stats, I say roll the WHA stats officially into the NHL numbers.  At least use that total as the primary stat.

Go back to the conference teams for the All Star game.  Probably too late to make players ever play hard again but that was the way it was when they did.

Johnny Bower gets overlooked a lot.  His age was always a mystery despite having 300AHL wins... and 300NHL ones.  WHA also a pro league - i wouldn't at all be apposed to making a column for total pro points.   Ovi ... well know it's exciting to see if he can catch Gretzky ... adding another 54 or so 17 year old WHA goals probably puts it out of reach.   Possibly Hulls and Howes pro goals as well. 

20 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Johnny Bower gets overlooked a lot.  His age was always a mystery despite having 300AHL wins... and 300NHL ones.  WHA also a pro league - i wouldn't at all be apposed to making a column for total pro points.   Ovi ... well know it's exciting to see if he can catch Gretzky ... adding another 54 or so 17 year old WHA goals probably puts it out of reach.   Possibly Hulls and Howes pro goals as well. 

Yeah back in the days of the original six the AHL was a much different thing, not that far from par with the NHL as well.  I think Beliveau played there for a while too if I remember right.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah back in the days of the original six the AHL was a much different thing, not that far from par with the NHL as well.  I think Beliveau played there for a while too if I remember right.

Quebec Aces ... Beliveau was so cherished by the Habs that they bought the franchise just to get him onto their team.   Only Wayne Gretzky and Patrick Roy as individual players - made such an impact.     Funny thing about Roy,

Hall was the first one to do the butterfly... Gretzky merged the two leagues because the NHL couldn't fathom losing anymore talent.   NHL

lost every court case against the WHA and deserved too.   Couldn't beat them in a court mandated tourney lol.   Losing Gretzky and Ken Linesman case was the final straw the owners bucked up

and did the right thing.  

WHA was bleeding money at that point.  Gretzky really should be asking for royalties from half the league right now lol.   US expansion and the WHA merger. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

These long term contracts are crap. Should be six years max if signng with your own club. Five years max when UFA. I'd be fine with five and four as well.

I do think they are at least one year off.    Edit: aside from Friedman, most of these ideas i've floated with my hockey pal ... and this is one of the subjects we've discussed as well so thanks for the addition (added it to the poll).   Know it's a business, but the bulk of the NHLPA would also benefit from

reducing length of contracts.   Most of the escrow is a result of free agents.   As an aside, it's been floated for years by THN that the best value is always the second contract.   Where things get hairy is paying 3rd contract money (which has slowly crept in the past decade or so, because of well "great value") for 2nd contracts.   I hope they can find a happy medium. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

These long term contracts are crap. Should be six years max if signing with your own club. Five years max when UFA. I'd be fine with five and four as well.

Imagine a world where you got that sort of certainty and that sort of pay whether your produced or you didn't.   Do think this is a major issue.  So many guys over the years have a "career year" and then slide into crappola.   There should at the very minimum, be some sort of recourse for the league to correct these deals.   Get seniority but come on.   It's not government, in the real world your produce or your out.    If your not hungry - well you lose your edge.   It's also why pre salary disclosure we got the best hockey.    Gainey and his vet pal sitting in the locker room we're willing to move mountains to keep their jobs (and said as much).    You should always reward production and penalize the other route.    The NHL product has taken a few jolts over the years.   Don't at all mind the players getting paid properly.  But sure remember the years they also took advantage of it as well, it led to the lockout.   Most fans were sympathized with the owners by then.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

On 7/12/2022 at 4:06 PM, mll said:

Still.... should be a level playing field, if you put a cap on it.

Forgive me, if I'm wrong, but part of the idea to put a cap on it, was that not to get a level playing field, and not just the richest getting an advantage?

If there's different tax, that isn't a level playing field.

For me the issue comes because of to many teams, and having a closed system (cap draft etc) which actually rewards failure. team will go boom and bust, and this is rewarded rather then looking for sustainability. If the draft was scrapped it would massively help - but its not going to happen.

For me there has to be a realisation that there is a single prize in the NHL and with 32 teams that its just going to be years and decades for some teams to get to the top. I think a couple of things need to happen,

A) grow the league and then split it into separate leagues similar to the current conferences except they don't play against each other and only in their conference. Push a bigger focus on winning the conference league as a feat unto itself and class these as championships.

then also have a play in style system for those just missing out - and have the team at this point play across the conference for it.

in round 1 proper play cross conference and mix it up.

b) keep things as they are but have a more things to win. Obviously the Stanley cup is the pinnacle but in European Soccer a team in England can play in the premier league, league cup, FA cup and one of Europa Conference, Europa League, Champions league (and with the European competition, can start in one and end up in another). But I think the NHL can handle having some knock out cup competitions that are done either as a single game, or a home and away leg, with each round being a completely new draw. Set time aside in the calendar for it and have it finish before trade deadline.

