The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) NYR F Copp going to UFA, seeking 7yrs x 5.5mill

RWJC

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Well teams all sign free agents to long term contracts.  It is just dumb to suggest we don’t just because Player Name didn’t work out.

The trick is picking the right ones to sign.

You've missed the mark. This fanbase had been LIVID about Benning's failed FA signings, citing "too much money and too much term". They've also criticized that the roster was poorly constructed, among many other things. At the same time, the current regime has done next to nothing to change anything, save for two free agent signings with new and unproven imports. It's laughable that one cannot see the hypocrisy about the arguments made against Benning, while saying very little about this current regime's lack of moves. We didn't improve on defense, and there's been much talk about extending Miller (even though we could've made a MASSIVE profit). We could've been competitive, yet have an eye towards the future. That was the kind of return we could've gotten.

Instead, we risk spending more money on a potentially aging player at a term that people are wary of. Yes, we truly have not learned our lessons as a fanbase.

10 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

You've missed the mark. This fanbase had been LIVID about Benning's failed FA signings, citing "too much money and too much term". They've also criticized that the roster was poorly constructed, among many other things. At the same time, the current regime has done next to nothing to change anything, save for two free agent signings with new and unproven imports. It's laughable that one cannot see the hypocrisy about the arguments made against Benning, while saying very little about this current regime's lack of moves. We didn't improve on defense, and there's been much talk about extending Miller (even though we could've made a MASSIVE profit). We could've been competitive, yet have an eye towards the future. That was the kind of return we could've gotten.

Instead, we risk spending more money on a potentially aging player at a term that people are wary of. Yes, we truly have not learned our lessons as a fanbase.

Hypocrisy? 

Benning was the GM of this club from 

May 21, 2014 – December 5, 2021.

thats 7 years and 7 months.

Rutherford was hired December 9, 2021. 
Acted as interim GM until January 26, 2022 when Allvin was hired for the position.

7 years, 7 months VS. not even 6 months yet.

I’m sorry you’re having such a bad case of “blue balls”. :bigblush:

Edited by RWJC
  • Haha 1

Had half a good season with NYR and he gets paid for it. It's hard to value these guys, based on his Winnipeg play he deserves around 4M - 40 point pace for a big strong center is fair. He starts scoring at a PPG pace in NYR's top 6 and suddenly he gets a deal with term but I think a 5M cap hit is fair.

This is the problem with a lot of players and cap structure, their original deals or QOs leave them in their late 20s hitting their prime needing new deals and it usually happens to be that they have massive years in their contract years, so win big deals which handcuff the team.

This is NYR's solution to Miller though, and to be fair Copp at 2C for around 5M makes more sense than Miller for 8-9M and cost them a bunch of good young players.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Had half a good season with NYR and he gets paid for it. It's hard to value these guys, based on his Winnipeg play he deserves around 4M - 40 point pace for a big strong center is fair. He starts scoring at a PPG pace in NYR's top 6 and suddenly he gets a deal with term but I think a 5M cap hit is fair.

This is the problem with a lot of players and cap structure, their original deals or QOs leave them in their late 20s hitting their prime needing new deals and it usually happens to be that they have massive years in their contract years, so win big deals which handcuff the team.

This is NYR's solution to Miller though, and to be fair Copp at 2C for around 5M makes more sense than Miller for 8-9M and cost them a bunch of good young players.

But Copp shouldn’t really be a 2C on a cup contending team though, don’t you think? I guess he works in the event there aren’t other options, which effectively makes him decent depth. But an overpay nonetheless, imho.

Just now, RWJC said:

But Copp shouldn’t really be a 2C on a cup contending team though, don’t you think? I guess he works in the event there aren’t other options, which effectively makes him decent depth. But an overpay nonetheless, imho.

Absolutely they've dropped some quality there, he's a very good 3C who over-performed last year but who knows - if he keeps his NYR scoring pace up of a PPG he's worthy of a top 6 spot for sure. I think Miller's overkill as a 2C, the guy was top 10 in scoring last year, but I guess if you've got a great contending team that's what you want.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I see him as a guy who would ideally play 3C/2LW on a contending team, and he has the versatility to do both really well. I think he should and will get 7x5.5.

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Rutherford has been talking about clearing cap space ever since he took over and keeps on repeating the need to unravel contracts.  He just told MacIntyre they are not where they hoped cap wise, but that to move those contracts they would have to add draft picks.  He's taking a shot at the previous regime for having signed those contracts that no one now seems to want.  

As for Miller, the market isn't as strong as initially believed.  Seravalli says there are far less teams interested in him than initially thought - says strong interest but only from a few teams.  He explains that teams also know they'll have to pay him, so are thinking free agency might be the better option as they don't have to give up the assets to get him and might even be able to get someone younger (- he thinks Miller will be 31 when his next deal starts).

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

Listening to NHL Radio on my way into work this morning and Mike Johnson said he is hearing Copp to DET as he was the C of Michigan and wants to go home. He also mentioned that Kadri may have strong interest in going there as it is not far from his hometown in Ontario and DET has cap space to fit both or add Palat instead who Stevie Y drafted in TB. 

• Thanks 1

Sound elated to be signed by his home team.  Says NYR gave him permission to talk to teams ahead of free agency when it was evident they weren't going to bring him back.  

Edited by mll