The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) EDM to announce signing UFA G Jack Campbell to 5 year x 5 mill AAV deal

RWJC

4 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Lol so much for tempering rules.

Gotta take a genius GM to actually be fined for it. ;)

Might have given him permission to already start talking to other teams once it was clear they weren't going to reach an agreement.  Some teams have - it's simply not announced.

• Cheers 1

the leafs and oilers both crack me up with their lateral goaltending moves. 

hmm, this guy is terrible on the sens, maybe he'll get the job done in toronto. this other guy barely got the job done for toronto, maybe he'll be the saviour edmonton has been looking for since dwayne roloson.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Canadian said:

Edmonton would now have about 10 million to bring in five forwards and two defenseman, just to ice a 23-skater roster. A bunch of minimum contracts upcoming!

Isn’t that how we are filling in our bottom six again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Campbell had no D structure in front of him in Toronto.  

With Woodcroft as coach Oilers finally have a defensive structure the team plays with. Campbell is a very good goalie and it'll show with the Oilers next season.. 

Need Kane re signed and they're in business.  

Duncan Keith retirement made this signing possible. 

he can't play 70 games tho... I wonder how much they'll try to run him out there? Dubas could have easily matched this if he had wanted to, makes me wonder what the assessment was by TO to let this guy walk. I'm wondering if its durability. 

10 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Seems like a risk, Campbell hasn't proven himself to be a reliable starter. 

Him and Murray are forced plays with what the goalie market is right now I guess.

And sounds like the goalie market was all figured out a little early behind closed doors somewhat.

• Vintage 1

So Toronto wouldn't pay Campbell $6 but have no problem paying Murray $4.6? Seems like a very lateral move saving a little bit of money for what seems like an inferior goaltender? I know Murray has won cups, but that was some time ago.

Edited by Harold Drunken

46 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Seems like a risk, Campbell hasn't proven himself to be a reliable starter. 

Neither has Koskinen or Smith. Campbell is an upgrade over them, but he's still wildly inconsistent that's for sure. When he's on, he's a very good goalie.

Edited by Harold Drunken

5 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Campbell had no D structure in front of him in Toronto.  

With Woodcroft as coach Oilers finally have a defensive structure the team plays with. Campbell is a very good goalie and it'll show with the Oilers next season.. 

Need Kane re signed and they're in business.  

Duncan Keith retirement made this signing possible. 

I failed to see any defensive structure in the post season.

i saw the typical AHL  coach with a keystone cop approach and they out scored there total lack of defensive play until they couldn’t. 
I don’t see any difference  over the Quiefs

except possibly a worse D group.  

they needed a goaltender that can actually stop a puck 
They got one. Campbell is a upgrade over the trash they’ve had. They might only have to score 4 to win instead of 8. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, combover said:

I failed to see any defensive structure in the post season.

i saw the typical AHL  coach with a keystone cop approach and they out scored there total lack of defensive play until they couldn’t. 
I don’t see any difference  over the Quiefs

except possibly a worse D group.  

they needed a goaltender that can actually stop a puck 
They got one. Campbell is a upgrade over the trash they’ve had. They might only have to score 4 to win instead of 8. 

Amazing post

Edmonton absolutely needed to try to solidify their goaltending. There are still holes such as lack of scoring depth in the bottom 6 and their defense still sucks, but this was a required step if they hope to win anything.

Watch Campbell fall flat on his face in an Oil uniform. I wouldn't be surprised to discover it was the adequate Toronto defense that kept scoring chances down.

Campbell plays small and reactive.

When I saw him for the first time on TV I figured he was maybe 5'10", but he's listed at 6'3".

Not a fan of his game and he's a product of playing behind a team that's usually on the other end of the rink.

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Him and Murray are forced plays with what the goalie market is right now I guess.

And sounds like the goalie market was all figured out a little early behind closed doors somewhat.

No doubt. Makes Dorion look like a genius for getting Talbot.

35 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Neither has Koskinen or Smith. Campbell is an upgrade over them, but he's still wildly inconsistent that's for sure. When he's on, he's a very good goalie.

You could say the same for Smith.

I think Campbell is an 'upgrade' but enough to lock in for 5x5? That's the gamble. He's their guy now, regardless how it goes.