The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Penguins trade John Marino to Devils for Ty Smith, 2023 3rd-round pick

4 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Dang our fans really chasing after Marino. I’d imagine they want Marino on their roster. I believe Severson is in the last year of his contract and they might have a good indication that he wants to test the market or just picked up his replacement for cheap. Pens looking for a cap clearing move seems like a very cheap price for a top 4 RHD.

I bet this is exactly it.  I would get the sense that they know Severson will test the market, so they may as well make a move with a higher hope that Miller would sign with them.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru

Just now, AK_19 said:

Looks like Severson would be on the block now. Miller for Severson+ makes too much sense. 

It doesn’t make any sense at all actually.

Severson is a UFA after the season and just put up almost 50 points. He’s gonna be asking for 7 mil. And he’s almost 28.

Plus I thought we were looking for a D man that’s good in his own zone not another puck mover…

Just now, Kobayashi Maru said:

I bet this is exactly it.  I would get the sense that that they know Severson will test the market, so they may as well make a move with a higher hope that Miller would sign with them.

Or they’ve talked to Severson about an extension and his ask is too high for what he brings. They had an opportunity to use their cap space to deal an okay but small LHD (which are very easy to find) and a mid round pick. NJD not worried about cap space win this deal easy and they have Marino locked in for a decent cap hit.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Doxm said:

This is a very weird trade.... do the Devils flip Marino for Miller now? 

Honestly bizarre.

hamilton

severson

marino

nemec coming soon 

very curious and maybe setting up a Miller trade for sure. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Or they’ve talked to Severson about an extension and his ask is too high for what he brings. They had an opportunity to use their cap space to deal an okay but small LHD (which are very easy to find) and a mid round pick. NJD not worried about cap space win this deal easy and they have Marino locked in for a decent cap hit.

Severson has said he wants to be a career devil though curioussss

As a Devils fan, I didn't like the trade at first, cause I like Ty Smith. 

He had a rough season last year, but showed a lot of potential in his rookie season. Plus they gave up the pick. 
However, now I think something else is brewing. I doubt they would trade for Marino just to flip him, but they might trade Severson. 

I agree with the sentiment that since they missed out on Gaudreau, they might do something impulsive like raising their offer for a Miller trade. 

Severson has scored 11 goals twice, is a RHD, and is still only 27 with his prime ahead of him.

I'm a Devils fan, but being a Canucks fan takes precedence. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

Honestly bizarre.

hamilton

severson

marino

nemec coming soon 

It could be absolutely nothing, but it is a real head scratcher IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Doxm said:

Maybe our discussions have always revolved around Severson and NJ kept saying no as it would deplete their right side.  This could just be a move to fill that need to turn back to us.  To be honest, it makes too much sense for both sides. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Doxm said:

They have the RHD depth to trade for Miller now whether a package with Marino +++ or Severson +

kind of interesting to pits drafts Owen Pickering LHD and trades a rhd for a lhd  

NJ drafts  stud RHD then trades a LHD for a rhd lol 

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It doesn’t make any sense at all actually.

Severson is a UFA after the season and just put up almost 50 points. He’s gonna be asking for 7 mil. And he’s almost 28.

Plus I thought we were looking for a D man that’s good in his own zone not another puck mover…

Perhaps we have different perceptions of Severson but he is a very good defensive dman. I'm not sure why being a puck mover is mutually exclusive from being good in their own zone. Tanev was very much both when he was on this team. As far as the UFA status next year, so is Miller. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

Honestly bizarre.

hamilton

severson

marino

nemec coming soon 

They want to make the post-season.  Nemec has no NHL experience and probably isn't ready yet to make much of an impact.  Past Hamilton, Severson and Siegenthaler their Ds were not really NHL calibre just yet.  Adding Marino gives more time for a prospect to develop rather than have him play too high in the lineup and hurt their chances of getting into the post-season.

Goaltending is still a big question mark - they can't go with the D-corps they had last season.  Not sure they will want to remove Severson just yet.

• Cheers 1