The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) NYR F Copp going to UFA, seeking 7yrs x 5.5mill

RWJC

If that's what he's asking via the media - maybe a slightly smaller contract - 6 years at 5M.

At that price I'd be sold. He'd fill in nicely in the top-6 with Miller gone, allow a player to be "moved down" as Rutherford stated. Give the Canucks someone in the top-6 other than Horvat who is strong along the boards and in puck battles, the "balance" Rutherford is maybe speaking of. Plus can play all 3 forward positions and could slide into 3C if needed. He'd be signed thru his prime.

Kuzie - Petey - Boeser

Hoglander - Horvat - Garland

Pearson - Copp - Podkolzin

Aston Reese - Sturm - Sprong

Lockwood/Dickinson

• Cheers 1

Copp would be 35yr old by the time a 7yr contract ends.  He got 53pts last year but previous years never got past 40pts.  

His last contract was $3.6M x 1yr.  Listed as 6’1” 206lbs.  Not overly big.

Think he’s worth maybe $4.5-5M x 4-5yr deal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

Copp would be 35yr old by the time a 7yr contract ends.  He got 53pts last year but previous years never got past 40pts.  

His last contract was $3.6M x 1yr.  Listed as 6’1” 206lbs.  Not overly big.

Think he’s worth maybe $4.5-5M x 4-5yr deal.

Yep. On a 4-6 year deal from 4.6-5.1 depending on how short the term is, I'd be sold. 7 @ 5.5 is a bit high, but it's also not uncommon for players leak higher #s to the media. Letang was gonna sign for 8-9M then settled for 6.1, as a recent example.

Just now, Dazzle said:

Can't believe we are talking about signing a free agent again for a long term, after trashing the previous GM for signing Player Name. We sure have short memories.

Nah , I think people are too effected by Loui Player Name. Not every player is gonna be that bad but Canucks fans now live in fear :lol:

Just now, Teemu Selänne said:

Yep. On a 4-6 year deal from 4.6-5.1 depending on how short the term is, I'd be sold. 7 @ 5.5 is a bit high, but it's also not uncommon for players leak higher #s to the media. Letang was gonna sign for 8-9M then settled for 6.1, as a recent example.

Yeah. That’s true. I’m not sure Copp is going to get 7 years for 5.5M. Is he a top six player? Or more middle six forward?

A middle six forward getting that much term, really

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. That’s true. I’m not sure Copp is going to get 7 years for 5.5M. Is he a top six player? Or more middle six forward?

A middle six forward getting that much term, really

Coleman got only one year less from the Flamers, although you have to figure having to live in that hellhole adds an extra million a year onto the contract.

• Cheers 1