The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] John Klingberg waiting on Canucks to make a move

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I have been talking about this for a few months as a possibility, so it wouldn’t be surprising to me at all.

OEL and he are friends.  There is a story I read  about OEL pranking him by filling his entire hotel room with balloons.

Also we have the Swedish mafia in Allvin and the Sedins to make a pitch.

The guy is good, really good.  He and OEL would be a pair that can drive a crap ton of offence from the back end.  They play defence like Hughes does… by having the puck on their sticks and not the opposition.

How can we have 14-15 million tied up in OEL and Klingberg long term. Be kind of crazy.

I like Klingberg a lot though he’s a heck of a player.

wish we could bring in some cheap rugged defenders who est minutes take pucks like sponges and let Hughes / OEL / Rathbone be more aggressive 

but if they pull a move to bring in Klingberg and improve our D in a way that works out for the best I will be very impressed

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I have been talking about this for a few months as a possibility, so it wouldn’t be surprising to me at all.

OEL and he are friends.  There is a story I read  about OEL pranking him by filling his entire hotel room with balloons.

Also we have the Swedish mafia in Allvin and the Sedins to make a pitch.

The guy is good, really good.  He and OEL would be a pair that can drive a crap ton of offence from the back end.  They play defence like Hughes does… by having the puck on their sticks and not the opposition.

11 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

If we find some good trades for our forwards, I'd totally down for this. I'd the Canucks could add him and somehow get Marino from Pits, this teams defense could look entirely different next year.

That being said, it contradicts what they have been saying all along. JR said today that they didn't like what they saw in the FA for defensemen and would need to be looking for trades to rebuild. 

Regarding trades and going after certain players on the ufa market what JR says publicly has zero value for truth..  he's not going to tell us anything he's upto. If anything  he'll tell us the opposite.  

This business is all about keeping things quiet and not letting other teams know what you're upto. It's all lies and deception until the signature is on the contract and an announcement can be made..

I don't know if there's any truth to this report most likely nothing to see here..  but what JR says means nothing. 

14 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Regarding trades and going after certain players on the ufa market what JR says publicly has zero value for truth..  he's not going to tell us anything he's upto. If anything  he'll tell us the opposite.  

This business is all about keeping things quiet and not letting other teams know what you're upto. It's all lies and deception until the signature is on the contract and an announcement can be made..

I don't know if there's any truth to this report most likely nothing to see here..  but what JR says means nothing. 

To either PA or JR’s credit though they did mention prior to free agency starting that they were looking to sign another F that would slot in to the top 6 resulting in pushing someone down to the 3rd line. 

I was like what? And why? How bout some D? (it was also reported they were intending to trade for D).

but they came through. 
not saying that that’s always going to be the case going forward but I’ve appreciated what communication we have received from mgmt thus far. 

still think though they’ve been hiding something about JTM’s situation.  especially when you hear about the deal being killed between NYI and us. 

I don’t think JTM will sign an extension anywhere except for where it best fits him personally/private life, and as such he will go UFA to command where he wants to play next.

(It’s why I’ve always considered him a trade deadline rental deal at base). This may be hampering mgmt’s movement schedule and intended return.

Just a guess on my part though.

Hope I’m wrong. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

-Move Myers for Hakanpaa (Meets both team needs)

-Sign Klingberg (Hopefully for a slight discount)

-Move Miller for all of the best futures we can get regardless of position

OEL Klingberg

Hughes Hakanpaa

Rathbone Schenn

...and a bunch of futures for Miller.  Works for me and the cap should be just fine.

That would be wild.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I see where you're coming from, but so far he's been pretty true to his word. Said they didn't see any defensemen but may look to add some forwards. Also said they wanted to get faster and harder to play against. I'd say the accomplished both those things today.

To simply use a blanket term that everything they say is a lie and believe no one just seems wrong to me. Sure, take everything with a grain of salt. But I also see value with taking people's words until given reason not to.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

To either PA or JR’s credit though they did mention prior to free agency starting that they were looking to sign another F that would slot in to the top 6 resulting in pushing someone down to the 3rd line. 

