The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Media didn’t ask any questions about defense.

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

3 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Are you kidding me. They said it wasn’t good enough and have done nothing. Media didn’t even ask him about it. I guess they have all summer but the D is not good. Our media seems to like to play it safe rather than ask the tough questions. He is talking like we are just keeping Miller. I don’t get how that is a great move. Right side D at least. I just didn’t like how Allvin said they were happy with the team after free agency.

Canucks under BB were 7th best for 5v5 goals against.

Also the trouble the canucks had last year in the D zone was when they got overwhelmed they would collapse and just clog up the slot. As the season under BB went on they slowly worked out of this nasty habit that green had them playing for years.

Sure it would be nice to see a younger Dmam who could play and grow with Hughes, but the main problem was not the D group, it was really how the forward group was playing in the D zone

Improved team defence and breakouts is needed more than new personnel at the moment and it seems that will be in place to start the season

You heard it here

Canucks will be top 10 for goals against this season

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Dude.  All I'm saying is management may not feel the need to rush out and get more defense considering what they won with before.

Yup

if the D core won championships Nashville would have been a dynasty

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, Wanless said:

Also the trouble the canucks had last year in the D zone was when they got overwhelmed they would collapse and just clog up the slot. As the season under BB went on they slowly worked out of this nasty habit that green had them playing for years.

Sure it would be nice to see a younger Dmam who could play and grow with Hughes, but the main problem was not the D group, it was really how the forward group was playing in the D zone

Improved team defence and breakouts is needed more than new personnel at the moment and it seems that will be in place to start the season

You heard it here

Once Baumer got the bullet the D went North pretty quick

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

I feel like, unless if we get star defensemen, people are not going to shut up about our defense. Of course, getting star defense is more expensive which then if we even get those star defense these same people would probably complain about the contract, especially if the signing's in free agency where the prices are typically higher.

It's this weird cycle where I feel people are complaining for the sake of complaining at this point.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Here's something to keep in mind.

Letang

Cole

Daley

Dumoulin

Maata

Rhuwedle

Schultz

Letang

Cole

Daley

Dumoulin 

Lovejoy

Maata

Pouliot

Schultz

These are the pens d cores in their back to back cups.

Basically Letang and a bargain bin.

I don't agree this is the way to go, but there's a good chance management is looking at ours and thinking that they've done more with less.

When you have 2 generational players upfront and a generational goalie as a backup, you can get away with a bargain bin defense.

Not a recipe you really want to follow.

49 minutes ago, Wanless said:

You heard it here

Well starting goalie out, we have the Demko advantage on other and he's still honing his game and doesn't stop working with Coaches, having players like him make the difference on any roster. 

That had alot to do with GAA BUT as the season went along with BB it started to get better. 

It's obvious that JT will be traded for high prospect D's that they like in exchange that are are a gamble but trending in the make it category and a few of them so helping the odds of them working into the roster on ELC'S so you can use the cap elsewhere. 

Pretty sure it will be something like that, I hope, no all of the cap raises didn't happen for any other team but it hit us at the worst time and the 75% percent done range we were at got nothing. (Ouch!)

Oh well, we didn't have to trade anything for a JT Miller this year and instead had picks, for "building" for the.. omg.. yeah I'm going to say it.. "future"  (GASP!)  

Laughing here, and thinking out loud the way we're going is going to shock a lot of people (in a good way) 

The only thing that kept me interested that JR mentioned he was looking to address the size issue so we have a balance of skill but tough as other teams in the west caught me by surprise and having depth a priority? Whoa!

Best news I got from the Canucks in 40 years.. 

Is the curse over?? 

Allvin said he doesn't feel pressure to trade Miller. 

"No, not at all," he said. "We're starting the season here with this team as of today and we'll see here if anything comes up that makes sense for us to take a look at if we improve our group by doing a trade or not. But otherwise we're happy with this group we have."

If they're seriously happy with this defense then there's some huge problems with this new management !?

1 hour ago, Wanless said:

Yup

if the D core won championships Nashville would have been a dynasty

Sort of, obviously it works both ways as in a great D and a great F and goalie has a good chance of winning but the best team who has the best by playing TEAM defense usually trump's that.

