The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Wyatt Kalynuk

6 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Experience playing under Colliton. Great college offensive numbers too. Will likely run the PP in Abbotsford.

First thing that came to mind when I saw he was a former IceHog and Blackhawk. Colliton most likely had input into this signing. 

Just now, Harvey Specter said:

First thing that came to mind when I saw he was a former IceHog and Blackhawk. Colliton most likely had input into this signing. 

Good catch... 

Just now, Harvey Specter said:

Yea, I mean he put up 9 points in 21 games, including 8 in the last 15, in his short Colliton NHL stint. Like that as a top pairing AHL signing

27 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Lazar and this guy. Did we win anything?

Culture my friend, culture. Much rather have Bains, Kalynuck, Linus Karlsson, Nils Aman, Filip Johannson etc in the AHL than random 30 year old career minor league players signed just to fill a space. At least all of these guys are still young and have a SLIGHT bit of potential. 

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

AHL and needs to stay there.  As long as that is the case, no issue.

Pretty sure he’ll be far enough down the LHD depth chart that we won’t see him in Vancouver unless (a) we’re decimated by injuries or (b) he plays so well that he leapfrogs guys and unquestionably deserves a shot at NHL minutes.

Either of these is, of course, quite possible, albeit not all too likely (well, maybe the injuries one is more likely, sadly)

But I’m not worried about him being pencilled in at anything more than an AHL role to start.

Seems like this was a Jeremy Colliton signing (or at least he advocated for it) meant for the Abby Canucks.

That all said, Kalynuk isn’t without some upside, already has nearly 30 NHL games under his belt, and is still relatively young. He even charts fairly well on some of the player prediction models (for NHL success). Not a bad player to add to the system.

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Pretty sure he’ll be far enough down the LHD depth chart that we won’t see him in Vancouver unless (a) we’re decimated by injuries or (b) he plays so well that he leapfrogs guys and unquestionably deserves a shot at NHL minutes.

Either of these is, of course, quite possible, albeit not all too likely (well, maybe the injuries one is more likely, sadly)

But I’m not worried about him being pencilled in at anything more than an AHL role to start.

Seems like this was a Jeremy Colliton signing (or at least he advocated for it) meant for the Abby Canucks.

That all said, Kalynuk isn’t without some upside, already has nearly 30 NHL games under his belt, and is still relatively young. He even charts fairly well on some of the player prediction models (for NHL success). Not a bad player to add to the system.

He's another defensive liability.  Was hoping that Hunt would stay in the AHL where he belonged last year and we saw how that played out.  No more defencemen who can't play defence.