I was like what? And why? How bout some D? (it was also reported they were intending to trade for D).

but they came through. 
not saying that that’s always going to be the case going forward but I’ve appreciated what communication we have received from mgmt thus far. 

still think though they’ve been hiding something about JTM’s situation. 
especially when you hear about the deal being killed between NYI and us. 
I don’t think JTM will sign an extension anywhere except for where he wants to play next. This may be hampering mgmt’s movement schedule and intended return.

Just a guess on my part though.

I don't think Miller signs an extension with anyone unless it's close to a 10 million 7 or 8 year offer. 

He'll want to go UFA and have teams bid on him and pick where he wants to go after seeing offers and presentations from multiple teams next summer.. it's a risk but he'll bet on himself. He'll be the best player on the Canucks again and put up another 90pts + season. Next contract will be his last am6d he's planning on loading up a brinx truck and taking it home to his wife and kids.  

• Cheers 2

51 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

That looks like a $7 million by 6 year contract kind of friendship to me!

I saw a translation in the comments “Hey, have you $&!# yourself lately?” … in reference to Klingberg just getting over a stomach bug.

Edited by Provost

Just now, Provost said:

That looks like a $7 million by 6 year contract kind of friendship to me!

Make it 5 years and trade for Marino and all Hughes/OEL/Marino/Klingberg expire together in 5 years. 

Enough time to draft/develop a couple D-man to replace OEL-Klingberg. 

Would need Schenn/physical/defensive types on the 3rd pair though. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Make it 5 years and trade for Marino and all Hughes/OEL/Marino/Klingberg expire together in 5 years. 

Enough time to draft/develop a couple D-man to replace OEL-Klingberg. 

Would need Schenn/physical/defensive types on the 3rd pair though. 

Yep… if they did manage to offload Myers and get Klingberg, I think they need a 3rd pairing physical shutdown pair.

Build from the net out that way is a pretty proven recipe though.  D that can transition the puck at an elite level adds 10 points to each forward. 

Edited by Provost

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

It is an upgrade:

Hughes-Schenn

OEL-Klingberg

Rathbone/Dermott-Poolman

But thats 15 mil in old Swedes. 

3 hours ago, Goalie Interference said:

Can't stop laughing at this ::D

"15 mil in old Swedes" is an awesome band name.

Can double bill with Russel Crowe and his 30 Odd Foot Of Grunts.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, tas said:

does myers score an average of 56 points per season?

No, but he also doesn't get 60% ozone starts and PP1 time. If people think Myers is bad defensively, what does that make Klingberg? I guess you could slap him with Hughes since he also gets 60% ozone starts. But we'd be icing two guys that aren't good at defense at best and are liabilities at worst. And if we stick him with OEL, well OEL had 45% ozone starts last year as he was put in more of a shutdown role to allow Hughes to get more sheltered starts. Something OEL haters don't mention when they torch his stats but that's another topic. We'd have a shutdown pair of OEL and Klingberg. Two guys not known for being shutdown.

Again, Klingberg brings nothing that Myers already doesn't. If he was used in Dallas the way Myers was used here he'd have much fewer than "56 points per season." And if we add Klingberg to the team and kept Myers. We'd have Hughes making 7.85m, OEL making 7.25m, Myers making 6m, and Klingberg making anywhere from 6-7m per. Very expensive blueline considering none of them are true number 1 d-men. And even if you sub out Myers for Klingberg it's an expensive blueline that doesn't have an anchor defender (someone like Josi, prime Pietrangelo, Doughty, Burns etc).

I am not hardcore against Klingberg. Like I said he could find chemistry with Hughes and they become a nuclear offensive option. But I'd rather have a two way partner for Hughes. Ehrhoff had Edler for instance. 2 dynamic scorers with mediocre defense at best on the top pair, you better hope the forwards are great defenders otherwise your goalie is in for a long night.