That way teams can get a good cup run, win a different trophy etc, as a team to win the stanley cup has to endure and survive attrition, a knockoup style cup any team could beat any team on the night, meaning attritional hockey isn't as relevant to winning the cup.

c) have the 4 divisional winners automatically get into the playoffs and give them a bye, then make the qualification spots wider, Make winning a division mean something

• Vintage 1

On 7/12/2022 at 11:41 AM, Kevin Biestra said:

Crazy how teams can be so good, they change the rules just to give the rest of the league a chance lol.   Richard and crew in the 50's scored too many PP goals so they changed the penalty rules to how they are today... Gretzky and co were so good 4 x 4 they got rid of the coincidental minors and let someone sub in and just played 5 x 5 .... then scoring dropped and once the Oilers were disbanded, they changed it back lol.   A lot of Oilers were pissed about this at the time and rightly so!   Imagine quite a few of them would have 20-100 more points lol, same with quite a few others that played during those years... 4 x 4 was almost an automatic goal for the Oilers back then, and sure many they even tactically took advantage of this (Tik and other "pesty" players, just to get them the chance).    To me the league shouldn't penalize good teams.   Also imagine that a lot of history would be a lot different if teams still could score like it was a Major every time ... doubt the refs would be so whistle happy. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Crazy how teams can be so good, they change the rules just to give the rest of the league a chance lol.   Richard and crew in the 50's scored too many PP goals so they changed the penalty rules to how they are today... Gretzky and co were so good 4 x 4 they got rid of the coincidental minors and let someone sub in and just played 5 x 5 .... then scoring dropped and once the Oilers were disbanded, they changed it back lol.   A lot of Oilers were pissed about this at the time and rightly so!   Imagine quite a few of them would have 20-100 more points lol, same with quite a few others that played during those years... 4 x 4 was almost an automatic goal for the Oilers back then, and sure many they even tactically took advantage of this (Tik and other "pesty" players, just to get them the chance).    To me the league shouldn't penalize good teams.   Also imagine that a lot of history would be a lot different if teams still could score like it was a Major every time ... doubt the refs would be so whistle happy. 

If they had had Michael Jordan they would have found a way to screw that up. 
‘It is weird that they took away 4v4 because the Oilers were to good at it but also moved the net further away from the boards to expand Gretzky’s office. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

For me the issue comes because of to many teams, and having a closed system (cap draft etc) which actually rewards failure. team will go boom and bust, and this is rewarded rather then looking for sustainability. If the draft was scrapped it would massively help - but its not going to happen.

For me there has to be a realisation that there is a single prize in the NHL and with 32 teams that its just going to be years and decades for some teams to get to the top. I think a couple of things need to happen,

A) grow the league and then split it into separate leagues similar to the current conferences except they don't play against each other and only in their conference. Push a bigger focus on winning the conference league as a feat unto itself and class these as championships.

then also have a play in style system for those just missing out - and have the team at this point play across the conference for it.

in round 1 proper play cross conference and mix it up.

b) keep things as they are but have a more things to win. Obviously the Stanley cup is the pinnacle but in European Soccer a team in England can play in the premier league, league cup, FA cup and one of Europa Conference, Europa League, Champions league (and with the European competition, can start in one and end up in another). But I think the NHL can handle having some knock out cup competitions that are done either as a single game, or a home and away leg, with each round being a completely new draw. Set time aside in the calendar for it and have it finish before trade deadline.

That way teams can get a good cup run, win a different trophy etc, as a team to win the stanley cup has to endure and survive attrition, a knockoup style cup any team could beat any team on the night, meaning attritional hockey isn't as relevant to winning the cup.

c) have the 4 divisional winners automatically get into the playoffs and give them a bye, then make the qualification spots wider, Make winning a division mean something

Well said.   Believe long term, this is probably what will happen.   The league can't expand and expect interest to remain high forever without making changes.    Agree winning the conference final now, in many ways was like winning the cup pre-expansion.  I'm actually a fan of retraction.   Without the cap, the league would have been headed that way and they knew this.   Worth a year without revenue not just to fix salary disclosure - but also save 6-8 teams asses.   Wonder how many people on this site are aware of even though Hartford/CAR franchise won a cup, not too many years after attendance slid like crazy, even though they still were a good team, and once the Staal/Ward era crashed their attendance became dismal.   Florida still suffers with bad attendance lol.   ARI/CAR/FLD definitely are teams the league could have lost.    ARI still should be moved.