The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour: [Dhaliwal] Canucks Checked In Rodriguez, Steel & Ronning (UFA's)

I am starting to think we trade one of our extra wingers for a decent RD...maybe Garland straight up for Marino.

Waive Dickinson and Poolman and this gives us enough cap space to sign Rodrigues as 3C ($2.0 - 2.5m x 3) and Steel as 13th forward with some future upside ($850k x 2)

Garland is great but we would still have a wealth of future talent on wing in our pool (Hoglander, Steel, Klimovich, Lekkerimaki, McDonough, Bains, Forsell)

Roster becomes:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Mikheyev Horvat Podkolzin

Pearson Rodrigues Kuzmenko

Joshua Lazar Lockwood

(Steel)

OEL Marino

Hughes Schenn

Dermott Myers

(Rathbone Burroughs)

Demko (Martin) 

On 7/14/2022 at 12:46 PM, timberz21 said:

We cannot afford to have our best players injured, otherwise we won't make the playoffs and won't have anything to come back to.

This is how we got hosed on the Luongo rule. Up next....... The Canucks rule if we try to emulate what Tampa and TO have done we're gonna get slapped with retroactive punishment book it.

On 7/14/2022 at 11:21 AM, Odd. said:

We have no cap room for Rodriguez. We can maybe afford another $1M signing with the LTIR factored in but we are up to the cap. 

Management must shed cap. Dump Pearson for future considerations. Look to rehome another contract such as Poolman. 

Cannot stress this enough. 

As long as they fall under the $1.1m waiver amount, we can sign as many players as we have contract slots for. Whoever doesn't make the team in camp, gets waived.

• Cheers 1

Lots of 3Cs are being undercut this off-season so I wonder if we could sign him for a cool 2M. Rodriguez is a 40 point, 20 goal scoring center but his faceoffs aren't great, Steel a bit worse. Ideally we'd have more of a checking shutdown guy but this would make our team quite dynamic and offensive.

In the ideal world we'd cap dump Dickinson to Arizona (maybe they'd take him for nothing, or we give them a 4th rounder happily) and sign Rodriguez for his money 2.5M x 2 years.

We still have work to do - get rid of 3M cap, trade Garland for a defenceman, but that's another day's work. Garland + 3rd to NJD for Marino?

Pettersson - Miller - Podkolzin

Kuzmenko - Horvat - Boeser

Pearson - Rodriguez - Mikheyev

Joshua - Lazar - Hoglander

Lockwood

Hughes - Marino

OEL - Myers

Rathbone - Schenn

Great top 6, one of the best 3rd lines in the league and that's a big strong 4th line

On 7/14/2022 at 4:27 PM, Goalie Interference said:

May I perhaps interest you in something from the John Klinberg thread? ::D

https://forum.canucks.com/topic/404333-rumour-john-klingberg-waiting-on-canucks-to-make-a-move/

Not happening. Klingberg is not coming here. I would be shocked if he signed with us. And then what makes things even more interesting is what does the team do with their cap issues before the season begins? There’s going to be trades for sure happening so that the team is cap compliant. 

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Lots of 3Cs are being undercut this off-season so I wonder if we could sign him for a cool 2M. Rodriguez is a 40 point, 20 goal scoring center but his faceoffs aren't great, Steel a bit worse. Ideally we'd have more of a checking shutdown guy but this would make our team quite dynamic and offensive.

In the ideal world we'd cap dump Dickinson to Arizona (maybe they'd take him for nothing, or we give them a 4th rounder happily) and sign Rodriguez for his money 2.5M x 2 years.

We still have work to do - get rid of 3M cap, trade Garland for a defenceman, but that's another day's work. Garland + 3rd to NJD for Marino?

