The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Pagnotta: Mackenzie Weegar trade possible

13 minutes ago, Johnny Torts said:

But they are losing Giroux tmrw right ? I wonder if something could be done around Miller and Weegar. 

Especially because of Miller’s hit (5M) they could make another real push…

If they wanted to, it gives them the year to figure out their cap situation.

I really don’t want Sam Reinhardt but we might have to take him to get Weegar.

Miller + Garland for Weegar and Rhino.  

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Florida is soft up front.  Miller + Garland for Weegar + Bennett.  (Florida for sure would prefer to dumperoo Rhino on us but yuk go him.  

We get a partner for Hughes and a 3C.  

I would do this deal, but the cap numbers don't work and Florida would need to get a defenceman.  I would add Dermott to the deal and ask for a 2nd round pick back in return.

To Florida:

JT Miller 

Conor Garland

Travis Dermott

To Vancouver:

MacKenzie Weegar

18 year old Sam Bennett

Patric Hornqvist

2023 2nd round pick

Hornqvist is a cap dump to even out the contracts.  $11.7 million in cap goes to Florida and and $12.9 million goes back to Vancouver.  We get our partner for Hughes and our 3C and Florida gets one elite forward and one very good forward and a Dman who can play both sides.  

Marchment    Pettersson   Boeser

Kuzmenko     Horvat          Podkolzin

Höglander     Bennett        Hornqvist

Deslauriers   Lammikko     Lazar

Highmore

Hughes       Weegar

OEL             Myers

Rathbone    Schenn

Burroughs

Demko     Martin

Cap numbers work for us.  We would be around $82 million in total.  We would just need to dump Dickinson and Poolman and trade Pearson.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I would do this deal, but the cap numbers don't work and Florida would need to get a defenceman.  I would add Dermott to the deal and ask for a 2nd round pick back in return.

To Florida:

JT Miller 

Conor Garland

Travis Dermott

To Vancouver:

MacKenzie Weegar

18 year old Sam Bennett

Patric Hornqvist

2023 2nd round pick

Hornqvist is a cap dump to even out the contracts.  $11.7 million in cap goes to Florida and and $12.9 million goes back to Vancouver.  We get our partner for Hughes and our 3C and Florida gets one elite forward and one very good forward and a Dman who can play both sides.  

Highmore

Hughes       Weegar

OEL             Myers

Rathbone    Schenn

Burroughs

Demko     Martin

Cap numbers work for us.  We would be around $82 million in total.  We would just need to dump Dickinson and Poolman and trade Pearson.

I think you might be underrating some of the FLA pieces, but I like the premise. I'd honestly think you have to change the 2nd to a later pick like 4th or 5th for this to be considered by FLA. Might even have to remove it altogether. 

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

To Florida:

JT Miller 

Conor Garland

Travis Dermott

To Vancouver:

MacKenzie Weegar

18 year old Sam Bennett

Patric Hornqvist

2023 2nd round pick

Highmore

Hughes       Weegar

OEL             Myers

Rathbone    Schenn

Burroughs

Demko     Martin

18yr old is a tough kid.  Would be a nice addition to the bottom 6 and can probably play higher in the lineup for stints if necessary.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think you might be underrating some of the FLA pieces, but I like the premise. I'd honestly think you have to change the 2nd to a later pick like 4th or 5th for this to be considered by FLA. Might even have to remove it altogether. 

Miller and Garland versus Weegar and Bennett is a pretty good trade off. Thanks to Alf for that  proposal. Hornqvist is a cap dump to make it work so that plus Dermott is the value for the 2nd round pick. However I’d still do the deal if it was a 3rd round pick. 

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Miller and Garland versus Weegar and Bennett is a pretty good trade off. Thanks to Alf for that  proposal. Hornqvist is a cap dump to make it work so that plus Dermott is the value for the 2nd round pick. However I’d still do the deal if it was a 3rd round pick. 

Yeah, a fair analysis. I would say Miller is worth pretty equal to Weegar and Bennett might be worth just a little more than Garland, but both are fairly close. I don't know enough about Hornqvist to assess how much his worth is below his cap hit, but if that's valuable enough for FLA, then maybe your proposal makes sense.

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I have been very very high on Weegar for a few years now. IMO, he's a #1 D on the vast majority of teams. He doesn't score a billion points, but he's extremely solid defensively on top of getting 40+ points. He's in the "do everything well and nothing poorly" mold.