1 minute ago, iceman64 said:

Sort of, obviously it works both ways as in a great D and a great F and goalie has a good chance of winning but the best team who has the best by playing TEAM defense usually trump's that.

Also look at the New Jersey and Anaheim's cup champs.  Mutliple ways to win, but you need to have at least decent D for sure.

2 minutes ago, Bure2Win said:

Allvin said he doesn't feel pressure to trade Miller. 

"No, not at all," he said. "We're starting the season here with this team as of today and we'll see here if anything comes up that makes sense for us to take a look at if we improve our group by doing a trade or not. But otherwise we're happy with this group we have."

If they're seriously happy with this defense then there's some huge problems with this new management !?

I don't think they do BUT it's a building thing as well, doubt we're going to see any new long term deals given to new D signings in the next 1-3 years until we see how our current D prospects show one way or another 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

I don't think they do BUT it's a building thing as well, doubt we're going to see any new long term deals given to new D signings in the next 1-3 years until we see how our current D prospects show one way or another 

I think this is exactly right.  Back in Feb. JR said that he felt it would take 2 years to be contenders.  

5 hours ago, Zfetch said:

They had an elite core.

None of our wingers compare to Kesell. Podkolzin was an awful pick and Lekkerimaki is TBD but a bit shady. EP maybe is the only one close.

None of our centers are near that level either. Horvat is all we have for the long term.

Defensively I'll give u Hughes for Letang.

But we're still lacking a Crosby and Malkin who are eons above in talent compared to what we have.

vigneault.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I think this is exactly right.  Back in Feb. JR said that he felt it would take 2 years to be contenders.  

True but back then at the time he said that, JT hadn't scored 100 points nor did he have Kuzmenko signed either.. things have changed just a tad .   

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Baggins said:

Pittsburgh had two 1st overall and two second overall picks in four years.

After drafting Crosby they missed the playoffs finishing last in their division.

His second year they made the playoffs but were eliminated in the first round.

His third season they made the playoffs and lost in the SCF.

His fourth season they won the cup

That's with the best player in trhe world at the time. 

We're just coming out of rebuilding. Step 1 for us - make the playoffs.

Done, we all know with BB and not Green we would have done it last season. However we have a better team now. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, philtbc829 said:

Uh Oh Oops GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

well with Alvin the chipmunk saying that they are "happy" with the group that they have....kind of says it all.....doesn't it.....be happy Canuck fans....that is all that they could do....

The thing is, it's one thing to say you want to go a direction, but there are other teams involved also wanting to go their own direction. You have to be able to deal with those other teams and figure out how to go the direction you want. It's business in the end and it's much MUCH harder to do things than it is to say things.

Anyone who thinks it's some easy thing to become whatever team we want and then complain about it when we don't is going through some crazy false sense of self-entitlement.... at best... 

It's like in the real world: nothing gets handed on a silver platter. ;)

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, The Lock said:

The thing is, it's one thing to say you want to go a direction, but there are other teams involved also wanting to go their own direction. You have to be able to deal with those other teams and figure out how to go the direction you want. It's business in the end and it's much MUCH harder to do things than it is to say things.

Anyone who thinks it's some easy thing to become whatever team we want and then complain about it when we don't is going through some crazy false sense of self-entitlement.... at best... 

It's like in the real world: nothing gets handed on a silver platter. ;)

IMO it's fine to have high standards and expectations. Not holding management accountable enough was a major problem with this market with the last guys.

But before the panic button is pushed it's probably best to remember that we're exactly 1 day into the summer and sometimes it's not in a party's best interests to publicize their negotiation position. Saying we're happy with where we are at is just the standard signal to the rest of the league that they need not circle like vultures at this point.

• Cheers 2

Actually I see things improving going forward and it got a bit better at seasons end but the more we get better positioning by Bruce keeping it simple and not take so many penalties that for sure killed us in games we could have won otherwise but some nights we handed games over on a silver platter and expected that Demko would be there every last time was/is unacceptable but Bruce needs to continue "simple high percentage passing plays" which we struggled to do last season but caught our footing but too late. 

Keep it simple Bruce, keep it simple...