The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Thorpe reinstated as sole winner of 1912 Olympic decathlon and pentathlon

2 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Should have been rectified years ago.  Especially after the original Dream Team participated.   Good to see that it was though.

I could see it not happening because of the Dream Team, since the amateur rules changed to accommodate that.  But punishing a guy for playing baseball (especially minor league baseball), when his Olympic event wasn't terribly closely related just seemed wrong to me.  Makes as much sense as punishing weightlifters who did heavy manual labor for a living.

I remember reading about Thorpe when I was a little kid.  Such an impressive story.

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, Kragar said:

I could see it not happening because of the Dream Team, since the amateur rules changed to accommodate that.  But punishing a guy for playing baseball (especially minor league baseball), when his Olympic event wasn't terribly closely related just seemed wrong to me.  Makes as much sense as punishing weightlifters who did heavy manual labor for a living.

I remember reading about Thorpe when I was a little kid.  Such an impressive story.

Ya, I just thought that allowing full professionals participating in their actual sport would have been a starting point. 

Always loved stories like those of Jim

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Ya, I just thought that allowing full professionals participating in their actual sport would have been a starting point. 

Always loved stories like those of Jim

Yep.  If you're gonna have a spectacle, showing off the best, then bring on the best.

On 7/16/2022 at 10:53 AM, Kragar said:

Yep.  If you're gonna have a spectacle, showing off the best, then bring on the best.

The Communist countries for a while had the edge claiming their athletes were amateurs (which was a joke since although they were given ordinary jobs they all trained full time in the state of the art training facilities).

• Vintage 1