That said, I think Florida realizes how good he is (He was 8th in Norris voting in 2020-21 and 14th this past year) and will be very expensive in a trade. Honestly, I think his value is about dead even with Miller, but maybe a smidge less. Something like this would be fair I think:

To Van:

Weegar

2023 3rd

To Fla:

Miller

That said, I'm not sure if they can re-sign Miller, so it may not fil their bill. Regardless, I think fans should be aware of just how valuable Weegar is. We're not talking about a 2nd pairing guy here--he's a bonafide top pairing guy who can play very heavy minutes and do anything.

Additionally, because he's so good and has only one year left, he will probably be looking for a massive raise on his next contract, in the neighbourhood of $7.5M+ IMO, so this doesn't avoid a big contract coming up, it just transfers the issue from Miller to defense (if we were to move Miller for Weegar, which I'm not sure is what FLA wants).

Hate 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Florida is soft up front.  Miller + Garland for Weegar + Bennett.  (Florida for sure would prefer to dumperoo Rhino on us but yuk go him.  

We get a partner for Hughes and a 3C.  

how does moving their hardest forward help them become less soft up front, while also adding thumbelina, err, garland?

This should be our main target and it’s crazy he’s available. Should be a “whatever” we have to do situation. Garland/Miller/Hoglander/Boeser/Horvat should all be on the table in order to upgrade the right side. I’d personally try Miller and see if we can get a pick in return as well. Like a second in next years draft. 

• Haha 1

Panthers need cap space. They probably don’t want Miller,

if we traded Miller and Myers and maybe offered cheap youngsters like Rathbone, Hog and picks/prospects. Similar to trading with VGK for Roy and Hague. 

We need to clear some cap and fill out our cupboards before we consider these types of moves. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog

6 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Good player but I'm not so sure about that.

Agreed. Guy was roasted by his own fan(s) lol for making critical mistakes in the reg season and playoffs. Anyone can be a + when your team averages 4 goals a game, heck Myers gets crapped on but was +19 before two bad games to end the season got put him at +15.

Weeger imo is gonna be the  next mediocre RHD signed to a top pairing deal that is immediately a Nad signing once he's on a team that outscore its problems. 

Ekblad is another one that has really benefited from being on an offensive juggernaut imo.

Their entire defence was exposed in the playoffs. Not a fan at all of weeger and especially not with Quinn. We need a Slavin type, Zub is a guy I'd trade Garland for however.

6 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Does FLA have its first? They could be a good stealth suitor for JT Miller maybe. 

Weagar ++ maybe pry Lundell if we add a forward of quality 

Is Miller + Garland for Weegar + Lundell crazy? 

Per Elliotte Friedman

Friedman believes with OTT currently in an accelerated retooling they may be considering trading for FLA G Mackenzie Weegar who has 1 year left on his contract and is from the Ottawa area 

Per Kevin Francis

UPDATED Midnight EST - I'm being told MacKenzie Weegar could be back in play as a potential target for Ottawa as the Panthers want to extend Jonathan Huberdeau this summer, they want to lock him up now with only one year left on his deal. They don't want to encounter what Calgary is dealing with now with Johnny Gaudreau by not locking him up last year. I was told unless Panthers GM Bill Zito can get creative in unloading Sergei Bobrovsky, Zito knows there's no way they can re-sign Weegar and they need to maximize his trade value now with one year left on his deal rather than move him at the deadline as a rental. 

- So much speculation at this time of year. Just posting this because it’s Friedman 

Edited by RWJC

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

Per Elliotte Friedman

Friedman believes with OTT currently in an accelerated retooling they may be considering trading for FLA G Mackenzie Weegar who has 1 year left on his contract and is from the Ottawa area 

Per Kevin Francis

UPDATED Midnight EST - I'm being told MacKenzie Weegar could be back in play as a potential target for Ottawa as the Panthers want to extend Jonathan Huberdeau this summer, they want to lock him up now with only one year left on his deal. They don't want to encounter what Calgary is dealing with now with Johnny Gaudreau by not locking him up last year. I was told unless Panthers GM Bill Zito can get creative in unloading Sergei Bobrovsky, Zito knows there's no way they can re-sign Weegar and they need to maximize his trade value now with one year left on his deal rather than move him at the deadline as a rental. 

- So much speculation at this time of year. Just posting this because it’s Friedman 

Somebody wake up Rutherford!

• Haha 1