The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blue Jackets sign Johnny Gaudreau

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

With the moves they are making, they are positioned to go all in this next season. Miller may put them over the top.

Miller for Boqvist etc, since we seem to be collecting Sweds lately....

yea Id do it in a second but doubt CBJ would.  If we are getting any dman for Miller, id want Schneider above all. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think Canucks fans need to be careful not to gloat too much, this is likely the course of events for us if they don't move Miller this summer

Nope. They don't have a young EP demko or huggy to fall back on

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

20 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

So much for it being a family decision that Treliving and Johnny's agent said it was - Columbus is not a close drive to Gaudreau's birthplace in Salem, New Jersey, and it's not close to Philadelphia (his wife's home)...Hmm, maybe Johnny Gaudreau thinks that the Columbus Blue Jackets play in Columbus, New Jersey???

It's a 10 hour drive. Close enough. I've done it. 

20 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Wow that came out of nowhere.

Man what a F U to Calgary to take less for Columbus Ohio.

It’s still not personal and is an emotional and difficult choice for him to leave Calgary. Columbus is only 8-9 hours in driving time from his house in Jersey Shore. With the Flyers bowing out of the sweepstakes, the Islanders not having the cap space, and any other “close to home” East Coast teams not having cap space or the right situation to sign him; Columbus was the best choice available. 
The Devils clearly couldn’t make the money work in time either as yes they have well over $22,000,000 in cap space. But they have to still re-sign Vanecek, Bratt, Zetterlund, Boqvist, Wood, and Ty.Thompson.

1 minute ago, Underdog7 said:

It’s still not personal and is an emotional and difficult choice for him to leave Calgary. Columbus is only 8-9 hours in driving time from his house in Jersey Shore. With the Flyers bowing out of the sweepstakes, the Islanders not having the cap space, and any other “close to home” East Coast teams not having cap space or the right situation to sign him; Columbus was the best choice available. 
The Devils clearly couldn’t make the money work in time either as yes they have well over $22,000,000 in cap space. But they have to still re-sign Vanecek, Bratt, Zetterlund, Boqvist, Wood, and Ty.Thompson.

This is CDC, we sh*t on Calgary true or not!

Get with the program ;)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Thanks; I also posted that before I knew Calgary's (supposedly confirmed) offer was 8 times $10.5 which is considerable more than 9 point something. times 7?

It's almost a wash for the 7 years (10.5 to 10.3), but that 8th year is a difference maker.  Who knows what's up there.  Did other deals fall through (PHI, NJ), did he just want to get the hell outta town, away from Calgary, Tkachuk, Lucic, Sutter, or anyone else he may be pissed with, or something else entirely.  Maybe he wants a real small market team?

It does seem like an odd move for him, career-wise.  Was reading CP, and there is some seething anger going, but not the outright meltdown that one could have expected.

I would worry about the back end of that contract.  He's gonna be in his mid-30s by then... tying up 9.8 in cap (or 10.5 in Calgary, with an extra year) could be tough to swallow.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

He’d rather live in Columbus than cowgary haha

Columbus is actually a really cool, chilled city. 2 million people in surrounding areas. Ohio State University, and much more than most would know. Could be worse. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Quint said:

Johnny hockey hates Calgary 13 million dollars. Johnny hockey hates Calgary 13 million dollars. Johnny hockey hates Calgary 13 million dollars. Johnny hockey hates Calgary 13 million dollars. 

image.jpeg

Thank you for this. Made my day.