Pettersson - Miller - Podkolzin

Kuzmenko - Horvat - Boeser

Pearson - Rodriguez - Mikheyev

Joshua - Lazar - Hoglander

Lockwood

Hughes - Marino

OEL - Myers

Rathbone - Schenn

Great top 6, one of the best 3rd lines in the league and that's a big strong 4th line

How do we get Marino here? LOL 

Is there any free agents out there who can play centre and is good on the dot? 

Other than Marino (who I am not sure how he’s inserted into our lineup with subtracting any player of importance from our roster), I like the roster. They’re deep on the forwards. The defense is where I have concerns…

On 7/14/2022 at 11:21 AM, Odd. said:

We have no cap room for Rodriguez. We can maybe afford another $1M signing with the LTIR factored in but we are up to the cap. 

Management must shed cap. Dump Pearson for future considerations. Look to rehome another contract such as Poolman. 

Cannot stress this enough. 

The thing is that Allvin has stated that he will not add sweeteners to get rid of bad contracts. If he doesn’t do that, how does he expect to get rid of salary to get underneath the cap? I don’t understand what his strategy would be…

On 7/15/2022 at 4:46 PM, BureBurrito said:

Surprising Klingberg and Kadri are still UFA's (have to think Calgary wants Kadri now)...

Other low $$ contract players still around:

Z. Aston-Reese

Anton Stralman

Kris Russel

Michael Stone

Brett Ritchie

None of those guys are really enticing, with the exception of may Aston-Reese. But where does he slot in with the fourth line already kinda penciled in with Lazar, Pearson and Joshua/Lockwood? 

Is Russel or Stralman RHD? 

On 7/15/2022 at 3:26 PM, BigTramFan said:

I am starting to think we trade one of our extra wingers for a decent RD...maybe Garland straight up for Marino.

Waive Dickinson and Poolman and this gives us enough cap space to sign Rodrigues as 3C ($2.0 - 2.5m x 3) and Steel as 13th forward with some future upside ($850k x 2)

Garland is great but we would still have a wealth of future talent on wing in our pool (Hoglander, Steel, Klimovich, Lekkerimaki, McDonough, Bains, Forsell)

Roster becomes:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Mikheyev Horvat Podkolzin

Pearson Rodrigues Kuzmenko

Joshua Lazar Lockwood

(Steel)

OEL Marino

Hughes Schenn

Dermott Myers

(Rathbone Burroughs)

Demko (Martin) 

Marino is now in Jersey. I’m curious why Jersey would trade Marino for Garland? If anything, they’d want Miller, but they can get Garland for cheaper. 

52 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Marino is now in Jersey. I’m curious why Jersey would trade Marino for Garland? If anything, they’d want Miller, but they can get Garland for cheaper. 

When I made that post Marino was still the property of the Penguins and they were reportedly looking to trade Marino.

I can't see NJD trading Marino especially as they have put all over social media about "Big John" coming to Jersey. However, as many have suggested, adding Marino to their roster may allow NJD to trade a different Dman. That might be something VAN is interested in.

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

The thing is that Allvin has stated that he will not add sweeteners to get rid of bad contracts. If he doesn’t do that, how does he expect to get rid of salary to get underneath the cap? I don’t understand what his strategy would be…

I think in terms of draft capital the team has no interest in moving picks out.

But you could add someone like Hoglander ( because apparently everyone is over him lol ) with Myers to move out cap.

Tyler Myers

Nils Hoglander

23' Rangers 4th rd pick 

For

Henri Jokiharju 

23' Golden Knights 2nd rd pick

3.5 million in cap moved, or maybe 1 - 1.5m retained? . The team gets to retain Garland ( for some reason everyone wants to move him )

You grab a 23 year old dman who is a smooth skating excellent passer / puck mover and reliable defensively even if he needs to bulk up. You get a 2nd rd pick in 23 

The Sabres gain a veteran blue liner to help their youth on the back end. A stop gap if you will. They gain value in Hoglander and recover a pick in the later rounds.

I dunno, just thinking out loud

Edited by Mike Vanderhoek