The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Penguins trade John Marino to Devils for Ty Smith, 2023 3rd-round pick

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

Ya I have to think One if Marino or Severson in play here to trade with us.

Do the Devils have a younger centre they could add to Severson?  Be very nice to get both a partner for Hughes and a young centre to play on our third line.  

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He’s not a very good defensive defenseman though.

And at 28 might only have 4 prime years left.

Id rather get a young forward from them over Severson. Look at how much Marino cost. We can get a player like him in the future without giving up our best player.

Severson is not bad defensively, not sure why that assumption is being made of him. 

• Thanks 1

I like Sharangovich as a player but fans on here thinking he is a good option for #3C haven't looked at his faceoff stats, a mere 40%. Yes he can improve but you need solid faceoff abilities from most if not all your C and EP is not the best so having 2 C's well under 50% would put all that more faceoff pressure on Horvat

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

That would certainly shut up those of us that are getting impatient, especially with word out there that Klingberg may be a better deal than some folks have been surmising.

Kuzmenko-Petterson-Boeser
Podkolzin-Horvat-Garland
Mikheyev-Dickenson-Hoglander
Pearson-Lazar-Cheap veteran UFA on 1 year $1 million
Joshua

Hughes-Severson
OEL-Klingberg
Rathbone-Schenn
Burroughs

You get two decent PK duos in Mikheyev/Dickenson and Pearson/Lazar, which we haven't had for a while.

No real shut down D pairing, but three pairings that can be put out with a decent level of confidence.

Potential decent level of offence to be able to roll four lines.

You have your fourth liner Joshua where the UFA should be. He’s gonna make the team.

Dickinson can’t be our third line C he’s atrocious at face offs and failed in that role so badly last year. I think he will be a LW this year.

I’m in the crazy let’s get Klingberg camp too especially if he just wants to be here and play with his buddy OEL and Swedish crazy Vancouver. 

our Defence would be very expensive though with OEL HUGHES Severson Extension and Klingberg signing. But if they could make it work with the cap I’d be down for it. 

It would be an elite puck moving back end and fun to watch that’s for sure. 

OEL-Klingberg 

Hughes-Severson/Marino

Rathbone-Schenn

Dermott-Burroughs

Would excite me 

Edited by R3aL

38 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It doesn’t make any sense at all actually.

Severson is a UFA after the season and just put up almost 50 points. He’s gonna be asking for 7 mil. And he’s almost 28.

Plus I thought we were looking for a D man that’s good in his own zone not another puck mover…

Management has said over and over again that they want someone who plays a good transition game and can help with offensive transition. They've also been somewhat willing to imagine a future where they re-sign Miller at market value 8-8.5.

Severson hits both those checkboxes, is fine defensively and adds a bigger frame than Marino would've to the Hughes pairing - while also being right-handed and having a high enough hockey IQ to mesh with Hughes on both ends of the ice. He's fast enough so Hughes wouldn't have to bail him out as often as Schenn either.

He's also been on Seravelli's trade board last TDL (#14). If he's asking 7M that's less than Miller would cost, in a position the Canucks need much more urgently. He's 27 which is the age Rutherford keeps referencing. 28 is not old despite everyone on this board being traumatized by the Loui Player Name experience

Pittsburgh and Devils have been rumoured to be speaking with Allvin for months. There's a decent chance the Canucks could be involved in a f/u move.

Both teams in a Miller Severson swap assume some risk with the UFA status.

He adds value offensively — his even-strength offense has been worth an xGAR of 8.2. And while he’s gotten a bit of a reputation among Devils fans as a defensive liability, the numbers don’t bear that out — his even-strength defense has been worth an xGAR of 9.6. He is prone to mental lapses on defense, but overall, his results have been among the better blueliners in the NHL. 

Edited by Ilya Mikheyev
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Do the Devils have a younger centre they could add to Severson?  Be very nice to get both a partner for Hughes and a young centre to play on our third line.  

Mercer would be the guy RHC

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Acquiring those two screams of a Burns/Karlsson duo that hamstrings this team for a long time.

That is silly considering the massive discrepancies in term and dollar value.  There is also nothing to say that Severson would be extended.  We would be swapping two veterans on contracts that expire in a year (and don't seem willing to sign extensions with their current teams) and then getting a 1st and a really good prospect... that isn't a loss, we end up ahead in a year.

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Severson is not bad defensively, not sure why that assumption is being made of him. 

“Not bad defensively” is not what we need. We have enough defensemen who are “not bad defensively”

We need a young D that excels in his own end. Severson doesn’t fit the bill.

Hard to believe how much the ask has fallen from fans. From Lafreniere, Schneider and a 1st to Severson. :lol:

Glad our GM is sticking to his guns.

• Thanks 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

“Not bad defensively” is not what we need. We have enough defensemen who are “not bad defensively”

We need a young D that excels in his own end. Severson doesn’t fit the bill.

Hard to believe how much the ask has fallen from fans. From Lafreniere, Schneider and a 1st to Severson. :lol:

Glad our GM is sticking to his guns.

Severson is good defensively with the odd lapse. He's a solid top-4 RHD with a big frame, good in all three zones with a solid transition game. Not many of those around

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Severson has said he wants to be a career devil though curioussss

JT has said he wants to be a Canuck going forward. You have to say the right things and they might even be true. However at the end of the day your agent is going to ask for whatever he thinks your worth plus a little bit more.

7 minutes ago, R3aL said:

You have your fourth liner Joshua where the UFA should be. He’s gonna make the team.

Dickinson can’t be our third line C he’s atrocious at face offs and failed in that role so badly last year. I think he will be a LW this year.

I’m in the crazy let’s get Klingberg camp too especially if he just wants to be here and play with his buddy OEL and Swedish crazy Vancouver. 

our Defence would be very expensive though with OEL HUGHES Severson Extension and Klingberg signing. But if they could make it work with the cap I’d be down for it. 

It would be an elite puck moving back end and fun to watch that’s for sure. 

OEL-Klingberg 

Hughes-Severson/Marino

Rathbone-Schenn

Dermott-Burroughs

Would excite me 

I think it we don't find a more seasoned cheap veteran in that spot that Joshua could easily be on the starting roster.  There are better players that will be left without contracts though.  If we trade two forwards I see Joshua definitely making the roster.

Dickenson is prime for a bounce back season.  He has been too good for too long.

Edited by Provost

1 minute ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

Doubt Devs move Mercer. Sharangovic is mostly like the odd man out with the Haula 3C acquisition IMO

Sharangovich is top-6 wing.  Palat, Bratt, Sharangovich and Mercer are their top-6 wingers going into the season.  

Fitzgerald explained that adding Haula allows to play Mercer in the top-6.  

7 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I like Sharangovich as a player but fans on here thinking he is a good option for #3C haven't looked at his faceoff stats, a mere 40%. Yes he can improve but you need solid faceoff abilities from most if not all your C and EP is not the best so having 2 C's well under 50% would put all that more faceoff pressure on Horvat

I think McLeod might be a better target as the + to a Miller for Severson deal.

Maybe something like Miller + Poolman for Severson + McLeod + 3rd.